Nakedness haunts the mind!!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

So I did this drawing last night... I applied to a fine arts college and went through a portfolio review, and they told me that all my drawings, my characters looked stiff and lifeless. So I'm working on that, starting with this one.

This is obviously a sex scene, but ended up being a little more than that. The girl on the left is a "good" girl letting the wild out a little. The girl on the right, is the personification of that desire to be wild.

I'd appreciate any comments and criticism... I was denied this time around, so I need to further develope! Help!!

Jarett
    AIM: JarwaStudios
    jarwastudios@gmail.com
    Jarwa Studios
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    righhtttt......

The Soundtrack to the Revolution

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know what the post above is supposed to mean, but maybe this will help. I went to your site, and I noticed that you didn't have any life drawings (mabey I missed them?) It might be worth your time to check out a local community college to see if they have any weekend figure drawing classes. You might get alot out of just sitting down and doing gesture drawings, not worrying about all the little details or reproducing the model, but rather capturing the feeling or motion of the model. It's hard to explain, but if you look up gesture drawings, you'll see what I'm trying to say. Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since you are planning on applying to an art college, the first step would be to stop drawing in an overly-stylized manner. I believe that the more you do, the less likely you are going to be to be accepted. Obviously, everyone has "their own style," yet this really shows little to know knowledge of the small intricacies that make the human body a work of art in and of itself. To a degree, I mean.

I'd suggest taking some life drawing classes (that's still on my agenda), and working on shading.

~.cfb, proud member of the Middle Class.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I may offer an opinion-

Looking at your image shady, I still feel that it's stiff. The man and women both are very angular in my opinion. I'd try to understand the rythm of the body by looking at the muscle and bone structure. I"m no expert myself, but I do know that the body has a very distinct rythm and if you discover it you'll find that it is not stiff but rather flowing (for example: each muscle group flows into the next in a natural and pleasing way.) It's very cool to see... Hope that helps. I agree with everyone else too... life drawing is a must. If you want to develop your own style later that's cool, but you have to know the rules before you can break them.

dyoung

Chance favors the prepared mind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with pretty much everything that has already been said. I advise for you to study more on anatomy, including both the muscular and skeletal structure. Your character's backs are simple one stroke, along with many other parts of the body coming off as so, which is why they come off as looking so stiff. Look at your hand alone and notice all the curves in them, don't rush your work out for the sake of completing it. Quality over quantity.

"You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else." - Tyler Durden

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i agree with what was said above, but i also see a style developing. i'll check out your site and see if its consistent.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks!

The constructive criticism has been great!! Thanks a million!

Now, I've drawn from life, and I've drawn from still photos as reference in the past, and I think I'm just in need of life drawing classes like you've all said. Some people have said "your drawings are too stiff and the lines don't flow enough," while others say "you're drawings are stiff and the flow is too simple." I guess I'm just stuck right now, heh... But, I plan to go to a fine arts school this fall. Not the one I wanted to go to, but something is better than nothing at this point.

So I'll stop rambling now. I do have one question however, now that I know what's wrong with the sketch, what's right with it? Just so I know what to keep.

Thanks again!

Jarett
    AIM: JarwaStudios
    jarwastudios@gmail.com
    Jarwa Studios

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.