Loomis Books

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Loomis Books

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Loomis Books

I just downloaded these PDFs because I couldn't find the actual books anywhere, wondering which order I should read them in and which are the most useful to a beginner who is trying to learn to draw, or should I wait until I'm a little better?

- Creative Illustration
    - Figure Drawing For All It's Worth
    - Fun With A Pencil
    - Eye Of The Painter (I don't plan on painting until my drawings are better)
    - Successful Drawing

My Sketch Book: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post3085866

Please comment+critique
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to SemperOne For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a bump before bed and hope for a reply in morning, please, anyone who has read these books by Loomis give me some insight before I waste my hours away that could be spent drawing (very slow reader)

Please comment+critique

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SemperOne For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SemperOne View Post
    I just downloaded these PDFs because I couldn't find the actual books anywhere, wondering which order I should read them in and which are the most useful to a beginner who is trying to learn to draw, or should I wait until I'm a little better?

- Creative Illustration
    - Figure Drawing For All It's Worth
    - Fun With A Pencil
    - Eye Of The Painter (I don't plan on painting until my drawings are better)
    - Successful Drawing
    I would say start with Successful Drawing first, then Figure drawing for all it's worth, then Eye of the painter and lastly Creative Illustration.

I think its best to complement Successful Drawing with a good and easy book on perspective, like Ernest Norling's "Perspective made easy". Reason being Loomis straight away jumps into the more advanced perspective principles which is daunting. And the perspective theories in Successful Drawing is really intense.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,414 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    In this order:

Fun With A Pencil / Successful Drawing
    Figure Drawing For All It's Worth / Drawing Head and Hands.
    Creative Illustration

Eye Of The Painter is more about art theory than technique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, you should start with - Fun With A Pencil... ut teach you important stuff about structure and form before stressing you too much with getting realistic proportions, it still covers it but later in the book, and you should transition to the other books like arenhaus said.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Andrew Loomis books are currently being reprinted.

Figure Drawing for All it's Worth is being released late next month
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/085...?tag=parblo-20

Drawing the Heads and Hands in October
    http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Head-H...d_bxgy_b_img_b

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KEM720 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just started the fun with a pencil book, and I feel like I'm stuck at the first hurdle, drawing the funny character heads, all the ones copied from the book just look wonky and out of proportion, and if I try to make my own I just get lost on which lines to erase etc.

I'm beginning to wonder if I could ever even become an artist

Please comment+critique

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just try to understand what he is trying to explain with all these examples, and do your best. You may not understand everything now, but with time and practice it will start to make more sense. Its ok to make mistake dont get discouraged. I covered at least 2 sketchbooks with only stick figures before i started to understand what it was worth.. i was frustrated because i could not draw these stick figures as well as loomis.. dont struggle too much with the accuracy of the line of the ''block-in'' or construction.. in a sense its only meant to be a guide, so dont get crazy erasing too much stuff.. draw lightly and keep copying the drawings from the book.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to VirgL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SemperOne View Post
    Just started the fun with a pencil book, and I feel like I'm stuck at the first hurdle, drawing the funny character heads, all the ones copied from the book just look wonky and out of proportion, and if I try to make my own I just get lost on which lines to erase etc.
    I wonder if you should even start on Loomis' books in the first place.
    IMO, I think it's better to just draw from life and get those basic drawing books first before starting on any of Loomis' books including Fun with a pencil.

"Fun with a pencil" may look simple and easy for beginners but its' not.

The part on the ball / plane method on drawing the head in that book requires a super solid understanding of perspective which I myself is still shaky at this moment. Those parts where he adds those smaller forms to the cartoon heads requires a good understanding of form and structure. The drawing of those cartoony clothes requires understanding of drapery.
    Cartooning and stylization is a step after realistic drawing, not the other way round.

Because he teaches mostly cartoon drawing in that book, and if you don't have a good understanding of realistic drawing from life and you jump straight into stylizing your drawings as cartoons by copying from his books, you may end up not knowing what you're doing.

Better to draw and study from life at this stage as your first priority, and if you want, play with that book in your spare time. Just my 2 cents because I encountered this same issue before. You're feeling discouraged because Loomis' books are too advanced for you and thus you end up feeling drawing isn't for you. Wrong! Try "Keys to drawing" or "Drawing with your artists' brain" (Carl Purcell).

I checked out your SB but the images don't show up, so I dunno what level you're, but you could very well be on the level of folks like Arenhaus or Jeff or DPaint or Joe Kubert, and if that's the case, I eat back all my words. LOL
    (it's always like this: people come to CA to say they can't draw and when I check out their SB, their works are professional grade LOL! Better to advise with caution)

I'm beginning to wonder if I could ever even become an artist
    I quote Sheldon: "The only way to fail is to quit".
    If you quit now, you have zero hopes of becoming an artist.

Good luck,
    Xeon

Last edited by Xeon_OND; April 5th, 2011 at 09:10 PM.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Loomis Books

Start with Fun with a Pencil. Figure drawing for all it's worth, Drawing head and hands, sucesfull drawing. Creative illustration,then Eye of the painter. In using fun with the pencil don't copy as much as use his guidelines to work from memory. another good book is perard anatomy and drawing and vanderpool's book on drawing. Just using perard and loomis I am working on being able to draw the figure in any position from memory . Look at mentlers work on this site as it is full of good information. Do hope they republish loomis' books so they will get into the hands of people that can use them without being ripped off paying collector prices for needed information.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon_OND View Post

I checked out your SB but the images don't show up, so I dunno what level you're, but you could very well be on the level of folks like Arenhaus or Jeff or DPaint or Joe Kubert, and if that's the case, I eat back all my words. LOL
    (it's always like this: people come to CA to say they can't draw and when I check out their SB, their works are professional grade LOL! Better to advise with caution)

I quote Sheldon: "The only way to fail is to quit".
    If you quit now, you have zero hopes of becoming an artist.

Good luck,
    Xeon
    Thanks a lot for the motivational quote haha, I put the book down and did a few more life drawings and im feeling uplifted again, I will wait until I'm ready for Loomis I guess, and yeah a lot of the forum is messing up for me tonight, most images aint loading, I'm definitely not above average haha, I know what you mean about amazing artists putting themselves down, here's a link to a sketch I did earlier that I'm satisfied with, keep in mind I've only been practicing for a week or so

http://i53.tinypic.com/311mkpt.jpg

Please comment+critique

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SemperOne For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Saw that drawing of the hand. Not bad considering you've only drawn for a week! If it's any consolation, I wasn't even anywhere close when I first started out.

It's best to start with simple still life objects (boxes, books etc.) and then slowly proceed to more organic-looking objects (shoes, leaf, flower) and then take it on from there.

Just make sure to study perspective as well. Seedling here has a Perspective 101 thread. Try searching for it.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did Fun with a Pencil first then Successful Drawing and I think it works best that way because you get a reminder to have fun drawing while your doing studies. Xeon is right, the perspective techniques in Successful Drawing can get daunting but they are extremely valuable to add to your skill set.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ArcZephyer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't read them page by page, use them for reference. Chances are you will be going back over and over again anyway because you forgot something. Also, Loomis doesn't use perfect English in the jotted notes, so reading it page to page might not be wise. Scroll through the PDF until you find something related to what you want to find out about and read it.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Vay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vay View Post
    Don't read them page by page, use them for reference. Chances are you will be going back over and over again anyway because you forgot something. Also, Loomis doesn't use perfect English in the jotted notes, so reading it page to page might not be wise. Scroll through the PDF until you find something related to what you want to find out about and read it.
    Have to disagree - the best thing Loomis offers is his opening and closing chats...and that's saying something because the rest of it is great too. But make sure to read what he has to say.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Have to disagree - the best thing Loomis offers is his opening and closing chats...and that's saying something because the rest of it is great too. But make sure to read what he has to say.
    LOL, I never get sick of reading his opening chats. It is so inspiring and heart-warming to read that I can almost felt he was right beside me with his arm over my shoulder.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by KEM720 View Post
    The Andrew Loomis books are currently being reprinted.

Figure Drawing for All it's Worth is being released late next month
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/085...?tag=parblo-20

Drawing the Heads and Hands in October
    http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Head-H...d_bxgy_b_img_b
    Nice! It's finally happening, can't believe it yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I already pre-ordered my figure drawing one back in March or so.

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *necro*

I just got my copy, so excited to finally have it hardback. Says on amazon it wont release until the 27th but it arrived today so *does happy dance* It's a lot bigger than I thought as well O.O

33. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikStorstein For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilrion View Post
    *necro*

I just got my copy, so excited to finally have it hardback. Says on amazon it wont release until the 27th but it arrived today so *does happy dance* It's a lot bigger than I thought as well O.O
    Can you post pics? I have a copy I made myself but I'd like to see what this official reprinting is like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So does this mean all the sites we sent beginners to so they can download the books won't be online any more (or even if they are, site rules would forbid us providing links)? Much as I like the idea of having physical copies I'm afraid it might be just that slight bit harder to help artists just starting out get to the information they need.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by megaten View Post
    Can you post pics? I have a copy I made myself but I'd like to see what this official reprinting is like.
    It looks like a real book. This is what everybody has been begging for for the past ten years, fer chrissakes. Don't be a cheapskate, buy it.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    It looks like a real book. This is what everybody has been begging for for the past ten years, fer chrissakes. Don't be a cheapskate, buy it.
    Indeed, it's a very nice print!
    Here's some pictures as requested:
    Name:  pic1.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  436.9 KB
    Name:  pic2.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  362.0 KB
    Name:  pic3.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  286.1 KB

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ErikStorstein For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilrion View Post
    Indeed, it's a very nice print!
    Here's some pictures as requested:
    Okay that looks amazing. Gonna have to get that a soon as possible.

Members who have read this thread: 1