Holding a star wip

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Holding a star wip

Any advice or comments would be appreciated. Although not really the face- I haven't quite gotten there yet (I'm planning on just having her looking down at her hands)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    She's reminiscent of the Corpse Bride to me, which is a good thing because I think she's beautiful. I honestly don't see anything wrong with it but I like how it's coming along, keep doing well!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    There's an odd conflict with this, the face is sunken and thin, the waist is thin to corset levels, the neck has tendons visible but the legs, arms and breasts are full. Are you trying to go for a thin-looking style? If yes, you should push it harder.
    Also here's a ref for the female torso: http://www.superstock.com/stock-phot...ges/1804R-2823

Also the hands look very tiny and child-like, the knees seem to "meld" together (if she's putting the right side leg forwards, it doesn't show in the crotch area) and there's this irritating un-symmetry going on. It's like the pose it trying to be symmetric, and it would look good symmetric, but little things like hand placement and hip ..."knobs" (I guess those are trying to be hip bones?) are off. Actually the whole figure is leaning, but I don't know if this is just a photo issue.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    You can't look at the object held in your hands like this without bowing your head.
    And the mentioned anatomy issues everywhere... Breasts of a front view figure aren't circles with the nipple in the middle...
    Get some reference. It's not hard to do in front of the mirror either.

Thanks
    Well here was my original reference http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-pho...php?st=19c8a99
    I should look at more just for the general anatomy problems
    I wasn't really going to leave her chest like that either, I was just sketching out where to place it but I guess it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and fix them now.

Thanks
    Working on making her thinner and changing the position of her head so she's looking down more
    I feel like the placement of her hips is very strange now, and I need to work on getting her face more symmetrical

sorry for this low quality picture, my camera isn't working so I used my phone

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    You seem to be guessing a lot. Don't do that; you won't learn anything new from what's already in your head.

Get a good reference for hips. Hips aren't perfectly curved like that, especially not on a very skinny girl. Her arms connect in an extremely strange way and they're shapeless. You need to look up pictures for the shape of the collar bones and neck. Look up charts on leg musculature and/or look up pictures of really thin legs.

The concept, although slightly overdone, is nice, but it will need a lot of work yet to be good.

Thanks
    (concentrate on the actual woman)
    Name:  005sdf.jpg
Views: 6753
Size:  159.0 KB

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks, I'll look for some more references
    I was looking at this girl's hips/legs http://fashionlawyerblog.com/wp-cont...inny_model.jpg
    and this girl's collar bones/neck http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum...oking-down.jpg
    I guess I need to look for pictures where I can see the bone structure more clearly

Thanks
    You don't follow your reference picture, for example, the roundness of the arms are visible even behing the clothes there and you drew them very square.
    Under the elbow level the hip already starts to widen, you put the waist too low, the torso seems to be a bit too long.

The head, my favourite human part (breasts are the second so I'm pretty sensitive when I see them messed up)... is far from being realistic. Oversized eyes, extremely pointy chin and so on... You should use a reference for that as well. I imagine you plan to do it but I couldn't say nothing about that part.

Your drawing definitely improved but it's still a long way to go. But your attitude is promising, you listen to us and put effort into making a better version. Keep up with it

Hm, I like your refs... You still didn't follow them well enough but you need practice to draw what you see.
    The collar bone has a nice curvy shape, maybe looking at other refs will help to see it. Look at the hip more carefully as well.

Last edited by shiNIN; April 9th, 2011 at 03:04 PM.

Thanks
    I think I've fixed her collar bone now.
    Still working on getting the hips right.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Holy cow, what is going on with that lady's mons veneris? Anete, the lady in the photo. Either she has a thin pubic mohawk or labia like the jaws of life.

Sorry, sorry. Kids these days, shaving their parts and putting things on their stuff.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    Sorry, sorry. Kids these days, shaving their parts and putting things on their stuff.
    I'm personally more disturbed by the fact that people voluntarily get themselves a French manicure. Ungodly.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Erm... I couldn't resist. It's very sloppy and I'm unskilled anyway but here's an overpaint, I neglected the arms and drew some bones:
    Name:  minamongoose_overpaint.jpg
Views: 2777
Size:  28.9 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    I'm personally more disturbed by the fact that people voluntarily get themselves a French manicure. Ungodly.
    I don't really understand it either but tastes and fashions seemingly has not much limits.

But she seems to have some healthy feet (as far as I can tell) and she's actually standing on her soles... I'm a bit tired of girls in high heels or its imitation when they are completely naked. I don't care about the aesthetics, a pretty lady is pretty without such unhealhty leg lenghtening tricks

(And I find Loomis's female drawing unsighty. His women in normal drawings are okay but that ideal female proportions drawing always creeps me out.)

Thanks
    The paintover is very helpful
    Is this looking any better...maybe?

Thanks
    It would be more helpful if you didn't just try to copy the redline, but actually did couple female anatomy studies, because right now, your understanding doesn't seem to cut it.

The ribcage sketch in your drawing is way, way too short (it should end where the line "one head" reads in the ref photo I posted) as it was in the redline (which poster mentioned, was pretty sloppy). And she doesn't have any innards, it seems. Unless you'll draw her to have a corset. (Same goes for the crotch, you drew from the model that had undies, so you probably ought to draw your woman to have undies too.) The waist/hip area still looks like it has been stretched, though not as badly as before.

Comic!
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    I was going to put clothes on her at some point. I wanted to get this right first because I figured there would be no point in moving forward with the anatomy way off like this

Thanks
    Using some skeleton references and trying to draw her one, I'm hoping I can fix anatomy issues with this approach, I should probably look up some muscle stuff while I'm at it...

Thanks
    It's improving, just be sure to draw lightly at first and right now her crotch looks a tad too wide to me. And her pelvis seems a bit small to me also.

Thanks
    LOOK at a hip. A real woman's or the one in my drawing, whatever, but look and see and draw what you see. You still draw that part very wrong - though you broke the very smooth curve and that's a good thing.

My sloppy overpaint again. I had to draw some ribs after looking at yours. I know drawing humans is hard but if you look at a skeleton, you have to see ribs are very, very different from what you drew. Look at your references more, look, see, compare. This part seems to be one of your weakness. Line quality will improve if you practice, you can use references all the time, you will learn tricks and tips during your jurney, your attitude seem to be okay - but drawing what you actually see is a vital part.
    Name:  minamongoose_overpaint2.jpg
Views: 2653
Size:  47.4 KB

Thanks
    trying to fix the ribs now ._. I'm sorry I posted that awful scribbling of them earlier

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    You still seem to be trying to fit the ribs to your outline, rather than the other way around. Stop working on this for a bit, and go do a couple of straight ribcage studies, see how it actually works. If you don't have any books on anatomy for the artist, this is probably a good opportunity to seek one out.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    wow great improvement and dedication!

my only input is to rethink your guidelines.
    youre still placing straight lines across a curved
    surface. get an idea how this volume is shaped
    and place your lines on it mentally. the learning
    turnout is much higher and the picture is less
    rigid. kind of a win-win .

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

29. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    After studying some ribs (just drawing from skeleton references, unfortunately I don't have any books) I came up with this
    my only concern is that I may be kind of crushing her ribs together, I am not really sure if I made them wide enough

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Definitely better than before, although her breasts are now quite high. You could probably expand the ribs a little more, but it's not really necessary for your purposes.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    I think I may start on her face now... or her clothes. I'm just afraid that I'm going to mess up what I worked so hard to fix

Thanks
    working on her face now I just noticed her eyebrows are uneven so I'm going to fix that now

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Hmm.. Perhaps this'll help a little?

Remember to study what you're seeing. Truly observe, not just look.

Thanks
    As the photo shows, the mouth isn't like in front view. And those lines on her cheek don't make much sense, the bones are in an angle they totally can't form like this. That hollowness is very hard to convey with lines, not having edges there...
    What's her body type? He is practically starved, not just being slim wearing a corset too tightly? A normal girl doesn't have a face that would need such drastic lines on her cheeks, not even if she's just skinny.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 16