Art: First try and some questions...
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: First try and some questions...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

First try and some questions...

I've been stalking the Sculpture forum and going mad with envy (the good kind... ) looking at the stuff you guys make, so I decided to get some sculpey and try it myself. It turns out, it's quite fun.

But I have a question. What kind of steps you guys follow while putting the clothes on etc? I thought of baking, and then adding texture and clothes. But would a thin layer of sculpey stick to the baked parts well?

Oh, not much but here is how it looks like so far. Sorry about the image quality by the way.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Bongsplat is offline Does what it say's on the tin! Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have always just got a brush and a tub of vaseline, and lightly brushed the cooked sculpey, you will have no problems with it not sticking then!

Good start by the way!

Earhole Bongsplat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks.

I've been working on the front area, and so far I kind of like it. But the ab muscles became more defined than I would like. What kind of tools would you use to smooth it out? I'd rather it looked more like >>> this

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you should check proportions, becouse now arms are too slim, also breasts looks a bit too small if comparing with stomach muscles

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are the latest pictures. (Sorry for the average pic quality...)

I've smoothed the abdominal muscles a bit, put on some clothes. The helmet isn't exactly right, but I kinda like it. To be honest, the wings part of the helmet was a litte out of my talents, so I had to bastardize it.

Next, I'll be working on the hands and the hammer, and then there are a few things I think I should correct. As already mentioned, the right arm is still a bit thin. (And probably more than a few other things I can't see. )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good, but the right arm really needs some length and both could use more bulk. Then size up the hands accordingly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The arms look a bit short/thin compared to the bulk of the body, but you're off to a good start. Be warned though...once you get into this sculpting thing, IT WILL TAKE OVER YOUR SOUL.

Critters! Dinosaurs! Lovecraftian horrors! ~~~~~> My creature sculpting thread!
    The Savage Goldfish Blog

"I started to see human beings as little lonesome, water-based pink meat, life forms pushing air through themselves and making noises that the other little pieces of meat seemed to understand."
    -Devin Townsend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The arms look a bit short/thin compared to the bulk of the body, but you're off to a good start. Be warned though...once you get into this sculpting thing, IT WILL TAKE OVER YOUR SOUL.

Critters! Dinosaurs! Lovecraftian horrors! ~~~~~> My creature sculpting thread!
    The Savage Goldfish Blog

"I started to see human beings as little lonesome, water-based pink meat, life forms pushing air through themselves and making noises that the other little pieces of meat seemed to understand."
    -Devin Townsend

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SavageGoldfish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if it's gotten that far yet, but at the least I seem to develop an unhealthy obsession.

Thanks for the advices. I don't have any recent pictures at the moment, but I did some work on the right arm, and trimmed the lats on the left side. The trimming seemed to help a bit with the proportion problem.

I'm kind of not happy with the detail. Next I'm planning to get some Sculpey Firm and work on the details a little, but I think most of the problem lies in me and perhaps the tools I use. I might have taken "making your own tools" to a record low. They are made of scavenged pens (the tube parts), paper-clips and fasteners, old guitar strings and a knitting needle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cezve View Post
    I don't know if it's gotten that far yet, but at the least I seem to develop an unhealthy obsession.

Thanks for the advices. I don't have any recent pictures at the moment, but I did some work on the right arm, and trimmed the lats on the left side. The trimming seemed to help a bit with the proportion problem.

I'm kind of not happy with the detail. Next I'm planning to get some Sculpey Firm and work on the details a little, but I think most of the problem lies in me and perhaps the tools I use. I might have taken "making your own tools" to a record low. They are made of scavenged pens (the tube parts), paper-clips and fasteners, old guitar strings and a knitting needle.

yeah trimming the lats, (rib area) would do it! It might make it look like his shirt is too big, but that would be the easiest fix. As for tools, go to your dentist and ask if he has any broken tools. Take a sculpt with you to prove you're not a home dental nut, and he might ablige you. Mine did. I now have a lot of weird tools!

Oh and as for clothes, get a pasta machine roller thingy. it makes THIN sheets, that drape beautifully!

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I mostly use my fingers for bulk smoothing, but for fine details, tools are invalueable....nothing wrong with pen parts and paper clips and stuff like that,
    I use anything that will work.

Mah ' Crub

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.