Feedback on character sketch please!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Feedback on character sketch please!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Feedback on character sketch please!

Ok, let's see what this is like from the other side

This is a preliminary sketch of a male feline character that exists in a sort of Grimm meets McFarlane type of world, where he represents a diminishing race of feline mutants (for lack of a better term). His purpose in life is to fight off the evil monsters that plague the human-populated villages and towns surrounding his home in the forest; however he scares the living shit out of regular humans, so while he is loved by some he is also hated by others. Ok he may have eaten a sheep or two to stay alive

In the sketch, he's just doing a big ol' swipe with his left arm, like he's fighting off some bad guy or lopping down a tree or something. I know some parts of the sketch read badly, but please do your best (or worst). I'm open to all feedback, but here's also some stuff I'm particularly interested in...

• I went minimal on the costume. He has pants and light knee/shin armor, but other than that he's sporting the Hulk look. I like this to be honest, because I feel that a more elaborate getup might be too contrived for this character. What do you guys think?
    • For a little while, I thought that his wrists were a little boney, but it's grown on me since then. Again, just wanted to see what others think about this.
    • In the original, full size version I have the ears positioned like on a human. But I was afraid this might detract a bit from the feline look, and start to look a little like an ape or bat or something. What say ye?
    • He has four claws, which includes a thumb-claw. Does this bother anyone, given that neither cats nor humans have that?
    • Any suggestions for a name?

Thanks thanks thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The wickerwork of lines you've got there is mighty expressive, but I find it a bit hard to read.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    arenhaus I was debating whether to post it since it's so rough. I think you still get the general feel of the character, which is enough for now. I'll play around with some details as well. Again just quick stuff, cause this is kinda brainstorming at this point.

In the claw sketch, I just wanted to show that it's bare skin with basically a mess of tendons and veins running through. Very bony, except for the little pads under the feet claws, but even they are rough and highly textured almost like elephant skin.

In the face, I'm trying to get across a stern but kind look. And also showing some of the battle scars that this creature has endured over the years. It's fur is a little bit tattered as well. And I also forgot to mention in the last post that its whiskers are gigantic, like 4 feel long or so (can't see it in the closeup though).

Again, all thoughts welcome. How's the character coming along, etc.

Cheers!

Attached Images Attached Images  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,654 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it could be good to decide whether you want it to be a cat to human mutant, human to cat mutant or just a fantasy race, and decide the attributes from that.
    Okay the four claws bother me, because both cats and humans have five clawed toes/fingers in their front paws/hands.
    Also be sure not to go for the "long, straight nose" or you'll just find yourself having a generic werewolf.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your stroke expressions, powerful and confident. I think its better with the ears on top, it keeps the feline feel intact. As for the claw, it looks abit awkward with the thumb though, but or you want to explore more on claws and paws? Maybe come up with claws like those of a cat, which the claw can be kept in the paw.

Nontheless, it looks terrific, and i really like your lines

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, good to see you around in the crit forum again, and submitting your own work for crit, no less!
    - I also have to say that the expressive lines are cool, definitely gives life and visual excitement to your sketches.
    - I think the ears in the upper position is a no brainer unless you want that Thundercats look (not knocking that ).
    - This comes down to character design, but I'm getting more of a bird claw look from his hands than cat claws. Just a brainstorm thought, but what if you went the opposite way and worked in extra (long?) tufts of fur on the backs of his hands to give his hands a lot more visual mass? Would that look fruity?
    - I'm wondering if you have good reason for making his whiskers so long, as I'd think that would be a liability in battles. I could understand that trait if maybe he were blind and used the whiskers to feel the air movement for sight. Just curious.
    - This probably wasn't too important in terms of your sketch, but that swipe in the first sketch looks more like a mid running/leaping action than a swipe. I'd expect the leading shoulder to be extended a lot more.

Otherwise, looking cool and looking forward to more stuff!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.