Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators and Cartoonists, 2013 Edition!

Thanks
    AUGH
    I got accepted to sva and got some scholarship and really wanted to go, but i have to scrape up more scholarships in order to actually get there.

... uh is there a way i can get financial aid for THIS class? like, would any scholarships out there cover this? i have absolutely no idea how summer scholarship vs fall scholarships work lol
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,022 Posts
    Stragan, I don't think SVA offers any financial aid for continuing ed classes. Just worry about getting things set up for the day school, and hopefully I'll see you your sophomore year.
    Kristen, it looks like this class will be offered again in the fall, after that we'll see, but I'm definitely going to be doing more continuing ed classes. That's good news from the publisher, as long as they're still interested, they're still interested.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Phew then I can wait until fall. That'll be way easier. Thanks!
    "This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -Douglas Adams

My Sketchbook

My goal: To get good enough to post in the Finally Finished Forum.

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Droid
    Thus, why not beg for something slightly more possible? Text or video tutorials on some of the basics, or better still, some DVDs made with Jason Manley and such. Just an idea.
    To heck with hinting, I'll come right out and ask. Is there any way we can get our hands on some of the materials you'll be using to teach this class?

I'd be more than happy to invest in something of that nature...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,321 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Word. We'd need such course here in Finland too.
    Im so gonna second this

Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsakoira View Post
    Im so gonna second this

PFFFFFF who cares about that little ice-cube called Finland ( ).... we need that shit in Germany ! right NOW !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Partisan View Post
    PFFFFFF who cares about that little ice-cube called Finland ( ).... we need that shit in Germany ! right NOW !

And those DVDs/downloads mentioned further up the thread.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

Thanks
    You should come to Oz .... I agree we need this type of stuff over here too ...: )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Last minute, but I'm asking my parents/brother if I could go.
    Blog Thing: http://www.velda.me/
    Twitter Thing: @velderia

Thanks
    Hey Guys,

I just took this class in the fall so I thought I'd chime in.

If you're on the fence for whatever reason, just go ahead and sign up already. The price really is quite low and you’ll get loads of valuable information in return. Elwell is extremely knowledgeable, amazingly so, and he will instantly have the answer to any art-related question you might have. The course itself is designed as a very sensible progression through the fundamentals, starting with perspective (how to build a space), then anatomy (build figures to put in the space), and even things like drapery (how to dress the figures), with the all important subjects of color and composition tying it all together at the end.

Needless to say, no one is able to magically master all the fundamentals in 8 weeks. The wiser way to look at Crash Course is that it's a guided tour through each successive area you'll need to master in order to work as a professional illustrator, including where to find the best info to follow up on each topic. In other words, Crash Course is a blueprint of what you'll need to study and how to go about studying it. Each week you get a taste of what it means to train in a particular area, along with Elwell’s experience and insight to guide you. And if you’re already familiar with the material, it will help you plug in any gaps in your knowledge.

On the last day of class, I was lucky enough to have all of his attention and we sat together and reviewed my work. I am eternally grateful for this and learned a lot. He’s really very sharp when it comes to analyzing exactly what is working and what is not working in one of your images. You will learn much just from being around him, listening, and understanding how he thinks about things. Personally, what I really took away from the course overall is how much harder I need to push myself and how totally bulletproof my skills and portfolio need to become. This was a much needed kick in the ass to get my act together and just put in the hard work. Thanks for everything Elwell!

-Greg

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greg Lambrakis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,022 Posts
    Thanks so much, Greg!

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Hi Tristan. Any chance all or part of your lecture is available online or as a download? I didnt see this mentioned in the links you posted, so I'm fairly sure it's not an option, but hey, it doesnt hurt to ask.

For the record, if you had an instructional dvd available, I'd buy it

Thanks
    Likewise, I'd definately buy a DVD if you were planning on doing one.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast