Sketchbook: Get it by your hands--- 2009-2012 - Page 8

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Listened to the wrong voices today didnt do all that much and ended up not doing my morning lifedrawing thing, so this is all I really got to show. Decided to take out the other character, still need to refine the composition more, not balanced yet. Want it to feel silent and airy.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 917 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook
    have a good one
    -Jamie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the last few post there is renewed motivation but feel they seem a bit rushed as if you wanted to catch up for lost time?

I agree with jatherip by throwing out some longer studies in the mix. I do see some improvement in your figurative work.

Here is some inspiration for your top drawing that might help. The girl in the picture seems to be in the search something, wandering and lost:
    http://erwinsart.deviantart.com/art/...ssing-81516331
    http://erwinsart.deviantart.com/art/...urney-81516704

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    Thanked 1,674 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Dylan

I'm not sure why people study from photographs; I'm especially unsure after what I learned from Mentler.

In a photograph it is all too easy to NOT see the third dimension, because a camera is not designed to depict the third dimension. In fact, it is expressly designed to take (what amounts to) a distorted view from a single point in space and project it onto a flat surface.

When we see with our eyes, we have depth perception; it's automatic. Therefore, what we see with our eyes is much different than what we see in a photograph... but it's our mind that interprets the photograph as dimensional.

When copying the photograph--if done without thinking about volumes--that sense of depth is easily lost, because you're copying lines, blobs of color, etc.

You almost need another layer between yourself and the photograph; you need to be conscious of the difference between the photograph and what your mind is perceiving. That way, you can take cues from the photograph (reference) and build the structure on the paper just as if you were drawing from life.

This is why Mentler suggests trying to "flip" the image (horizonallly) in your mind when working from photos--it forces you to take that step and actually think about the volumes in space. Otherwise, it's too easy to miss that stuff and your drawings look stiff and distorted.

In other words--there are more steps to working with photographs than the typical beginner/intermediate student will do to work with a photograph correctly. You may see Vilppu working from photos; but don't underestimate the importance of HOW he works with them; he builds up forms after laying in the action lines.... he uses boxes that show the forms in space. He's thinking dimensionally when using photos.

I think that it's MUCH too easy to (when working mostly from photos) miss the step of thinking dimensionally, and going straight toward trying to make an accurate copy--using lines, measuring angles, etc.

With a painting or another person's drawing (master works usually) there's not the problem of distortion (unless it is intentional...) that the camera gives you. So it's much easier to learn (IMO) from master works than from the camera.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still pluging away at this ones design. I can see fairly clearly where I want this to go. Gona finish this sketch then move onto I think the last sketch? Planing on getting a friend to pose for some reference. I'm not sure about the cast shadow going over her though, it's a little obsure and awkward but ill try my best to make it work. The idea of haveing some snow piled up over her in such a way that would suggest some time has gone by.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff from today. Spent a few hours makeing a wallpaper for my desktop weee I'm thinking of subing my gestures for just studying the figure though. Like overlaying the mucles over top of figure drawings and stuff =)

Gona redue this Corot study tommrow. It's really poorly drawn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love your gestures. the portriats are impressive too. i would say you are lacking in structure though, everything could be more refined. by that i just mean you get the pose/proportions down but dont add enough "final lines" if that makes sense. Darks and defining the masses mostly.

keep up the hard work

Art and kindness are my weapons of choice.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Snow Lion: Thanks for stoping by, yes I think I know what you mean. Everybodys been saying it =)

Some poop from today. Ill do better tommorow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got lazy yesterday after 9 hours of work and my productiveity just fell though the roof. NOT FUKCING TODAY THOUGH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About to go out for the night can't wait to get back and do some studies since I havnt got around to that today Ill through what ever I do tonight into my update tommrow. Here is more work put into my Corot study and a line drawing of my liveing room which was quite hard for me actually. I NEED to study perspective everyday from now on. Color, anatomy, figures, imagination drawing and perspective. Gota work on all of that!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dec13

Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 1,086 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you have some nice traditional studies going on here! your traditional painting seems like it will have a really nice end result
    your anatomy and figure studies are quite awesome too and from the looks of that wallpaper you did, your perspective is quite good too!
    a bit more colour study -theory seems all that needs some extra polishing up in my opinion, or just be careful with those saturation levels of yours

good luck onwards!

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like your drawing in post#215, the shading is quite nice and even DDDDDD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stuff from today

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shit was lazy today, ill remedy that by makeing my hands bleed from drawing tommorow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff dude. You've got good dedication, but I don't want you to get too complacent!

Great colours in this still life, reminds me of the pallets Shelly Wan uses.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies. Cool oil paints. Nice to read your time table too Merry Christmas!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the improvement and dedication in this thread! keep it going!!

My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I need to work on being more realiable. If I say I'm gona stick to something I gota do it I mean when I run away for days at a time people lose trust in me! They want to see big updates everyday, and it makes everyone happy when they see those kind of people! I know it makes me happy looking at those kind of people.

Here is just some random stuff from past few days. I need to work more on painting,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheer's to a day with out dicking around! Think I can see where I want my character I'm designing to go. Some life drawing. A shitty doodle and I began doing some animation today to ball drop But not done so no point showing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gesture studies are looking great keep it up!!
    By the way something in this thread remembers me "Paranoia Agent" Damn what a twisted and mad series

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Andres: Thanks man, dude I loved that series, it made me wana animate..

Forgot my pencils at school so ill do that tomorrow. Here is stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice to see someone else has been active while i wasn't, you'r doing great man. I see life-drawing is really helping you with the shapes there huh? I should take some classes too. Anyway, i kinda see your point about improving more if you paint too, dunno why i didn't think of that. Have been feeling that i'm getting a bit too comfortable actually... which, needless to say, is not a good thing.

Do i see some Ghibli stuff btw? Haha, i love their movies, especially Mononoke-hime. =D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo man! You are back! No more dicking around OK?!?!?!? Keep up the pace cause it will pay off big time, believe me! Someone has been watching the ChiuStream lol I recognize the study!
    On your animation... the start is very slow, it looks like its floating too much and it stretches in mid air. That can work for really fast movements but not here. You want to use the stretch after the ball squashes on the floor. See Richard William's Animators Survival Kit book for all your animation needs (seriously good book). So dont stretch the ball in mid air. Try keep it a regular ball shape when not many forces is pulling/ stretching it big time (eg/ in mid air). A trick is to stretch the ball just when it contacts with the floor, this is a trick to help sell the 'contact.' Then you get the squash... anticipate it and hold it for a few frames on the ground before the ball is off again and when it flies off again, give it a stretch but then when its off in the air again... keep it a regular shape.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, Dylan! Thanks for visited my sketchbook. You have a nice thread here, yourself (and much more active )! Keep doing the studies, you're improving much. I see your lines are much more thoughtful this time. Proportions are getting better and your digital stuffs are doing great also

Keep this thread up, will ya?
    Cheers.

I'm making mess here: Sketchbook .
    also on dA and blogspot

Cool people:
    Rotor | Kristoff | Kingkostas | Angel Intheuk | bbwolf

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to agree with some of the others and say slow down, pay attention to what you're doing and retain what you've learned. You have a lot of potential, so it's time to stop fartin' around and take your skills to the next level. There's some really nice work in here, but since this sketchbook is nearing its first anniversary, the overall improvement should be more evident. C'mon man, show us what you can REALLY do!

If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all. -Michelangelo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Dylan, good work matey! Miyazaki? Hot hot hot! My favourite. Life drawing's look amazing!! Keep it up +stars!

Last edited by AlexTooth; January 10th, 2010 at 03:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice SB mate, thanks for dropping in and checking mine. As everyone says, keep at it, keep trucking. That bloody cold there right now, beats me you can even hold a pencil or brush. Cheers from downunder.

Please check my SB and crit, I need help.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=155203

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doncam: Hah thanks man! It's actually a few degrees above freezeing right now and I find that kind of weather wonderful. It can get very cold but right now something called a "chinook" which is a warm wind from the mountains is blowing makeing it warm!

Alextooth: Thanks bud!!!

Scribble King: I agree to. I think I am on the right track with what I'm doing for the time being. I mean I do spend 3 hours on these painting belive it or not haha! Just will take some work before I can take them farther.

Witcrack: Thank you very much I will keep this thread up, see you again!

Bendragon: Thanks for the encouragement man makes me feel very good! NO MORE DICKING AROUND FFF-YAAAA. I hit up Richard Williams stuff yesterday also pirated his DVD's hehe. I'm gona study it very closely.

Imaginary: Hey thanks man, don`t worry you may have not kept it up but dude you can always start right now and just keep on going. I mean Randis on this site said there was a time in his life where he completely stoped drawing and painting for a whole freaking year. Talk about loseing it! But he`s back and just keeps going and going.

Here is my update for today and yesterday was gona update yesterday but decided to just mush it all into tonight

I drew a portrait today of the same black women I did a lifedrawing last week that I was VERY happy with actually can`t wait to show you all tommrow 2 more studies and a fail study that I gave up on of the bust. Some drawings and more animation

Cheers!

Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.