Sketchbook: A beginner's sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: A beginner's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A beginner's sketchbook

Well.. hello. I joined conceptart.org to try and improve on what skills I have. I think it's very safe to say I'm a beginner. I've been "drawing" for about one year, but to be honest I've been on the wrong path. Of course, like all misguided.. people, I started on deviantart, imitating extremely stylized animals but not really practicing actually anatomy. I've finally snapped to it. I want to learn both human and animal anatomy, am willing to learn about light, technique, etc. I'm mostly a digital artist because I'm still in middle school and my parents aren't very "supportive" of my art. I don't have any traditional art supplies, other than A4 paper and pencils. I got a tablet only after much bothering.

To be honest I'm a little intimidated by conceptart.org, because there are mostly people that are college students/serious artists, and it feels like I don't have a place here. However, I've heard it's a good place to improve and that's exactly what I want to do. So, uh.. I hope I can improve!

---

No humans as of now, a couple sketches of wolves referenced from photos. They're a bit messy, sorry..

Oh and two of my "best pieces" which need improvement, especially on the anatomy I think.

And by the way, I am also looking for some good sources to learn about humans.. preferably not by book, because I probably wouldn't be able to get it..

Also.. since I am a complete idiot I have no idea where/how to start practicing.. should I do still life first? :/ Or shading, or whatever.. *gets out sketchbook*

I also wrote copyright for "Cirque de Lune" instead of my real name because I'm not comfortable with the idea of my paranoid parents googling my name and finding this.. ^^;

...for some reason only one of the pictures shows, I have no idea what's wrong -___- Well.. bye, I guess, I need to go to sleep.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA; Where the community is great and the wine tasting corner is just to you're left.
    No I lied about the wine but the community is great!,

It;s definitely a good place to seek advice and improve;
    a lot and I mean a lot of useful threads.

Well a serious artist is a dedicated artist, and you have just taken that extra next step to learn and improve, so don't feel intimidated in anyway, we all started somewhere.

Neat sketches too; The anatomy will truly help any artist, getting the fundamentals is key and knowing this, we can express emotions in our piece with a voice that speaks to the viewer; but be warned, once you start learning more and more about anatomy; you'll be in awe of how intricate the body is, how theres balance and chaos rolled into the one subject , wither it be human / animal / plant and your eyes will adjust to see the tiny gestures in people movements, the weights of their clothes, just subtle things ... okay i'm rambling and can talk about it for days but yeah, its such a good topic! anyway hope you enjoy it here and good luck on your journey.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by progressordecay View Post
    Welcome to CA; Where the community is great and the wine tasting corner is just to you're left.
    No I lied about the wine but the community is great!,

It;s definitely a good place to seek advice and improve;
    a lot and I mean a lot of useful threads.

Well a serious artist is a dedicated artist, and you have just taken that extra next step to learn and improve, so don't feel intimidated in anyway, we all started somewhere.

Neat sketches too; The anatomy will truly help any artist, getting the fundamentals is key and knowing this, we can express emotions in our piece with a voice that speaks to the viewer; but be warned, once you start learning more and more about anatomy; you'll be in awe of how intricate the body is, how theres balance and chaos rolled into the one subject , wither it be human / animal / plant and your eyes will adjust to see the tiny gestures in people movements, the weights of their clothes, just subtle things ... okay i'm rambling and can talk about it for days but yeah, its such a good topic! anyway hope you enjoy it here and good luck on your journey.
    Thank you for the welcome And I'm so glad to hear that the community is so nice.

So, do you think I should start with sketching basic figures..? And rambling's no problem, I do it all the time and my friend does it all the time too, so.. ^^

Thank you again for the warm welcome and luck..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No worries;

umm well, for me, how I started was setting up mini goals/ milestones to achieve, as the anatomy is pretty broad and complex, depending how deep you want to delve into it.

I basically wrote down what I needed to improve on ( which was everything!) but mainly narrowing it down to just the human body; and from that I attempted to do gesture like drawings ( loose and quick ), but it was rather difficult to say the least, as I didn't really know the general proportions, which meant I couldn't distort it in various perspective correctly.

So I broke down my goals yet again, this time focusing on one section of the body; which was the "human head / cranium", this was less stressful as, I could just focus on one thing with less distractions.
    I wont go into detail / life story but heres a rough timeline;

Fast forward timeline
    human skull> human head with skin no features>eyes>mouth> .... > Chest > Male > Female > arms > ... and so on

So yeah, breaking it down into parts, you want to improve helped in my case, and then you can reapply what you studied into your a Work in progress illustrations / sketchbook; So it's sort of like visual play-doh or an imaginary library for body parts! or Lego!.

Also have fun! don't get burn't out in the process, frustration is riddled around these parts; so take remember to take breaks, from a long session of studying and come back hours/days/weeks later with a new set of mind and a fresh pair of eyes.

Well thats it; just a small aspect of how I started, not sure if its the the answer you're looking for;
    But I never went to a arts school so it's mostly self-taught from books and internet with a dash of dedication. so find a method thats comfortable to you and keep on drawing.

[end note: check out the "TUTORIALS, TIPS & TRICKS" section; its super cool, from the bare basics to semi-complex formulas which have mind blowing results]

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.