Does any of this make sense?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Does any of this make sense?

I attend an art college already, which I won't mention within this post, and I was just wondering if anyone has thought or felt what I have been thinking of recently.

They claim the school is dedicated entirely to art, yet I see it as being a crock of shit. I've talked to numerous people, friends and those who I don't even know, from the school and asked if anything was required outside their application to the school for them to be accepted, they told me nothing. This amazed me being I was asked myself from one of the office faculty members to submit four pieces of mine, two pencil, one ink, and one painting, and nobody else (to my knowledge) was required to do this. So does that pretty much mean anyone can be accepted into the same art school I go to relentless if they know how to draw or not? I guess so being the only thing that seperates those who are in our school and those who aren't is the amount of money they come with.

Plus it's not just that. I respect the artwork that comes out of my school, art is art. I'm not one to dismiss somebody else's work because it doesn't look "pretty" to me or that it looked like it could of taken me five minutes to do what they spent an entire night on, I have no right to think that way. As a group of people wanting to become artists, I find it bizzare that we criticize other people's work so much, and don't allow ourselves to become a BIT more open-minded then those outside of our school. How could someone possibly make artwork if they don't even allow themselves to see what's around them? I find it impossible.

Plus (this is my own opinion) I think that majority of the people I've come to know, are too afraid to try somethig new, or actually put in effort on something they have never tried before. I can recall numerous classes where there were assigned projects in which the class was required to work with a medium they have never worked with before. I know for a fact that some of my friends blew it off thinking it would be a waste of time considering that what they know now is good enough, what a bunch of bullshit! Why go to an art school making the same old shit people have seen a million times? I am tired of looking through a portfolio and seeing a drawing of a fancy foreign car or a life-like picture of a super-model. A car is a car in which will always be a car and never anything more then a car.

Isn't art supposed to be about making a statement? Isn't it about expressing yourself as an individual? Doesn't a a sketchbook become a visual journal of your experiences in life and the lessons though through it? If all I see is something that was inspired by some bullshit reality tv show or some cheesy movie as the matrix, what are you telling me? Nothing! Except for the fact that you just draw what you like, but nothing more.

I'm not saying it's a sin to draw such things, but when you make it your "passion" to draw what's already been made, how can you learn from it? I like to live my life by these rules when creating an art piece, which I am not saying is right, I just speak for myself on this.

1.) I won't use profanity ot offensive material in order to attract somebody's attention, I'll make sure my work can do it alone without it.

2.) I refuse to create something which I have already seen before somewhere else outside of my sketchbook. I support becoming inspired and creating something based on it or similiar, but flat out COPYING the same thing is pointless. Well except for practice I suppose.

3.) I rather create something unique and different and be told it is a dissapointing piece by my peers then create something that is expected and be praised for it.

4.) If something comes to my mind for a sketch or add on to it, and it seem's too obvious, I won't use it. I don't want to create something which somebody will say "oh yeah...that was pretty simple" I wan't to examine it and think for themselves for it.

5.) I refuse to "dumb down" my work. Why should I have to spoon-feed you everything I want you to know or see about my work when I already take into consideration you have a mind of your own with your own beliefs and perspective.

Anywho, I'm sure I've written enough to where most people won't finish it because it's too much, or others will lift their nose since it's "selfish" of me to think this way. I just wanted to vent on a message forum dedicated entirely to art where a group of intelligent people gather to tell a story, express an emotion, and amaze themselves with their own ideas and creations.

Thanks.

"You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else." - Tyler Durden
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i am sorry i never spoke up before.
    i rather enjoyed your artwork. i do not know if i had mentioned it before, but it was nice to see something different.

it makes me happy to see there are other expressive artists at our school. i consider myself as one.

you are doing fine. not only is expressing yourself with your art risky at times, in that type of community (gamers) it asks for criticism from those who have never really opened their minds to artwork outside of that they are not used to.

keep in mind your peers are still young and niave, even some of the new "pros"
    try not to be bothered by their opinion of your work (or their loose chastising) - let them have 'em.

-killing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gr8 sounds like he is an expressionist amongst pop art junkies, lol.

The one question I have before I really reply though Gr8 is to what level of art are you talking about "high" or "low" because as KillingP mentioned you are into gaming art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Killing, inspite of what may have happened at the game art forum, I always did have a great deal of respect and truely did consider you a talented artist who was in a league of his own. Reading your response brings reassurance to myself, I feel that if anyone would have understood what I was trying to get at, I knew you would.

Presence, I initially joined the school under a game art and design program in which I would earn a BA in. After going through a year and a half of the Game Art Program, I had switched over Graphic Design. I enjoyed working with Max and learning all there was with 3D modeling, it was something I had never touched before. However I noticed that with the classes geared outside Game Art, dealing more with flat work and working with Illustrator or Photoshop, I felt as if I had more of an idea as to what I was doing, and was overall happier working with these programs nonstop, even outside of class. I didn't just want to switch over to a different major as if the time prior to thinking of this was worth nothing at all to me, I saw things in every perspective and upon much thinking, made the switch over to Graphic Design.

I've been a graphic design student for 6 months now, and while my credits in 2D & 3D animation are now useless, I don't regret a single thing. it's these steps in life I had to take in order to know what I was actually capable of. I've had friends who doubted me decesions and assumed I switched for the sake of not having to work as hard as they would. Which is all bullshit. Game art, graphic design, culinary, animation, interior design, and such other art programs are no easier then the other, only reason somebody would assume this would be because they are just plain ignorant. I admit to doing this myself, but knowing people within this majors made me realize that they work just as hard as I do, or least they have that option to, they can be lazy as hell and then yeah, I could say "wow, culinary looks damn easy!"

As far as your question regarding "high" or "low" art, to be honest with you, I don't think I quite understand. Forgive me, and I hope that I did not come off as someone who didn't care to answer your question, but I rather just admit I don't know something then bullshit an answer and not even know what I gave out. So if you wouldn't mind, I would like to know more about what you asked, and would be more then happy to answer your question.

However, I would like to add one more statement to my "rant" if nobody minds. But honestly, when it comes to turning in my work for completion, being if it is for myself or for an instructor, I like to place something on it in which isn't visible at all. Call me crazy, but I refuse to turn a single project in without giving my "stamp" of approval. If I'm not happy with how something turned out, then why would I want to show it off to somebody else? Like I read in a issue of Computer Art Projects magazine (great mag by the way), a art director claimed that when creating artwork, realize that your signature alone is you're trademark, your logo in a way. Because in a sense, when people view your work, relentless if they love it or hate it, they will be searching for a name, and that is the one thing which will immeadiatly seperate you from everyone else, because nobody will sign their work the way you do, not just in signature by in style as well.

"You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else." - Tyler Durden

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suppose I would consider your typical ferrari sketch from car and driver magazine low art and perhaps something along the lines of the Nike of Samothrice high art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeh i would consider Nike of Somathrice high art.
    Now, Gr8, i experienced this same problem whilst in high school. I was one of the considered top artists there, probably number three. the two guys ahead of me, good friends of mine, were into the anime thing, ya know drawing huge eyes and samurai swords all day long. So, naturally, i did too. unfortunately, my art truly suffered for it. Almost to the end of senior year, i evaluated myself. i realized that i didn't want to draw that crap. given, i love fantasy art. but REALISTIC fantasy art (frazetta, llewelyn, etc...). I started doing my own thing, and wouldn't ya know it, i gotta into art school, and am on the road to doing what i want to do. so i applaud you for sticking to your guns and being the artist you want to be. [begin playing star-spangled banner and cue fireworks]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    danm str8, gr8100

I have great faith in fools. My friends call it self confidence.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the responses.

With those examples given to me, I would aim more towards the high art, something being more remembered by then recreating an object that has been done to death in every possible way. Like somebody told me yesterday, by running over a dead cat, it only get's flatter and flatter; so why bother creating something that has been done by SO many other people.

Now I am not saying that is wrong to do that and ALL thoughts have to be NEW thoughts, that is impossible. The way I see it, a great artist doesn't just slap down a car or a hot model on a "canvas" and call it a day. Like I said, it's boring; however, what they will do is add that certain twist, that secret ingredient (sp?) to make it come off as being something brand new to the public, but in reality was a subject was revamped, or evolved.

Which is why I think the school I attend, and any art school for this matter, needs to push that out more. I am sure Terantino didn't just wake up one day in the middle of the night and thought of his movies (not sure if anyone here is a fan of his work, but i consider them to be unique). He actually researched nonstop, did tons of miniture ideas for the big picture, and actually knew what he wanted. I feel it's the opposite at times with some of the people who attend school, they just jump straight from concept to final. I realize now, that if that was to occur, I really wouldn't be shocked to see another dodge viper.

I spoke to a well respected teacher about this and he told me key to great art is to first think up of a concept, gather research, create numerous thumbnails, narrow it down to two or so roughs, get feedback, and then go on to create the final piece. I knew this sounded so basic and easy, but even I forgot about doing that and just jumped straight into doing just the concept and into the final. Plus it isn't just a straight path from point "A" to point "B" and so on and so on. This teacher stressed out big time how you will be at the part prior to your final piece and may have to go all the way back to the research or concept or thumbs. Relentless of where you are at, you are able to always go back and fix something. I think that at times, some people feel pressured to just continue and go relentless of where they are at because they consider all the time spent already on their work, that it would be a "waste" to just go all the way back to the drawing board.

haha, I am sorry to hear of your story and congratulate you on your success and vision of art. Continue to stick to that road and you'll do just fine, trust me. Course I'm sure you already know that, but I do give you a lot of credit for doing what you have already done in HS. I just realized this now after being in college for a year and a half, so kudos to you.

Bradart, thanks for the support man, always appreaciated.

Members who have read this thread: 1