Painter 12 nearly here? Now here since May 11(10th) 2011 - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Painter 12 nearly here? Now here since May 11(10th) 2011

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyCarolan View Post
    Regarding the original title of this post, I'm wondering whether to buy Painter 11 or wait for the possible release of 12... Wish Corel would give at least a hint of what is going on lol
    Sorry, most companies rarely do. They're still in a business to sell product and not undermine product that is out.

Like I said this is common with most companies out there.

Some exceptions are cell phone companies - I mean cell phone companies are more open about new product because a lot trap you in 2 year agreements so you're less likely to jump onto a new phone due to upfront cost once you got one already and are sitting in your 2 year agreement.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Sorry, most companies rarely do. They're still in a business to sell product and not undermine product that is out.

Like I said this is common with most companies out there.

Some exceptions are cell phone companies - I mean cell phone companies are more open about new product because a lot trap you in 2 year agreements so you're less likely to jump onto a new phone due to upfront cost once you got one already and are sitting in your 2 year agreement.

Yup, totally understand (and agree), I understand that the beta calls ended in January and just dont want to buy a product that may very soon be replaced with a new release

Andy Carolan Illustration and Design

www.andy-carolan.co.uk

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went ahead and borrowed 11 from a friend since he's a mainly Photoshop and filters guy. Not a big fan of anything else except those Real Pencils (totally worth my while),
    and the Markers look a bit more promising than previous versions. The transform tool upgrade is appreciated also. Not much of an improvement over X in my opinion,
    the reason for the loan was to familiarize myself with the change in hotkey and workflow updated in 11 so I can get ready for 12....hoping that 12 is around the corner that is.

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Regarding the original title of this post, I'm wondering whether to buy Painter 11 or wait for the possible release of 12... Wish Corel would give at least a hint of what is going on lol
    Assuming you haven't already done so, you can get a 30 day trial of version 11 from Corel's site. If v12 is released on 20th May, that would be perfect to tide you over.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to D0ming0 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by D0ming0 View Post
    Assuming you haven't already done so, you can get a 30 day trial of version 11 from Corel's site. If v12 is released on 20th May, that would be perfect to tide you over.
    Thanks, yes Ive already done that. I think I probably have about 20 days left of that lol

www.andy-carolan.co.uk

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by curtmantle View Post
    I wouldn't get too excited. A similar thing happened when ArtRage 3 was in development. ImagineFX advertised that Nick Harris would be introducing ArtRage 3's new features 'Next Month' but neither the feature nor ArtRage 3 appeared for about another 6 months.
    Give that man a cigar! Imagine FX Issue 70 just dropped through my letterbox and guess what...no mention of Painter 12 at all!

There is an Andrew Jones cover, and an article from him, but not a thing about Painter.

Strange, but this issue is way early, I wasn't expecting it for another week.

J.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Give that man a cigar! Imagine FX Issue 70 just dropped through my letterbox and guess what...no mention of Painter 12 at all!

There is an Andrew Jones cover, and an article from him, but not a thing about Painter.

Strange, but this issue is way early, I wasn't expecting it for another week.

J.
    I got mine too this morning - it seems very early and even more surprising on a holiday weekend. I didn't for one second imagine that the magazine would reveal anything about Painter 12 before Corel themselves made some kind of announcement.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wonder if I'm finally going to be able to retire my Painter IX.5 or if Painter 12 will be as buggy and unstable as 11. Painter IX.5 is more stable on Win x64 than Painter 11, which is a bit of a paradox given its age.

Somehow I suspect that all we'll get is more broken features and fluff we don't want at the expense of the stuff we do, such as stability, performance, multi-core and large RAM support.

*ALL* I want from 12 is a version of Painter that works properly in a modern 64-bit environment and lets me paint at high res efficiently and without crashing. Well, I can dream .....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now don't get me wrong here, Painter 11 has known bugs, but when I hear things about it's stability and speed, it just makes me wonder. Painter never crashes for me. I run a 44" printer so I'm creating huge files. Plus the performance of several brushes are very fast for large documents. I can't even make pattern chalk lag and it lays down an incredible amount of detail. Painter smear is way faster than Photoshop smudge at large sizes, sargent brush is crazy fast, etc. etc.

Anyways, here's a little nugget of hope. Check out these badass brushes being used literally ON the Sydney Opera House!!! It shows droid loading Painter 12, maybe that's how he's been doing all this incredible light painting lately, so badass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_ClOq0Wtkg

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James Thornton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like James, Painter 11 works relatively problem free for me too. I can't remember a crash.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Me too, Painter 11 does a good job, I just like new toys! I've had a couple of heartbreaking crashes, but they were 95% my own stupidity. The user interface is getting dated, but hey, how dated is a pencil and paper, and that still works pretty well.

But I do wish they would fix/enhance the scripting. I only found that recently. I could easily be awesome, instead of pretty much useless.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The user interface is getting dated, but hey, how dated is a pencil and paper, and that still works pretty well.
    Quite true, the venerable pencil and paper is my Favorite interface to be honest. I've never really been bothered with the interface in painter, i highly customize it for my use then hide it while painting anyway.

MSG V

To All My Brothers-In-Arms Overseas, God Bless You, Come Home Safe!!!

OIF 07-08

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The only lag and crashing I get from Painter is when I'm trying to build a brush in the Brush Creator. It makes sense since Corel coded Painter to redecorate itself every time you call it up; easily jacking up whatever workspace arrangement you had going. This was worse on Windows Vista, half of the time causing the entire workspace to be completely unmanageable, forcing you to quit altogether. It's annoying as fuck, but I'm patient enough to forgive it. I've been working on Windows7 lately, but the lag is still there. That's one of the biggest issues that need to be resolved ASAP.

P.R.I.D.E.

Professional
    Results
    In
    Daily
    Efforts

Learn it. Live it. Love it.
    [/CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by joeparis View Post
    Like James, Painter 11 works relatively problem free for me too. I can't remember a crash.
    It crashed quite a bit for me back when that CPU bug that took a while to fix was present. It also crashed when guides and rulers were present (which was a legacy bug from previous versions) It wouldn't even give an error report. Just Poof, bye bye.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ak-Nolij View Post
    The only lag and crashing I get from Painter is when I'm trying to build a brush in the Brush Creator. It makes sense since Corel coded Painter to redecorate itself every time you call it up; easily jacking up whatever workspace arrangement you had going.
    Yeah, don't go near it. If you haven't done already, learn to modify brushes using the main Brush Controls Palette. The Brush Creator is wacky.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The user interface is getting dated, but hey, how dated is a pencil and paper, and that still works pretty well.
    Ahh but there are different kinds of pencils out there. Some like mechanical, some like drafting others like woodless or cased. Some like a certain brand of pencils basic is still there, changes to the weight, casing and lead can make a difference. Same with paper and its quality.

So Painter with its interface also has redundant palettes when it comes to brush or library controls, or controls that don't work, and a non intuitive interface when it comes to loading custom brushes. You often have to mess with system files which are hidden by default and really shouldn't be messed with. Photoshop makes this process easier.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds good, only real news is multicore support, now my interest has sparked.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well that page didn't stay up long…
    new features sound tiiiiight though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by James Thornton View Post
    well that page didn't stay up long…
    new features sound tiiiiight though
    Google cache still has the article:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...=www.google.ca

Last edited by Arshes Nei; April 29th, 2011 at 06:39 PM.
    Occupo piscis piscis

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Improv For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was up on the 27th, I emailed the author to ask about a release date, but so far... nothing. My guess/hope is early May Corel may make an announcement?

www.andy-carolan.co.uk

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was up on the 27th, I emailed the author to ask about a release date, but so far... nothing. My guess/hope is early May Corel may make an announcement?
    Check out post #5 by Ikken in this thread. If you follow the link, it's to Amazon.uk. They say that Corel Painter 12 will be on sale by them in England on May 20th.

Occupo piscis piscis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe something will be revealed during this webinar with Android Jones on May 11th.

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli.../1299698571523

Last edited by dvillus; April 30th, 2011 at 01:15 PM.
    MSG V

To All My Brothers-In-Arms Overseas, God Bless You, Come Home Safe!!!

OIF 07-08

ikken is offline Her Wings Glow According To Her Mood © Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting
    I assume they're implementing a new, artrage style watercolour, or the old watercolour at least became usable with proper multicore support?
    Also hope that real wet oil paint also replicates its artrage sister quite closely, hate how current artists oils don't work properly with brush pressure.

I'm really curious right now, hopefully it's as stable as recent 2 versions, and perfomance improvements are not bullshit "our brushes now work up to 10x times faster!11" from painter IX press-release.

(there's nothing about 64-bit support either, but proper multithreading is still good.)

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Improv View Post
    Google cache still has the article:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...=www.google.ca
    This sounds spectacular!!! Can't wait. Photoshop is great, but I'll always love painter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Older versions of Painter

I would still be using Painter 7 if I could. To me it was the best version ever released. However, my Mac OS 10.4.11 won't work with it. I'm using Painter IX.5 right now and getting by with it by using my very old brushes - some from early versions of Painter Classic. I won't upgrade to any other version unless I'm convinced that it is somehow better.

Normally, I upgrade all of my software to the latest version, but not with Painter.

I've hesitated a bit on getting Photoshop CS5 because of the cost. I'm retired. I think Adobe should offer a hefty discount to seniors who have bought every version of Photoshop since its inception, as I have. After all, how much could they lose? I'm less than a month away from 75 years old. (Gulp!)

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fredbt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    So Painter with its interface also has redundant palettes when it comes to brush or library controls, or controls that don't work, and a non intuitive interface when it comes to loading custom brushes. You often have to mess with system files which are hidden by default and really shouldn't be messed with. Photoshop makes this process easier.
    Totally agree. I came to Painter on V11 and find the whole customization thing, while in theory very useful, has proved to be a real pain. My palettes never seem to load in the same place twice, and at the moment none of them will resize, grrrr! I struggle on but I feel a reset in my near future. I've kinda settled on leaving the interface alone.

I'm afraid of investing a lot of time on custom brushes, I just use the defaults mainly, tweaking them when necessary. The brushes interface could do with a wholesale redesign, which I don't think it's going to get.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Fredbt damn cool to hear of a 74 yr old digital painter! Most of you old school artists are traditionalists who turn their nose up at the digital art form. Cheers to you sir, may this Painter be the one worth your upgrade, salute!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by James Thornton View Post
    @ Fredbt damn cool to hear of a 74 yr old digital painter! Most of you old school artists are traditionalists who turn their nose up at the digital art form. Cheers to you sir, may this Painter be the one worth your upgrade, salute!
    +1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredbt View Post
    I've hesitated a bit on getting Photoshop CS5 because of the cost. I'm retired. I think Adobe should offer a hefty discount to seniors who have bought every version of Photoshop since its inception, as I have. After all, how much could they lose? I'm less than a month away from 75 years old. (Gulp!)
    In this case, they should have enough respect and gratitude in having such a devoted customer that they send you the latest version to your door 2 weeks before the official launch free of charge. I would.

Chipsterology Sketchbook - Open for crits - 24hrs
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126257
    Twitter: Chipsterology

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.