Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

What's your best car breakdown story?

Mine was the piston rings blowing out in my motor in the piece of crap Chevy Beretta. Not fun when your car is raining oil and blowing out white smoke 650 miles from home! I know everyone has a major breakdown story. Let's hear them. I'm sure they are amusing.
    My SkEtChBoOk

[URL="www.wftogame.com
    [/URL]

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    I was driving my Skycar home from work the other day when I looked down out of the window and saw that one of my landing pads was missing. I freaked out because it's actually my dad's Skycar and I knew he would be pissed if I returned it home like that. So, I had to backtrace everywhere I had gone to find the landing pad; turned out I had clipped it on some church steeple. The pads are a bit heavy so thankfully it didn't fall on anyone. Of course I don't know how to reattach the pad so I ended up having to call my dad anyways. He hasn't let me take the Skycar to work ever since. :/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I was somewhere in the middle of a hot summers Rome when our minibus broke down in the middle of a circular intersection. The choice was to sit in the ever getting hotter minibus with absolutely no air movement (the aircon refused to work as well) or go stand on the island in blazing heat where at least some air blew but so did the exhaust fumes to wait for a mechanic or a tow-truck. Highly perspirated with a booming headache from all the fumes a gush of wind came by and shooped my flowy skirt all the way up... in the middle of the busy intersection. Counts as one of the most unpleasant and embarrassing moments of my life.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,362 Times in 4,381 Posts
    Mine is when the pipe from the radiator split half way on longish journey. Everything overheated. My husband topped it up and we managed to crawl to a Little Chef where we sat down, had something to eat and decide what to do. The couple on the next table overheard and said they knew a garage that did AA jobs and would show us. We topped the radiator up again as it was nearly dry and crawled to the garage following the couple. The garage had just the part (about £17) and it was a doddle to fix. Random stranger's kindness was appreciated. Did I mention it was my husband's birthday?

During our courting days, the clutch cable on the car went in New Bond Street when my husband was working. He put a note on the windscreen and the next day, with part in hand we went to replace it. Amazingly, the car hadn't been clamped or towed away. We jacked the car up and I fed the nipple on the cable to the right place. We were both covered in oil, but happy.

Please remember I don't drive.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    What does it mean to top up a radiator? Add water?

An AA job... Automobile Association?

A doddle to fix = easy to fix?

the cable has a nipple? Is that just the end of it?

Thanks
    I used to have an old handmedown Honda in my college days that would suddenly shut off while you were driving it. Like, in the middle of the expressway.

I took it to about 4 different shops to get fixed, each time they'd charge me hundreds of dollars, and yet no one every figured out how to solve the problem!

The car shut down in the middle of the road about 5 times, but thanks to God I never got in an accident. Finally, someone stole the car and I was grateful!

Thanks
    dont really have a good breakdown story but its a story.

I used to not wear a coat in the winter alot because i would go from indoors to a heated car then back in doors again. so often times i wouldnt even bother to bring it. it was the middle of the winter and i was chain smoking in the car. As i was going up a steep hill i opened both power windows all the way to let the smoke out. soon as i topped the hillcrest the car died with both windows all the way down. it was like 15 degreess out and i had no coat. it was literally snowing in my car. it took close to 50 minutes for the tow to arrive while i froze with no electrical to put up the power windows and no heat and no coat. anyway. it sucked and i dont smoke anymore so it wont happen again.
    Last edited by Kangum; April 15th, 2011 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks
    My car broke down last year as I was going down a hill and I ended up crashing through the student parking lot at my school. I got a bunch of WTF looks. It probably looked like I was drunk driving or something.
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/robertshirley

Looking for professional work (both freelance and full time opportunities)!

Inquiries: Robertshirleyart@gmail.com

Thanks
    I was driving on I95 at about 85 mph. It was the day I was moving back to Jacksonville for my second year at UNF. My tire blew out and I literally did a 540 in the middle of the road and avoided EVERY car lol.

Then, by the oddest coincidence, someone traveling to the same school for the same reason, stopped and helped me. Good times.

Stuff like that really brings self awareness to the forefront. I felt(feel) very fortunate to be living!
    The Sketchbook of Naj and Stu!:
    SKETCHBOOK

And of course go check out the SB of DefiledVisions

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart DeViva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Well, I had a baseball bat and this one time a car looked at me all-funny-like.....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    One time I realized I was low on gas, and it took me a while to find a gas station. When I actually DID find one, I took one turn too early, but I hoped to get to it by going around the Chick-fila or whatever the fuck it's called. I couldn't, because it was uphill, grass/concrete was blocking my way.

Immediately, my car went COMPLETELY out. Couldn't start it right. Couldn't use the gas pedal.

Stuck.

Tears.

Despair.

Lesson learned: In Texas, white people will either completely ignore you or stare and pity you (mockingly). Black people, however, are eager to help. Three girls parked at just the right moment and as soon as they noticed my situation, they offered start-up plugs and a portable gas pump.

Texas: Where white people are completely. Fucking. Useless. I noticed this three times already. Conspiracy.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 737 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TASmith View Post
    What does it mean to top up a radiator? Add water?

An AA job... Automobile Association?

A doddle to fix = easy to fix?

the cable has a nipple? Is that just the end of it?
    Right on all accounts!

I have a few breakdown stories; it comes from buying cars that are usually over 40 years old I suppose, but the best was on my motorbike. I was on my way back from a night at a rock club with my then girlfriend (on the back of my Yamaha XV535), and I hate to admit it but I ran out of petrol. So we started pushing the bike looking for a petrol station that was open at 2.30 in the morning! Not an easy task... A rather scruffy van went past tooting its horn and stopped in front of us. A rather large and hairy bloke in filthy leathers and denim got out and came over to us. 'You all right mate?' Another bloke equally hairy got out of the other side and came over. 'I've run out of petrol...' I squeaked. 'No worries, we'll take you to a station.' The first guy turned away and went to open the back door of the van. Then I saw the back of his jacket, and stencilled in an arc on the back was 'Devil's Disciples MC', a motorcycle club part of the Hells Angels. About four more of them jumped out the van, and they lifted my bike up and put it in the back. Eek! I thought! I gingerly climbed in the back with my girlfriend, and we got a great ride with a bunch of really friendly guys to a local petrol station that was open! They got the bike out the back and we were on our way. Top blokes! Made me realise that bikers, on the whole, really are in it together, and Hells Angels have mothers too.

A few months later my girlfriend went off with a member of the CMA, the Christian Motorcycle Association. I kind of went off motorbikes after that.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    You weren't hairy enough.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 737 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TASmith View Post
    You weren't hairy enough.
    I was actually quite hairy at the time, but it was restricted to my head. These gentlemen seemed to have hair in places where clothes would normally suffice.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,362 Times in 4,381 Posts
    Biker stories instead.

My kid brother is a biker and were most of his mates. Many years ago my grandmother, at that time using a wheel chair, expressed a wish to go shopping. My brother and all his mates, wearing distressed, painted leather wheeled her over to the local supermarket. Every item requested was searched out and found. She didn't know what to think - hope none of her friends saw her or be tickled pink at the attention.

On biking matters, the driver should warn pillion passenger that they are approaching a humpback bridge at 80mph. Finding the driver in the air, myself pushed forward resulting in driver landing on my lap when the bike grounded was interesting. Sorting ourselves out while leaning into the next few corners was highly amusing.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast