Sketchbook: Vay's sketchbook - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Vay's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Liking the studies, very clean and poppin fresh.

Sketchbook: There and Back again Updated- 7/04/12
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MatthewHD For This Useful Post:

Vay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    88. O. Photo reference ink hatching practice before I sleep. 5/28/2011

Attached Images Attached Images  
    My Sketchbook

Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    89. O. Photo reference ink hatching. 5/28/2011

My Sketchbook

For by spectroscopic ken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    90. O. I drew this for homework. I didn't use rulers. 6/8/2011

My Sketchbook

For by spectroscopic ken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    91. I. Imaginary portrait I drew in class. My teacher was teaching how to draw the portrait, she put diagrams on the board to copy. I decided to detail the diagram. 5/31/2011.

92. I. Character design. 6/10/2011

93. I. I woke up one day half asleep, an image of a girl in unusual outfit flashed across my mind. I wanted to draw her, and I did. 6/10/2011

I also draw other things from my dreams, I might consider putting them up.

Last edited by Vay; June 13th, 2011 at 02:10 AM.
    My Sketchbook

For by spectroscopic ken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    94. I. Eraser drawing self portrait (not my first self portrait, I have drawn about four before this). Choked on "char-kole" dust and fixative spray. The white thing on my head is a hair-band from my sister to keep my hair up. 6/14/2011

Last edited by Vay; June 14th, 2011 at 11:00 PM.
    My Sketchbook

For by spectroscopic ken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My homework:

95. I. Setting up the scene with perspective taken from a photograph. 6/16/2011

96. I. Using the perspective, I made an imaginary scenery in an apocalyptic setting. I will polish this in Photoshop when I get a Wacom tablet and Photoshop. 6/16/2011

My Sketchbook

For by spectroscopic ken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I see some improvement, I really dig your self portrait and the last environment piece.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarmati For This Useful Post:

Vay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Sarmati: I haven't done too many environments in the past, I am glad you like it. I have a fantasy themed environment in my sketch. It is in curvilinear perspective, and I will upload that one sometime this week. And for my eraser-drawn self portrait, it felt like a photoshop brush. The way my kneaded and plastic eraser makes those big line marks which can still be seen a little.

Transformer studies:

97. O. Referenced Camaro. Learning the contour of a car (this is like my 3rd car drawing ever). 6/17/2011

98. O. Drawing the first step of transformation from Camaro to Bumblebee. I spent a lot of time on researching the different views of a Camaro. 6/17/2011.

Last edited by Vay; June 17th, 2011 at 04:04 AM.
    My Sketchbook

For by spectroscopic ken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    99. I. Trying to get the hang of curvilinear perspective. I did not do ay preliminary sketches or set up a curvilinear grid. I just went right in. I spent less time on this than the sci-fi version at #96. 6/17/2011

Also, my book bag got wet along with the original #96, my portfolio bag, and the bottom bit of my moleskine sketch book. Luckily I scanned it already.

Last edited by Vay; June 17th, 2011 at 11:13 PM.
    My Sketchbook

For by spectroscopic ken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    100. O. Next step in Mechtech BumbleBee transformation. 6/18/2011
    101. I. Preliminary sketch to my own transformer design. 6/18/2011
    102. I. My own transformer design: Saber Soul, morphs into F-22 Raptor. It is inspired by the F-22 Raptor fighter jet. 6/18/2011

I am also practicing new writing style and signature, if you haven't noticed yet.

My Sketchbook

For by spectroscopic ken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that city perspective on #68.. nice one!! tho it could benefit a lot if you made the building taller mantaining the rest as it is that should give some cool sense of height

15. The Following User Says Thank You to f1x For This Useful Post:

Vay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow I really like those pen drawings! The hatching is really nice in them. I think you should push the values just a little bit more in your pencil drawings though and it'll make them pop.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Phloof For This Useful Post:

Vay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @F1x: Yea, I might do that when I get a wacom tablet and photoshop. Paint it over in digital. I am still trying to get a good watercolor piece up, but I am missing black and white, so it would be sometime this weekend, probably.

@Phloof: Yea, my teacher always told me I draw too lightly. At first I thought it could be a style, but things don't pop as much. I am actually having trouble pushing the contrast, as I don't know where is actually darker.

Drawing got a lot harder for me now that I have to spend hours on research, and not just drawing, in order to find a picture that has the appropriate lightings. For gesture reference, I resort to taking pictures of myself in an approximate pose, which I did for drawing #105.

104. I. Master studies. I suck at drawing folds from imagination, so I tried to see how they work from someone else's drawing. 6/21/2011
    105. I. Ezreal the Eviscerator (made up epithet). Ezreal is a character from the game League of Legends. I quit the game long ago, but my friend wanted to play with me, so I downloaded and played it again, and decided to draw my own version of Ezreal afterwards. 6/21/2011

P.S. I will be painting #105, after I redraw it on a clean paper.

Last edited by Vay; June 23rd, 2011 at 03:50 AM.
    My Sketchbook

For by spectroscopic ken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gettin' good! Keep it going. I especially like the flow in the last character piece.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to {CKL} For This Useful Post:

Vay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @CKLamb: Thanks, I did a gesture sketch on a pocket sketchbook first for that piece.

My figure drawing class at my CUNY school ended in one month, wasn't expecting such a short class. I am still attending Elwell's continuing education summer class at SVA on mondays. Next summer or semester, I will sign up for a watercolor painting class at SVA.

Here are some drawings I did in class. Most of them are sketches on newsprint since it is a figure drawing class. We had a lot of breaks, so we couldn't finish the drawings.

106. O. Harry the class model. White conte on dark gray canson mi teintes. 6/22/2011
    107. O. Bill the class model. White conte on dark gray canson mi teintes. 6//23/2011
    108. O. Harry the class model. Eraser drawing on white paper smudged over with synthetic charcoal. Bottom lighting (the nose is a bit off). 6/16/2011

P.S. I suck so much at painting. At least in watercolor. Maybe it is because I am impatient and that I can usually do a better drawing in the amount of time spent painting. I am very impatient about the whole drying process too. I would use my air conditioner to try to quicken the process. In painting, I have very little control over paint, as well as that now I have to worry about color accuracy.

Last edited by Vay; June 27th, 2011 at 05:28 AM.
    My Sketchbook

For by spectroscopic ken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    watercolor, to me at least, its one of the most difficult techniques out there, at first it looks like it should be easy as much as its water based and so, but to do it "by the book" its certainly very very hard, takes years to say the least,
    so be patient indeed, and remember you dont have to do it like the manual says, you can actually find your way even if the result its not totally academic

=)
    this last face study... his face...its creepy yet its really nicely done, I dont have much problems with the nose, probably because I havent seen his face IRL it does look more or less natural, I have more problems with the mouth and the eyes but still nothing very important

23. The Following User Says Thank You to f1x For This Useful Post:

Vay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @f1x: Painting is totally a new medium, way different from charcoal or pencil. So it is going to take a long time... On the other had, I bet I can paint faster digitally. Do you still paint in watercolor?

109. O. Yay, my first plein air. Here is a watercolor sketch of trees. I didn't spend a long time on it, because I began to smell feces and some other bad smell at the place where I sat, which is in front of a public bathroom. The public bathroom's alleyway, bordered by park fence, is also where little kids do their business. I also had trouble getting the right color for the sunlit portions. They always came out muddy, and never too bright. I am thinking of going back to refine the painting.

I originally planned to paint buildings, but smoking loiterers were smoking where I am supposed to sit, and I don't like smoke, so I moved behind a park's restroom area. Can't beat dried urine and feces.

I am also practicing my penmanship. I am beginning to write in script-like manner, instead of choppy conventional and conformed manner taught in elementary school nowadays.

Last edited by Vay; June 30th, 2011 at 03:53 PM.
    My Sketchbook

For by spectroscopic ken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    110. Portrait I painted in class. It was the last day of my figure drawing class (on 6/23/2011), and my professor told me I could use any medium. I didn't have a lot of time to paint after I mixed the paint and readied the supplies. I also had problem mixing the right colors. Time was running out, so I decided to paint in monochrome. 6/23/2011

111. My second plein air. This time I had more time to paint. The trickiest part is to mix the green colors intense enough to represent the leaves being lit by sunlight. Every time I mixed, the paint comes out dull. I was looking for a very bright yellow-green, but I couldn't mix it. I tried combinations of cadmium yellow, cobalt blue, cerulean blue, and naples yellow. All came out dull and none came close to the bright green. So I just used the dull colors, which didn't have the same effect as the real scenery. 6/30/2011

P.S. I received my "the watercolor artist's guide to exceptional color", I read that to achieve a bright color, I need aureolin yellow or lemon yellow. So I will buy those paints tomorrow. I recommend this book, which was recommended to me by a mod, to anyone learning watercolor. So you don't make the same mistakes I did. The sunlit leaves I painted looked more like autumn season, yellowed leaves, rather than sunlit leaves.

I will also begin to read the novel "A Song of Fire and Ice" (when I get it). Mainly for inspiration, which is a source of inspiration Feng Zhu recommends because the scenes and characters are made up by you, and to see how fantasy novels are written because I also wish to publish a novel when I get older. If you had been in the earlier pages of this thread, you will find out that I am already recording ideas for my future novels.

While sketching in ink, I learned some things about nature in NYC parks. Pigeons, sparrows, robins, can bend their necks backward to scratch with their beaks. I sketched them in my pocket sketchbook and took notes as I observed further behaviors. I found a peculiar pigeon of European breed, who likes to peck at innocent twigs. It flings it around in its mouth like a crazed maniac. Later, the same pigeon tried to ram another pigeon with his head, but they were all feigned attempts, it never hit. All this happened after this peculiar pigeon was rejected from a mating proposal, when it danced in circles, with feathers fluffed up, trying to impress its mate. I fed sparrows, and random birds fluttered out of nowhere about me in a matter of seconds. Then a squirrel, who detected the feeding frenzy of the birds, came to the site to investigate for food. I had fed them corn chips.

While I was doing the plein-air painting, tiny bugs and flies crawled over me. I was also bitten by a mosquito.

Last edited by Vay; July 1st, 2011 at 08:51 AM.
    My Sketchbook

For by spectroscopic ken

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm liking the figurative work you're doing; your self portrait is pretty good.

Did you tone the entire sheet like that? Geez... you're going to give yourself lung failure with all the dust.

Anywho... keep it going. Your skills are growing and they're great right now.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

27. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Vay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    112. I. A sketch I did on newsprint for Teen challenge. 7/6/2011

Here is the backstory:

The location was once a small isolated city, but became known as "the bog" ever since the failed nuclear containment that tried to clear an alien threat; the land has now become inhospitable. Since after the nuclear containment has failed, the virus has mutated into a stronger variant. The bog began to spread across the nation. A new strategy was in order for the extermination; a new bio-counter special tactics units group are established to sabotage the virus strain with a genetically engineered one made by a famous scientist, whom has since passed on. This new virus strain will compete by evolution at a microbial level, spreading as fast as the mutated strain by using the mutant as a host. Hopefully the genetically engineered strain will destroy its mutant cousin. Then a new containment procedure will be installed for the genetically engineered virus. Assuming the special forces succeed in the sabotage, there is no guarantee that the genetically engineered variant will succeed in a battle of evolution, and all the while there are still real time conflicts caused by the mutations, that for the sake of humanity, cannot be left alone to manifest.

The thumbnail on the lower left are silhouettes of special forces carrying the specimen. The circle and the squiggly lines and dots on the left are the viruses under electron microscope. The virus is known to infect any organism, except for certain plants. I might also add a mutated human somewhere.

113. I. WIP Plein air painting of the facade of a school, done in watercolor and gouache. 7/7/2011

Still awaiting my good and moderately expensive brushes. I am also looking for a figure painting continuing education class or the sorts that don't cost too much money...

Last edited by Vay; July 7th, 2011 at 09:53 PM.
    My Sketchbook

For by spectroscopic ken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you have some good stuff in here. Some things are better than others in terms of anatomy, but overall, you're doing a solid job. I really like the dummy drawing with the cubes.

My Sketchbook: Criticisms and Feedback needed

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu

30. The Following User Says Thank You to bish0p2004 For This Useful Post:

Vay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    114. The only reference I used for this drawing is a toy car, even so I only looked at the toy car about 5 times for how specular light works (wasn't that helpful- if only I owned a more geometric glossy or specular object that I can fiddle around with in my hand). Speculum (I thought it was "specularity", but thankfully I checked dictionary.com, thats English for you) is my weakness. 7/9/2011

Holy cheese! I just realized I have uploaded 114 drawings!

My Sketchbook

For by spectroscopic ken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    115. I. Speculum study. Edited version of drawing #114. 7/12/2011
    116. I. Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder. Where are you looking? Her eyes are up there. Too big to be scanned, and all I have is a crappy digital camera. 7/13/2011

My Sketchbook

For by spectroscopic ken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    117. O. This is in watercolor. There is some warping of the paper, so the image is a bit distorted. This was a referenced off a featured youtube video. The girl looks like my doctor, so I painted her for fun. 7/15/2011

Last edited by Vay; July 16th, 2011 at 03:04 AM.
    My Sketchbook

For by spectroscopic ken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely sketchbook. Re: watercolours, trees are a nightmare, don't feel alone in your woe. But your building in watercolour is fantastic. You've built up the layers of colour well. Maybe apply the same with the natural forms? Your tree feels a lot more like you applied the finished colour and didn't build it up as much.

Keep it up.

Sketchbook | Art Blog | Portfolio

True progress means matching the world to the vision in our heads.
    But we always change the vision instead.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to HAJiME For This Useful Post:

Vay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pure Beauty man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    118. O. This is a picture of my drawing desk (I put an old eye glass case to halt the fold-able table, thus making it slanted to draw on). At least it used to be my drawing desk until I ran out of room to put things, that is why I am desperate for myself or my sisters to move out, so can get a bigger room, which my sister has. The left is my computer desk also filled with stuff and a huge "portable" air conditioner (you can see the ventilation tube), and the right is my bed and a small cabinet.

Currently learning to paint in oil color. I'll try to post some good stuff when I get good enough.

Last edited by Vay; August 20th, 2011 at 07:58 PM.
    My Sketchbook

For by spectroscopic ken

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Vay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    119. O. Work-in-progress live sized portrait in oil. Might start a new one because I did this on student grade canvas. I was supposed to do it on a real canvas. 9/24/2011

This is my second oil portrait. The first one I couldn't work on because someone took my painting seat, so I started the new one below. I also didn't follow the painting procedure from my painting instructor. I was suppose to paint it in monotone first for my class and then move on to color, but I decided to start off with color right away. Next time I will have to do it in monotone first.

I will upload a series of my concept designs with text, next.

Last edited by Vay; September 24th, 2011 at 06:19 PM.
    My Sketchbook

For by spectroscopic ken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    120. I/O. Some of the hands are from imagination and some from observation. 9/13/2011
    121. I. I was bored, so I drew animals and other stuff from my imagination, which I have never drawn before. It turned out okay because I had some mental reference of the animals. 9/16/2011

My Sketchbook

For by spectroscopic ken

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 10