Demon Queen WIP (still in very early stages so far)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Demon Queen WIP (still in very early stages so far)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Demon Queen WIP (still in very early stages so far)

So I am working on this photoshop painting obviously it is in its early stages I have spent only 3 and a half hours on it so far there are a lot of things that I havent started on yet but plan on later. My main question is what are the anatomy problems on the Female character. I know that the legs arms etc havent been rendered yet but can you guys tell me what mistakes I have made before I start rendering I dont wanna screw up the picture with anatomy problems I have started reading Loomis but I obviously havent mastered drawing the human figure. Perhaps someone can do a quick paint over to let me know what problems are here

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it doesn´t look like a demon queen, more than a female warrior with wings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know havent came up with the appropriate name for this drawing I just thought I would call it demon queen because I was planning on drawing her minions as demons. But back to the topic of this thread can you tell me what the anatomy problems are on the female character before I start the rendering process? And thanks for the quick reply but please dont kick my ass on all the mistakes I have made so far

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonMick View Post
    please dont kick my ass on all the mistakes I have made so far
    Hi DemonMick

Nobody will want to kick your ass over mistakes. We are all learning.

But we will point out what we believe to be mistakes so that you can fix them and improve.

You say this piece is in the early stages, but I think you started rendering the details a bit too soon.

The girls proportions and anatomy are indeed not in harmony as you mentioned in your post. The most glaring being her small head. Imagine her head without the helmet and hair and compare it to the rest of her body.

Unfortunately, the size of the head is not the only problem area, the body itself needs to be reworked. Might I suggest getting a reference? I really think doing more anatomy studies will help you more than anything else at this stage.

Last edited by Star Eater; April 8th, 2011 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're doing ok. I would suggest in the future to plan it all out first in a smaller image that includes the anatomy and color because fixing your errors on the actual work can waste a lot of time and may lead to a lot of frustration. Essentially, it's easier to make changes when there is nothing at stake.

Shifting something that might seem so minor as the arms and legs will make the entire body shift. So you're looking at some major fixes that will set you back a few hours. And first and foremost you're going to need reference.

keep in mind that when there is weight lifted off her right hip the left will go down. And her left foot is taking all the weight and balancing her, so you always want to have the point with all the weight lined up with her head.

I tried to fix the pose without reference so it's not perfect.

Name:  fex-1.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  103.1 KB

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills..." - J.F.K.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    Hi DemonMick

Nobody will want to kick your ass over mistakes. We are all learning.

But we will point out what we believe to be mistakes so that you can fix them and improve.

You say this piece is in the early stages, but I think you started rendering the details a bit too soon.

The girls proportions and anatomy are not in harmony. The most glaring being her small head. Imagine her head without the helmet and hair and compare it to the rest of her body.

Unfortunately, the size of the head is not the only problem area, the body itself needs to be reworked. Might I suggest getting a reference?
    Thanks for the advice The one of the problems I encounter a lot is coming up with an origional pose that dosent look like its a pose copied from someone elses work. Sorry if this sounds like cheating but can someone do a quick paint over to give me an example of the sort or pose I should use? Apart from that I guess its back to the loomis books for me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Quelquefois View Post
    You're doing ok. I would suggest in the future to plan it all out first in a smaller image that includes the anatomy and color because fixing your errors on the actual work can waste a lot of time and may lead to a lot of frustration. Essentially, it's easier to make changes when there is nothing at stake.

Shifting something that might seem so minor as the arms and legs will make the entire body shift. So you're looking at some major fixes that will set you back a few hours. And first and foremost you're going to need reference.

keep in mind that when there is weight lifted off her right hip the left will go down. And her left foot is taking all the weight and balancing her, so you always want to have the point with all the weight lined up with her head.

I tried to fix the pose without reference so it's not perfect.

Name:  fex-1.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  103.1 KB
    Thanks thats just the answer I was looking for and can I ask would you mind if I used that pose in the drawing its self?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well for one thing, make sure the shoulders and hips aren't perfectly aligned and horizontal like this. It looks extremely unnatural and stiff. Her head also seems rather small and the composition is quite weak; she's right in the middle drawing all of the attention to her.

Have you tried doing thumbnails to figure out a working pose and composition?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well the main problem is that I dont know what type of pose works and Im not so good with composition either I can seem to figure out how to keep everything orgional can anyone tell me where I can find out more about composition are there any books on the subject?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonMick View Post
    Thanks thats just the answer I was looking for and can I ask would you mind if I used that pose in the drawing its self?
    Sure but I suggest you have someone stand in that same pose (it can be a man or woman) just to be accurate. There is only one thing worse than drawing without reference and that's drawing from a drawing with no reference lol.

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills..." - J.F.K.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    On a side note - stop concentrating on details when you paint.
    Try to block everything in, getting your forms and lighting right.
    Once you've got those right you can bring out the details as long as it follows the same lighting conditions (lost edges etc)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.