Art: Fun witH my nu Pastels
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fun witH my nu Pastels

These are really too loose + oddly cropped that anything short of being acknowledged is too much to ask.

However, if you really feel the need to crit then by all means do so. Same goes the opposite [praise.] But in that case, please, if you leave one, leave a bit of the other, too. Just to balance things out and all that. Karma.

Anyway, after a lifetime of pencil doodles and some charcol stuffs I took a swing [a swing was taken for me by the proff] at colour with pastels. and here're some of the better things to come out of it.

clearly a ref from life drawing

above:ref

above: ref

Again, shit of a crop job, but rest assured these are the better of that mass of 'stuff.' And yeah, I'm well aware that black is a no no for shadows ... but yeah ... stubborn or something.

Cheers!

edit: forgot this one:

Last edited by Ottar; April 17th, 2004 at 07:59 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the pics from refs are nice, the others look like you're familiarity with charcoal and pencil forced you to drop pastel on top of old drawings. try working on toned paper with only 2 or 3 colours, no black though ;-)

keep working

N

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm still quite new working with color, so perhaps someone with more experience can comment. That said, I don't really understand why you chose the colors you did. It seems, to me, that you kind of arbitrarily selected colors and slapped them on the drawing at full intensity.

My figure drawing teacher is limiting us to two colors right now, since most of my class doesn't have much experience with color yet. The reason is that color is much much much more complex than working with black and white.

Not only do you have to worry about communicating the color of the object, but you also have to remember that every color has a value, so you need to select colors that appropriately describe the forms. AND, each color 'communicates' with all the other colors, so there's the whole issue of balance and tension. You can't have all your colors fighting with each other, unless you want your viewers to get tired of looking at your work.

In most of your drawings, you have a very intense blue in areas that I assume you either want to appear further back in space, or you want the areas to be in shadow. However, despite blue being a "cool" color, the particular blue you chose seems to be actually popping forward off the page. If that's the effect you want, then that's cool, but otherwise you need to be aware that certain colors will come forward while others will appear further back. And you need to be completely aware of how to manipulate this quality, in order to give the illusion of space.

Just some thoughts. Sorry if it doesn't make any sense; and perhaps someone with more experience can either elaborate on or correct what I've said.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No man, that's exactly what I need. You pretty much hit my sore spots including the severe neglegence concerning that blue (someone said to try it as an alternative.)

But yeah, if someone has even more good stuff to impart, then by all means...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.