Art: Sculpey question?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Sculpey question?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sculpey question?

This will be my first post and thank you all for knowledge and info you have all posted in the past.I like all the newbies have been just reading and looking.I have a scupley question, i have a basic heat gun from lowes and i was wondering if you can heat up a area in a sculpt and add clay after it was dry or heat up one side and work on another.Heres the piece

So ive detailed the bottom of this skull but didnt want to lay it down to detail the top part as shown.Can i dry the bottom and still work on the top to detail it.
    Its very thin.Would the heat go right through to the top and harden?
    Im will post any follow up question right away if theres not enough info.Oh and will dry pieces crack off wet clay easily?

Last edited by zuckuss77; April 2nd, 2011 at 09:10 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any advice would do.I know its a grey area if there was a question of what could happen but any idea would help.Heres a pic of what it is for.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I use a heat gun to cure polymer clay when I don't want to put in the oven yet. If you are careful, you should be able to harden the finished side enough that it wil have formed a hard 'crust'. But much easier is, as you suggested, to bake the whole thing and add clay to the baked piece later. If possible, roughen the side that needs clay adding to it to give the next later of clay something to adhere to, if not, it should be okay. I created the laser gun for the 1/3 Predator bust I did by baking, adding and rebaking in parts until it was finished.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So it is possible to rebake a project with new clay added without over baking?Will there be any damage?Thanks for the info by the way im was dying over here waiting to hear from someone.thanks again.Is scupley that amazing where you can do more than that?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes you can bake and rebake. The only effect it will have is that the older parts that have been baked serveral times will go a dark brown colour, but will be stronger. Sculpey that has just been added will be lighter.

The general advice is to put your sculpture in the oven and bake at around 200 degrees for about an hour and a half, then turn the oven off, and let it cool down, don't take the sculpture out of the oven until its cooled or cracks are more likely to form.

Last edited by Alaneye; April 5th, 2011 at 05:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is the oven better than the heat gun.I figure it would be but i was wondering if the difference is that severe.I do like the heat gun due to quick baking.Looking forward to your predator!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaneye View Post
    The general advice is to put your sculpture in the over and bake at around 200 degrees for about an hour and a half, then turn the over off, and let it cool down, don't take the sculpture out of the over until its cooled or cracks are more likely to form.
    Are you sure for the temperature? for me it was more around 120 to 130C.
    And for bakeing/re-baking you can add on your already baked piece some white spirit with a paint brush all over the sculpture, this will increase the adhesion of fresh sculpey.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    200F.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua A.C. Newman View Post
    200F.
    My first thought was 200F but it corresponds to 93C, are you curing at such low temperature?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sculptlab View Post
    Are you sure for the temperature? for me it was more around 120 to 130C.
    Hi, the instructions say: "Super Sculpey should be cured in a preheated 275 degree F (130 degree C) oven for 15 minutes per quarter inch of thickness."

But many people believe this is too hot and prefer to bake at a lower temperature over a longer period of time claiming the clay cures better.

Al

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by zuckuss77 View Post
    Is the oven better than the heat gun.I figure it would be but i was wondering if the difference is that severe.I do like the heat gun due to quick baking.Looking forward to your predator!!!!!!!!
    If you are going to use the original sculpture, rather than making a resin copy, I would definately bake in the oven. The heat gun is good for hardening the sculpey quickly, but it isn't really cured properly and may not last. I've heard it said that if sculpey is not cured properly it tends to crumble over time.

The predator was finished last year. I've posted it here:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...57#post3088857

Al

Last edited by Alaneye; April 5th, 2011 at 06:17 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.