From the Head or From the Hand?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

From the Head or From the Hand?

*POP*
    I think this is my first thread on CA.

It has recently been brought to my attention that when not drawing from Life I almost exclusively draw 'from the hand' which is to say NOT from my head (er... primarily).

Has anyone else got a particular leaning and feel a certain way about where their art and designs come from?

I wonder if this habit is more or less applicable than drawing from the head in concept art or story boarding!

Could it be I have a terrible case of obsessive, 'advanced doodling' that dooms me to doom, doom and doom? (I hope not!)

-Greg

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The way that I typically do my paintings is to just placing random scribbles. But, I guess that I would say that I work from the head. From the random scribbles, I start seeing shapes that I like and control where the shapes go.

Once I'm happy for the basic shapes, I then start looking through my reference photos or plein-air paintings to see if I have anything that matches those shapes.

Dougie

Thanks
    Thanked 5,926 Times in 2,380 Posts
    Before you make a mark you should know its angle, size and shape otherwise you are just mindlessly filling the canvas. Amateurs do this, waiting for an idea to come to them.

Get in the habit of thinking about what you do before you do it. Someone who paints with authority and knowledge will always trump someone who is unsure of what they are doing.

Last edited by dpaint; April 12th, 2011 at 10:20 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good point, dpaint. I should have mentioned on my post, that the random scribbles, etc is always on thumbnails on pieces of papers. I never touch the canvas until I have the full drawing done with the values laid out.

In my mind, if the thumbnail looks good and interesting (just being a black and white value drawing), then the painting should be interesting. I rarely deviate from my initial drawings.

Dougie

Thanks
    Thank you both for your insights!

I particularly like the idea of allowing the random/chaos of free flowing scribbles being a lens for picking through reference. I can imagine a great free flow-authority loop coming out of this alone... it's Something to try anyway!

I definitely learned this from Andrew Loomis re: Composing interesting pictures.

sometimes really neat things emerge, but I think it's time for me to give the formed ideas in my head a chance to come out and play on the page, too.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,544 Posts
    I think all drawing and painting comes from the head. Except, you know, when you use one of those neat pendulum pens, a spirograph or a "Spin 'n Paint" (for the younguns those are all ancient, secret drawing and painting mechanisms).

But yeah, what dpaint said. People draw in strange and mysterious ways though...when I'm working from life I try to understand and translate what I'm seeing...when from imagination I envision something and just try to get it the hell out of my head.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.