Sketchbook: Get it by your hands--- 2009-2012 - Page 10
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Get it by your hands--- 2009-2012

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    When studying Bridgman, for now instead of worrying about muscle shapes and the outline of the figure, worry about structure.

That's actually what Bridgman is giving you. Half of his illustrations near the beginning of the Complete Guide give you almost all the information (they're all blocked out), the rest are trickier.

The very first paragraph of the book reads "This is the story of the blocked human form... Its purpose is to awaken the sense of research and analysis of the structure hidden beneath."

Drawing isn't about feelings; drawing is a science. Art may be about what you feel, but drawing isn't.

Try this; lay a piece of trace over the book and see if you can't do something like I've shown. Find how the underlying structure connects things. Hopefully, you'll eventually begin to see everything like that. Then, move on to study other artists (masters) and see the structure in their stuff. Use tracing paper.

The inner (detail) lines and the contour are your enemies right now. Look for structure.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    P sage: I appreciate how you demonstrated that. I will do some of that stuff and try applying it to other things

Didn't feel like scanning anything in today. A start on a Rubens study.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Feb 12-13 don't want to show anything else.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Solid stuff, man. Really it's starting to hold together better. When you're studying masters, be sure to check for radiating and coincident lines. It will not only blow your mind, it will show you how they thought about the design.

How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice studies mate! Keep it going you monster!!!!!
    You havent quite suggested what the drapery is doing, lets give that some attention! The anatomy digi is good, but Id like to see you go tighten it up more, the loose marks can hide uncertainty of what the anatomy is. Keep rocking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice studies mate! Keep it going you monster!!!!!
    You havent quite suggested what the drapery is doing, lets give that some attention! The anatomy digi is good, but Id like to see you go tighten it up more, the loose marks can hide uncertainty of what the anatomy is. Keep rocking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates Dylan. Not much I can crit, you're learning that's the main thing, just keep pushing it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The rubin study is coming out nicely. Keep pushing it.

In the male figure painting his legs look a bit bulky.

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

SenEnd's Sketchbook

Hello my names Dylan, I am 20 years old.
    Feel free to leave a comment!

-----

Vatsel gave me an idea to sort of "sticky" advice I think is really good and sound on my first post.

P Sage: >>>

Quote Originally Posted by p sage View Post
    You do have to be a bit fussy compared to an ape with a paintbrush but... if you get to the point where you can't move... and you're afraid to put down a mark, that's too fussy.

Taking 10 hours on something like that still life isn't good use of your time; someone of your expertise should be able to do something even slightly better than that in about 90 minutes.

You just have to trust the self-correcting nature of measurement. Be exact, but only up to a point. If your measurements result in fractions, don't worry about it. Guesstimate. And use a scrap of paper to keep your measurements on. That is KEY. Don't use the tip of your pencil or your measuring stick. EVER. Going to a small scrap of paper really helped me. It's like training wheels, but soon I won't need it.

And I don't think you're lazy at all; I just think that your subconcious knows that you're worried about wasting time in your next study. So what do you end up doing? You watch one more anime. You go to the store. Paradoxically, you procrastinate--the very thing you DON'T want to do.

But if your practice is deliberate and you have a goal in mind, and the instruction is correct... don't fear it. Just do the exercise.

The key to knowing you didn't waste your time is the realization right after you've done the study that you could have done something better. That's progress. You will immediately see some mistake, and realize what you could have done to avoid it. That's learning.

Good luck with your goal, and by all means keep it going. You may find (like I did) that it changes as you go, but keep working toward it.

Vatsel : >>>>

Quote Originally Posted by Vatsel View Post
    edges.............polish................stroke economy

You had it going on the last page, dont go back to old habits,
    Try to go for maximum polish for now, and then loose will be much easier.

In general, making loose "work" isnt just about visible brushstrokes,
    you have to know the forms and local colors very well + your edges need to be awesome.
    A painterly look has smoothed out parts in some places anyway, so learning that is a must.
    Mairuku: >>>>
    Quote Originally Posted by mairuku View Post
    an inspiring note my old drama teacher wrote to my friend. i replaced the words "actor" with artist. Every artist, in the end, has to teach himself. That means taking responsibility in a way that is often lonely and confusing, but also, ultimately, exhilarating. You see, the kind of artist you become is up to you, not your mentors, or teachers, or drawing classes. Those people and institutions exist to serve you as you learn. But the learning is personal, and is an ongoing and highly demanding struggle within your heart and mind, no matter who you're with. Remember too that an entire community of people invest themselves in your growth as an artist. So it makes sense to be humble. But again, in the end, if you really want to live your life as an artist, you must follow a lonely path.

Last edited by AlexEh; May 26th, 2011 at 02:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is some stuff from this weekend. Lots to work on, right now I've been focusing alot on rendering and hatching. I need to learn how to control my marks and let them follow the form more. Then there's anatomy to work on and lots more

Dont have a whole lot of time to draw in next few days due to exams but soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uhmm, might be a little bit of a inconvenient for anyone following this sketchbook but, I had a big urge to make a new one for awhile now. I kept fighting it off thinking how dumb that was, I might as well keep this one going, makeing a new one wouldnt make updateing any more important to me!

Maybe it will? There is something nice about makeing a new one Never really felt to attached to this one. You all feel attached to your sketchbooks right?

Anyways thank you everyone for commenting. I've been trying to leave a helpful crit in everyones sketchbook since I tend to just not really give out good crits! Krato gives out good crits, I wanted to do the same. Encouraagement is nice but crits are nicer.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=182059

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo, new sketchbook! nice! i like the paintings....you're improving soo much there well, pencils need more work, especially on muscle structure.... even if you draw clothed figures you should consider the bonesmusclesandeverythingstructure more
    keep at it, mate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dont forget about the anatomy!!!! More attention is needed in the construction, maybe you are diving into the rendering of the outside too early. Id say try doing some gestural figure constructions to solve this problem. Get the inner constructions down first so you can build on top of that foundation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    less scratching, more blending of strokes and more still lifes - keep it up warrior!

Last edited by Vatsel; February 23rd, 2010 at 06:42 PM.
    VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bendragon: Thanks! I lost focus on that stuff for awhile. Gota get back to doing it along side my new interest in rendering. Infact lets just get back to drawing 12 hours a day =)

Jatherip: Thanks! Tottally, clothing will look flat if I am unable to suggest the structure underneith.

Vatsel: Yes!! These things are what all true warriors strive for!

Hmm got an idea today, I should carry around some good solid drawings with me that I feel are doing the things I need to work on well. I then could reference these drawings while I'm drawing and try and understand what they are doing right and what I am doing wrong.

Anyways some scratchy junk, didnt have much time to draw today. So many wierd things going on in these, and alot shouldnt be happening! I gota think more

Sorta from my imagination. Looked at something a few few momemnts and then tried drawing from my memory. If they were still there I would look back if i felt very stuck.

Last edited by AlexEh; February 23rd, 2010 at 04:44 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Less scratching and more blending of strokes I say!
    go the extra mile!

And you're starting something beautiful with the daily pace here *sniff* *sniff* you better keep updating daily ya hear?

VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I click on Dylan's thread and my immediate reaction is...

nani?

Where in the is Dylan's thread? You've torn down the building mate!

OK... some renovation is in order. Dylan's serious now

Good work in here so far... a little globby with the digital paints... but you're still kind of wetting your feet. That's cool. Keep this one going. Forever That way you'll have a legacy of learning right here. For you and all readers

How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wah
    ok I was confused for a minute because I remember stopping by here before and seeing more pages, and then I was like "oh new sketchbook..."

Figure paintings look great! Were they done from life?

I think with your pencil sketches, you should hold back from overshading because I see a lot of grey, but you want to hold back a bit more where there are lighter areas and highlights.
    Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kim_bot: The paintings are done from life, 3 hour sessions with 5 min break every 25 min. Ya I held off on making a new sketchbook for awhile since I felt it was unnecessary, but I ended up doing it in the end.

p sage: I tore the whole place down, I think it will be cleaner and more organized this time!

Vatsel: Right on! No bullshit!!!

I didnt have any time to really draw yesterday! I was animating all day for class. Have one more week with it. Gona fix some things up and make layouts for it.

Today I'm going to focus on just studying.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some junk, was happy with some of it dispite all the screwups.

Tommrows all about drawwwwing! No painting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with a lot of people here, I'd tone down the shading or drop it altogether for now while you get your foundations a bit more solid. Shape is definitely something you should be looking at, as in "volumes", 3D shapes. Gesture drawing or learning proper construction will sort you out there

There's quite a noticeable difference between your digital and pencil life drawing, I'm not sure what's going on there. Are you doing anything different?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for comming my doodle book,,, Nice drawing! I should do more life drawing as wlll. Anatomy is always a tough issue for me,,,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check the proportions on the figures and less scratching, try to really limit yourself

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARrrr

VatselArt@Gmail.com

Vatsel.com

Facebook page . Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, man, I' m glad you doing well) Your nature digital works are very good. Besides, congrats with new SB!
    You know I've been dreaming about my own animations for many years, I probably should show you my trainings in this way. Actually I'm on to comic books right now.
    Anyway check my SB, I've got some new stuff)))
    Best wishes!

The One choose the hardest way only when the easiest seems like insult of His dream.

Sketchbook by Naram

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Dylan,

In that top one, you got the overall shape reasonably correct. But the reflected light on the right side of the conical form (the cone-shape) is too great. Next to the core of the shadow, it makes the shadow look darker by comparison. Because the contrast is higher, it calls attention to itself. You may want to make the rim of the cylinder shape (the outer shape) to have the highest contrast.

Watch the ellipses on the can... it seems to be tilting a bit toward us. I know you're drawing what you see... but bring some structural knowledge to drawings like that... it can really help. Think about cross sections in the can and at what angle the planes are tipping. If you're looking at a can, you can get that right from the top of the can. Be meticulous when you're looking at it.

Good work. Pushing yourself is definitely giving you some improvement.

How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The animation is still a bit mechanical but definitely shows character interacting with the ball and lightness of the objects. I think you improved from your last animation test. Animation is hard O_o.

Nice new sketchbook.

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pigeonkill: Totally looks mechanical, its because a lot of the movement is constant and that's noooo good! Ill fix that up next time

p sage: Thanks, lol ya i see that thing with the top of the can now... Fuck! Though I would look at it for like 5 min at a time trying to understand what the heck was going on with the light. had a lot of very subtle changes.

Naram: Sweeet ill see you on the other side Lots for us to learn.

Vatsel: Ya, but mannnn when I'm painting I see so many mistakes and I have to adjust things many times. It leads to things looking overworked.

I gota get better at drawing! I can't draw so how can I paint!

Queenworm: Your welcome, anatomy is a tough one, but then again everything is

NeonDuck: I hear you I need to work on the basics more. I disagree with drooping the rendering though, I suck at that, just like I suck at construction and everything else, I gota work on it all. Thanks for reminding me!

Hmmm well I didn't have any pencil life drawings in this book up until now. Those are all from my imagination. I'm getting back into doing more life drawing with pencil though. Thanks!

Ok some stuff. I gota work on my pencil drawings! I can't forget about those. Whoooooa something weird is going on with that girls arms, ill work on her more tomorrow.

Some figures mostly from my head some form this awesome pose book. A still life of my cast, and some lame stuff from my head. My drawings are not doing anything its retarded. Just stand there like morons, I gota fix that! I gota make them more interesting too as Ryanoir pointed out on MSN. They all wear same cloths, same hair, same face. Omg.... how sad

Last edited by AlexEh; February 28th, 2010 at 01:46 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    all your drawings look the same, you gotta broaden your horizons
    not everybody has that same hair, wears the same clothes has the same face.
    you said that your drawings are boring, make them what you want them to be, what you find is interesting.
    a nice rendered drawing doesnt beat clean lines, do contour drawings maan. your lines are real hair, one strong line will beat that so good, itll make your drawings better than they are. keep it up brooo!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ryanoir: ya dude, alright I'm convinced. I gota stop just rendering the fuck out of everything. Lets just worry about structure and if ANYTHING, suggesting structure with some rendering.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexEh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great start here!

Don't worry too much at the moment with all your characters from imagination looking the same. I was in the same boat. the more you draw from life the more your visual library will grow and that will feed subconsciously into your imaginative stuff.

Gesturals (with clothing) from life is the best, my sketch group meet up every week in front of a large tram stop, and we all draw the people waiting to come or go. the change every 2 mins, so you gotta be quick. No rendering, just enough detail that a person can look at your sketch and say "that looks like a person in a hoodie wearing a shoulder bag, with their weight on the right foot".

keep up the good work! and post those sketches!

sketchbook

Melb gra-FIGHT CLUB is on!
    Details here.

Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1