Sketchbook: It's Always Sunny in Phrix's World...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

It's Always Sunny in Phrix's World...

Phrix's Thought-book

Howdy and welcome!

About Me: I'm an art student, currently living and studying in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (USA). I have been studying art seriously for the past 5-6 years, so I'm not a raw beginner. However, I'm nowhere near a professional level.
    I don't give out much personal information because with a short temper, an opinionated mind, and a loud mouth I tend to make many enemies. (l-lol...)
    I'm often seen stalking the ChoW forum, though I usually do not post anything image-wise. It seemed to me to be a useless task when I found that I never had time to finish anything substantial before the deadline. But if I am able, and the CHoW is still going on, I put up any image/s I have just so others can see a different idea.
    I also draw out most of the concepts and continue to work on them after the deadline has passed and I feel as though I should post them somewhere. So tah-dah! My 'sketchbook' is born.

What you will see here: Although I did say that I would be posting my ChoW dregs, I will be treating this sketchbook as I would my physical one. That means that along with images I will include my research, mood-board, thoughts, and bios about the subjects I am drawing.
    My style will most likely change. I am not married to the idea of using only digital medias in my art, so I will do what most students do: experiment and fail or experiment and get lucky.
    All of my posts here have also been placed within the appropriate CHoW forum, unless I did the CHoW after the deadline passed, or unless I was unable to submit it during the week it was in progress.
    This may be helpful to others or it may not be, but at least it will let people know just how much credibility my critiques have.
    I'll also be putting in some of the art I do outside of CHoW, because I don't do enough CHoWs to keep this sketchbook updated often enough. XD

This bio-post is subject to edit at anytime!

Last edited by Phrix; April 28th, 2011 at 07:03 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CHoW # 233: Steampunk Aphrodite

My first ChoW sketch was done when I wasn't a member. It was CHoW # 233: Steampunk Aphrodite
    I had a hard time being original with this one. I wanted her not to be the stereotypical 'goddess of love'. I liked PxelSlayer's take on the prompt: having her a hyper-perfect and non-humanoid deity. She would be someone in a position of power, authority, and respect. Not just the blond, beautiful, Victoria Secret model that many pictured her as. (This is not to say that there weren't other gorgeous, original entries! Another I found most inspiring: Mino's)

So, I made her an air ship captain. After all, gods belong in the sky, do they not?

My reference board:
    Name:  Stmpnk afro-moodboard.jpg
Views: 2386
Size:  111.4 KB

My initial sketch:
    The gray scale was done in copic markers. I was (and still am) having trouble with my tablet, so I figured I'd go with Adam Hughes' approach and gray scale the sketch then paste the colors over top in photoshop.
    Name:  stmpnk afo002-2.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  134.9 KB

With Colors:
    I then slapped some colors onto her using the pen tool. I realize that she needs more lights/shadows, and that I'm still not sure how exactly to render metallic surfaces (not to mention some anatomical changes as well!), but this is as far as I have gotten for now. The feet were cut off and I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out how they should be placed, so I replaced grass with steam. After all, Aphrodite was originally born from sea foam. Her steampunk counter part would (feasibly) have been born of steam, correct? XD
    But more than covering up mistakes, there are several components that I placed intentionally. As I said I didn't want the usual symbols of Valentine's day (whites, pinks, reds, etc.), so I kept with the metallic tones for the most part. But this being Aphrodite, I needed to incorporate more of her usual symbols. Therefore, I gave her 'red' hair and blue pieces on her outfit (another color associated with her).

Name:  stmpnk afo003-2.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  241.9 KB

Other sketches:
    Name:  stmpnkafro006.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  357.9 KB

Last edited by Phrix; April 6th, 2011 at 12:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CHoW # 234: Gods of Media and Technology

This is the first CHoW I did as a member of ConceptArt.org. CHoW # 234: Gods of Media and Technology
    This one was a challenge for me, but I enjoyed it. It was so open ended that I found it hard to figure out where to begin. I actually had to look around my room for inspiration. I saw my roommate (who is a tv addict), and I thought, 'Hey, why not do an ode to that lovely invention, the television?'

And so, here is idea number one: The God of TV

My reference board:
    I wanted to give the character an ethereal quality. Which meant: gender-ambiguous, powerful, and beautiful. I also wanted to incorporate that sense of omnipresent and cutting-edge media that tv represents to me. The god would then reflect the times and images that are found within modern tv programming.
    So, for the base I used Raja from RuPaul's Drag Race. This gave the God the face of a woman and the body of a man. Therefore, gender-ambiguous. I also incorporated some select choices from this fall 2010's fashion collections. These were the ones that gave old forms a modern twist by using different materials/patterns in their construction.
    Name:  tvgod-ref.png
Views: 1573
Size:  655.7 KB

My initial sketches:
    In my sketch I added extra arms to symbolize movement, just like with the Hindu gods and goddesses. After all, tv does work in the 4th dimension. It seemed to me that the God of TV should reflect that. I also made the hair into cables for obvious reasons. The visor/collar was the God's tv screen. It encompasses his whole head to represent how he can see everything at once. It was also meant to represent how tv is so engrossing that it can become your whole world and metaphorically encompass you.
    As you can see, I had a hard time with the foot and his face. Also, because the picture hard his right arm covered, I too cut off his right arm/s. It was not the best idea, and it is one of the reasons why I abandoned this drawing.
    As for the added patterns: I wanted the vest to looks like sleek, shiny plastic (like a television screen) and the pattern on the pants was mean to represent static.
    Name:  tvgod-prog.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  475.2 KB
    I ended up giving up this idea because there were many other people doing gods/goddesses of tv with much better styles and representations.

So I moved onto idea number 2: Goddess of the Red Carpet

My reference board:
    There was no reference board for this one. I just looked up red carpet and saw that many of the photographs were of women, standing there in pretty dresses and smiling. So, I sketched a generic woman and a wrapped her in a flowing red dress.
    There were two things that I wanted from this drawing: the woman to looks like she was the creator/apart of the carpet, and to work with my tablet to paint a pure, glowing red dress.

My progress shots:
    Name:  red carpet progress.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  420.8 KB
    It remains unfinished for now.

(All pictures were submitted into the correct CHoW forum)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CHoW # 235: Cirque de Mystère

I did not post this CHoW within the forums because I was still working on my WIP shots when the deadline passed. XD

This is CHoW # 235: Cirque de Mystère

This one is not finished in the least. However, I really like how it is turning out, and I'm definitely going to finish it as soon as I have time to work on it.

My reference board:
    This character doesn't really have an intense bio. She's pretty much just a thieving acrobat.
    Name:  acrobat-moodboard.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  279.2 KB

My progress shots:
    Because I figured that it would be hard to tell how she was a devious thief from a portrait-shot alone, I added a background.
    Name:  acrobat progress-1.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  380.4 KB

What I have so far:
    Her hips and legs look a bit small and short because they are going down, receding into space. Hopefully that becomes more readable when I finish my rendering. Her arms are also more muscled and her boobs are rather small because she has to work out a hell of a lot to do all of those fancy tricks.
    Name:  acrobat thief001-1.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  265.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CHoW # 236: Snow Mancer

For this week I was staying with a friend of mine for a week and so didn't have access to anything but my lap top and sketchbook.

I was really excited about this CHoW though! CHoW # 236: Snow Mancer

This one is still in the prelim sketch-stage but I also like how this one is turning out. It's also on the back burner until I can get more time to work on it.

My reference board:
    For this one, the character had to be able summon a snow-beast of some sort. A lot of people were having their characters use staffs or having them directly manipulating the snow when conjuring their beast.
    For mine, I was really inspired by the idea of tribal magic and the significance that they place in tattoos. Often times (at least in Africa) tattoos were meant as a way to call on the spirits of the tribe's ancestors to protect the individual from harm.
    In this case I was going to tattoo a stylized polar-bear skeleton onto the body of my character. This would allow her to conjure up a polar bear spirit beast.
    The fun part is that when she summons the beast her tattoos glow! (lawl, clichè, I know, I know. But what can I do? They're just so cool! XD)
    Name:  snowmancer-reference board2.png
Views: 1132
Size:  1.22 MB

What I have so far:
    Just the basic sketch, getting the pose down and having a hard time figuring out how the cloth should fold and stuff. Her hand got cut off because my sketchbook isn't wide enough, and I think her head is a bit small. XP
    Name:  snowmancer001-1.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  404.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CHoW # 240: Fairytales Retold - Red Riding Hood

First CHoW that I submitted a final for! Yaaaaaaaaaay!

This is CHoW # 240: Fairytales Retold - Red Riding Hood

My reference boards:
    For this CHoW I wanted to keep the general spirit of the story. For me this meant that I wanted to keep the warning within its general message. But instead of it saying "be wary of strangers" it says "this is what could happen if you don't build an air raid shelter."
    Also, the wolf in my version of events is the Focke-Wulf German air plane used in WWII. Of course, it wasn't actually used in night raids but oh well. Beggars can't be choosers. XP
    Name:  London, Blitz-1.png
Views: 1168
Size:  531.6 KB
    Name:  LRRH-ref board-1.png
Views: 974
Size:  421.9 KB

My progress shots:
    To justify taking time for this project, I had to combine it with the assignment I was given for my color theory class. Thankfully it was pretty open-ended onto how detailed we could make it. I'll still probably get some heat from the teacher, though, because I didn't use as many flat color planes as I should have done. Oh well. Heh heh heh.
    Also, I did a character sheet so I could get her costume and rough proportions down before I put her into the pose I wanted.
    I did a rough photo-collage so that I could get an idea of what London architecture looked like during the Blitz. I also changed the proportions of her arms and the angle of her body after some very helpful crits within the CHoW forum. I then scanned it in and enhanced some of the darks and lights in photoshop.
    Name:  LRRH-wip prog shots.png
Views: 946
Size:  849.6 KB

My final image:
    And then I added words to make it look a bit more like an authentic WWII poster.
    Name:  CHOW#240_Phrix.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  410.2 KB

Last edited by Phrix; April 16th, 2011 at 02:09 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hat Designs

My 3 hat designs for my 3D design class. I'm going to do the second one which is a turban-like creation.

Name:  hat006.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  357.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

card layouts

So, for my English class I'm lucky enough to get to design trading/game cards instead of doing a paper! The subjects of the cards are literary characters that we've covered in class this semester. I took the basic game and card types from the Yu-Gi-Oh! card game.

What we have here are the bases for:
    monster cards, trap cards
    spell cards, tuner monster cards

Name:  cards002.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  329.8 KB

(Tuner monster cards are monsters used in tandem with other monsters to summon another monster from your deck.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff. You are already working on your anatomy and such, so just push that further and you'll be half-way there. Really dig some of the stuff up there, very fashion design-ish. Was that what you were going for?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PLeon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PLeon View Post
    Nice stuff. You are already working on your anatomy and such, so just push that further and you'll be half-way there. Really dig some of the stuff up there, very fashion design-ish. Was that what you were going for?
    Lawl, thanks!
    I'm always working on anatomy, and these are really ruff because I have a hard time drawing from my head. Been using more and more photo references since the first one, though.
    And yeah, kind of. I have a hard time putting made-up figures into their made-up clothing, so I've been focusing more on the costume aspect in my CHoWs. I think that I may be having too much fun with it though u^-^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, and not to make it seem like I am 'bumping' the thread, here is an image!

Name:  CHoW002.png
Views: 903
Size:  35.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, so here are the cards that I made for my literary battle deck!
    They are from Petrarch's Canzoniere, Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray, and Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. The entire series is based on the Yu-Gi-Oh! card game.
    I made up Laura de Noves and Real Love from scratch. I photo-referenced and then edited Sibyl Vane, Juliet Capulet, Age Fourteen, Romeo Montague, Count Paris, The Lone Glove, and Lost Messenger. I traced to create Capulet Ball, Friar Lawrence, Prussic Acid, The Black Death, and Tybalt. All of the bios and attacks I made up to describe the story while still making the cards play-able.

The Monsters:
    Name:  cards-2monsters.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  348.0 KB

The Tuner Monsters:
    Name:  cards-2tuners.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  239.2 KB

The Summon Monsters:
    Name:  cards-2summons.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  231.8 KB

The Spells:
    Name:  cards-2spells.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  315.6 KB

The Traps:
    Name:  cards-2traps.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  384.4 KB

Edit: Sorry for any typos. I wrote out the bios and attacks at 6 in the morning while pulling an all-nighter. XP

Great work. you love your patterns.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mitze Thank you very much, and indeed I do!

Second CHoW t-shirt design:

Name:  CHOW006 copy.png
Views: 797
Size:  194.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hat WIP

Not sure if I can post this here, but oh well. Here it is.
    This is the beginnings of my hat. I completely redid the design because I found that I didn't have the know-how to make the other designs I wanted to make. That, and I wasn't too fond of them. XP

Here's the base skeleton. I used wire to get the shape and Bristol to fill in the cap.
    Name:  hat0064prog2.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  290.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nude Figure Sketches

Done from life, and not all that great. Not great quality photos either.
    But I realized that I really didn't have anything from life in this sketchbook and a lot of other people have their basic figure drawings in their sketchbooks, so I figured that I'd post them anyways.
    In real life they're all 18"x24", but here they're tiny so that they won't stretch out the page.

Name:  dudes1.png
Views: 832
Size:  1.24 MB
    Name:  dudes2.png
Views: 768
Size:  755.9 KB
    Name:  chicks1-1.png
Views: 763
Size:  1.17 MB
    Name:  chicks1-2.png
Views: 775
Size:  1.13 MB
    Name:  chicks2-1.png
Views: 753
Size:  577.8 KB
    Name:  chicks2-2.png
Views: 733
Size:  998.5 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 4,520 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Last edited by Velocity Kendall; April 24th, 2011 at 03:22 PM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hat WIP 2

Velocity Kendall Thank you very much

Update on the hat:
    I still need to do the third layer... XP

Name:  hat-prog2.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  299.9 KB
    Name:  hat-prog2-2.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  168.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

year 1 sem 1 sketch dump

Random drawings from the first semester.

Name:  sktchdump1.png
Views: 745
Size:  1.37 MB
    Name:  sktchdump2.png
Views: 710
Size:  1.13 MB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some of the work in that last post is great.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...9&d=1303711115
    ^The fencer(?) in this one in particular. Nice nouveau style designs on those cards too.

It seems a shame to lurk the CHOW stuff and produce work from the topics but not post it. Even if you don't intend to finish a piece it might be worth posting it in the WIP threads there for feedback. It's always handy to have some fresh perspectives on your work. Keep updating the sketchbook at least!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Gavage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Missile Thank you very much! That one was particularly difficult because we had to draw ourselves in armor, and all of the photos I had of armor were at the wrong angles. XP
    I do try to post, if it is an appropriate time to do so. But, often times, I'm unable to until the last minute and it seems pointless to post my starter image when everyone is moving to the finals thread.

I'll put more images here once I'm done with this bothersome hat... XP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hat Final

The hat is done!
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy XP

Name:  hat-prog3.png
Views: 695
Size:  686.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The armour still looks good, it seems like the awkward perspectives have made it look quite nicely stylised if anything.

Know what you mean about having some new work when the CHOW seems like it's finishing and everyone's moving onto something else.. still, it's not a bad idea to post away - the main bonus of posting in a CHOW topic is that people will be much more likely to know what you're aiming for. But yeah, if the way you're doing it now is working for you then there's no need to change it.

Nice hat! I like the beads over the face, very Alexander McQueen.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Gavage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

apples

Missile Thank you very much! It helped that the assignment was a line drawing. I don't think I could have made up the reflections/shadows for it from my head @-@
    I shall keep this in mind when next I do a CHoW doodle
    Thanks again! Those beads were nothin but nightmares. ;-;
    And Alexander McQueen, eh? He was and still is an inspirational man, to be sure, but I didn't even think of his designs when I made this. I'm just not that sophisticated I guess. XD
    I was inspired by this, this, and this design for Queen Amidala from Star Wars Episode I. XD

Random 2 hr illustration for my English class. We had to create an 'apple' based upon what the word "apple" meant to each of us.
    For mine, I just did the first (and I think only) time I was ever able to pick an apple off the tree to eat. It was still green, but I was too excited to care. (I was only about 7 after all... XD)

Name:  apple001.png
Views: 646
Size:  555.1 KB

Name:  apple002.png
Views: 649
Size:  549.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, my mistake. I had a bunch of haute couture pictures on my old computer where beady veil stuff was quite prominent, I assumed they were McQueen but a quick search of his stuff didn't bring up anything similar. Can't find the exact images at the moment but I think that might have been Jean Paul Gaultier - pop him into google sometime along with 'haute couture', there's a stack of fascinating wirey headgear that makes Amidala look quite normal.

Your line art is strong. I'm trying to pinpoint some flaw in the painting side, all I can really see is that the colours tend to get a bit muddy and dark - taking the RRH one for example, even the lightest shade in it is still quite darkened. It looks like you already get how to place a lighting source so I'm thinking this is the kind of thing you just need to keep practicing with. (If you're working in Photoshop, I've found playing around with the curves in the image > adjustments tab can alter a piece quite well for light and shadows.)

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Gavage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Missile Heh heh, no problem, and thanks a bunch! I looked up Gaultier's stuff and it is quite impressive. The floor-length white wire head piece looks like a headache though... literally XD
    And I can see what you mean. Especially based upon the few paintings that I have in this thread. My main comment about the LRRH one would be that I actually made it dark/neutral-muddy on purpose because the scene is supposed to be at night. That being said, I'm wondering if I perhaps went too dark/muddy with it. XP
    In any case, I'll remember to think about the purity of my colors in my next painting.

More figurative work from last semester:

Name:  sktchdump3.png
Views: 615
Size:  744.8 KB

Name:  sktchdump4.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  238.5 KB

Name:  sktchdump5.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  191.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those are some fantastic life studies Phrix. Some minor anatomy issues on the 4th, 6th and 7th one, but good nonetheless.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to PLeon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

year 1 sem 2 sketch dump

PLeon Ahaha, thank you very much, though I think that there are probably anatomical issues on every one of them. XD
    Just gotta keep on truckin 'til I get it right. B)

More recent works! Yaaaaaay

Name:  sketchdump1.png
Views: 589
Size:  1.04 MB

Name:  sketchdump2.png
Views: 570
Size:  793.1 KB

Name:  sktchdump3.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  316.7 KB

Name:  sktchdump4.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  256.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrix View Post
    Missile Heh heh, no problem, and thanks a bunch! I looked up Gaultier's stuff and it is quite impressive. The floor-length white wire head piece looks like a headache though... literally XD
    And I can see what you mean. Especially based upon the few paintings that I have in this thread. My main comment about the LRRH one would be that I actually made it dark/neutral-muddy on purpose because the scene is supposed to be at night. That being said, I'm wondering if I perhaps went too dark/muddy with it. XP
    In any case, I'll remember to think about the purity of my colors in my next painting.
    I'm seriously no expert with lighting so take all of this with a monstrous amount of salt but with a grim night scene I think it works just as well to play around with intense shadows and limited splashes of light rather than the overall darkness. Keeping with Hood as an example, the explosion would be quite a strong lighting source to play with; with light from it hitting the street, the opposite building, debris and the back of the Little Red one herself.

Here's a quick paintover to try to show you what I mean: http://i.imgur.com/Sc3Ak.jpg

But yeah, mountain of salt. Nice studies in the last couple of posts! You hit the lighting really well with charcoal/pencil. It adds a bit of dramatic character to the figures.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Gavage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.