Sketchbook: personnal sketchbook - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: personnal sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job so far! Keep drawing from life and working on your observational skills!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks marvin yes if i have the time i do!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man thanks for the comment, about the pencil lines just try and use one single line to describe a curve dont use lots of little lines, say more with less. concentrate on the line you want to make wether your drawing from life or from imagination and dont worry about messing it up, if you do worry about that then you wont be thinking about the line and you will mess it up. I hope that helps, not sure I explained it very well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, good start. I always give this advice to guys starting out, i remembering being exactly where you are. Go find some good books on simple anatomical breakdown, get a big fat ream of cheap copier paper and just draw. Keep it loose and keep starting new pieces. If you focus on detail too early on, you get bogged down. So focus on the broad strokes and getting the figure balance and volumes right. You can focus on the smaller things later, and your finished pieces will benefit immensely, trust me.

Now go forth and conquer!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You are diligent at your head studies... Wow.
    It seems cylindrical form and pelvis are weak points of you. The human face and figure is pretty hard, they aren't bad at all considering you haven't been drawing for a long time, of course, there are huge room for improvement

Figure with proportions (last one in #49): The ribcage seems to be too shallow for the rest of the body, the pelvis shows both male and female characteristics and the head of femur is extremely far from it, imagine where his thighs would be, with muscles and everything... I wonder if I'm clear...

Digital media: If you want to use it, at least use hard brushes with higher opacity, you can lower opacity for details, but in the sketching phase they just came into your way and your work won't be solid.
    The coloring of your last head is totally useless at the point where your forms and values aren't right. No need to rush.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you shinin for the constructive comments!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work you have here and there is only one piece of advice I have: MORE practice!!!

There are small things that you could work on, like different ways to put color on the head or different brushes, but I think before you get into any of that you should just use a pencil and paper to get a better feel for lines, proportions and the other "basics"

If you really want to work digitally I'd say try to use a very hard brush that mimics ink and make sure not to get too used to CTRL+Z. Also try to do some life studies. Get an apple or an onion, place it so that the light will fall on it and paint what you see, learn to see the colors and edges.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Feeling the form" is a concept that's a bit tough to get, but keep up the work you're doing and it'll start to make sense. You'll start to be able to see the 3D form on a 2D surface and then you can almost 'feel' how the form goes forward or back in space, as if you had your hand on a sculpture. But it takes a lot of time and effort to get, but you're on the right track. Hopefully you'll have some time to resume your studies soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks sycra yeap thats something that i want to acquire.I hope i ll have some time soon as iam getting rusty !!thanks again for the feedback!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, thanks for visiting my sketchbook. It's great to see all the studies you've done, I really should do more of those as well!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you rayna trying to get the head into my head!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The studies are looking good! keep doing them. I think i'm gonna take a look at the bridgman book too (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey u guys fullfilled my army duties applied to a graphics design school and iam back in the game here are some new stuff i was working on

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "no power" is very nice, the rest is very good too, well done keep up the great work (black and white is very good too)

So you think , that you are a noob ? Wait till you see my sketchbook.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=135839

If you want something better then listen to my music

http://www.soundclick.com/kilon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a bunch of new stuff The faces are the best, I don't want to criticize them, just the blurry brushwork. Harder brushes would be better even if they may be frightening at first... Maybe you reached the point where you are totally into them in the near future, who knows? I definitely don't want to force you, I couldn't do it anyway, I just tell you my belief
    The first pic in #76 is a lovely idea, such things may be cliche but I can't have enough from skulls, half-skeletons and twirly twigs... The text doesn't look right on the pic, the branches are grawing irrealistically (I don't mean their shapes... they comes too many from the same place and everyone grows to the right or to the left, making the tree 2 dimensional) but it might be your intention, being a totally irrealistic tree to begin with. It seems a bit overdone to me though... But it makes me want to draw something similar...

The eye isn't quite right but it's the case when only practice helps.

If you wished to paint a human skull, the proportion aren't right, the mouth is way too low and the top of the head is too high/bulging too. If drawing a human skull wasn't your intention, ignore this The lighting isn't quite right, it seems you didn't use a reference... It's not easy without them, I know it very well.

Man with sword: I don't quite see what his body does. It's always strange to see a picture where some parts are rendered, others are messy and the different parts suggest different lighting circumstances. The face has high contrasts but the other parts haven't. You may say it's unfinished but why to render the sword so carefully? It's always better when you don't neglect any parts during rendering. And it's not even about details now - but values that's very basic.

I hope you understood my post at least partially, my English doesn't match my enthusiasm. I wished to help and say you things I know they're helpful and learned from others here in CA, maybe you got a too high dose from my harsh inner crits...

Practice and feed us more stuff soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shinin first thank u so much for replying the design is for t-shirt print and is intentionally that way i know i ve overdone it at some points but thats how i wanted it.For the faces they are completetely done without a ref,the skull was tonal and color practise as are the animals above.I am studying heads from the recommended books mentioned here in ca.org and from other concept artists work.Iam trying dude its coming out slowly.But i see progress and much room for more stay tuned mate more is coming and thank u so much for critisizing i want it so in future posts fire away dont hesitate.Constructive critisism makes our work better thanks again dude cya around!!!\m/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    recent stuff tried to draw a female face lol!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello guys more stuff for crit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hm... The new girl face seems better than the previous one (maybe technically not, dunno but I like it more the other had a too harsh "cheap " look with some mess around the face itself). It's good enough to talk about its flaws seriously.
    It's time to study the structure of the head more, learn about its planes, detailed anatomy of features... You obviously have a good idea about them but you need even more.
    And... the face isn't just the features, even if you draw its surroundings, unlike beginners who just paste the mere features onto a roundish shape. The chin is okay-ish but the values on the cheeks seem a bit random, vague, blurred. I don't see you kept in mind where the jaw is.
    The philtrum isn't realistic with that too dark curve instead of some more subtle shading.
    Maybe drawing az older or harsher face would do good. A young gal often has a subtle and simple face where important things get smoothed out. A face with more lines or edges might give you some ideas. (Or even a good caricature... Tom Richmond's wonderful works helped me a lot.)
    Oh and make sure you draw the head before add the hair.
    Plus don't use soft brushes when you just want to add some strokes for the torso, it looks very amateurish and not nice.

Looking at the last pic, it would be good to check how arms attach to the torso, that creature look odd - it's always hard to say such things when the one in question has no normal human anatomy but unless it's intentional to seem as a messed up creature, you might wanna fix that.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shinin thank u for the crit thats the way i want comments to be.Yeap i need more work in every aspect either the head or the body which i havent studied at all i am going progressivelly from the head down to the rest of the body and yeap i need more work on that but i am on it keep in touch man your crits are the least needed since you have a much better understanding of these stuff!keep in touch!\m/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    concept thingie necroghost part mechanic-spectral its the necromancers spawn-pawn am working on some concepts i have in mind but i dont really give them the time they deserve.Iam just scribbling an idea to work on later.Tell what u think.cheers\m/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess this idea can lead to a cool pic Now I can't say more, rendering can change sooo much. Sometimes a sketch has a great impact, sometimes not. His head lacks something at the moment and the long things on the head are too uneven.
    I'm interested in how this will turn out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    latest stuff:a conceptual piece was realy a color exercise and a preliminary sketch for a portrait.tell me what u think
    shinin ummm about the previous one i am not giving them a lot of time iam just trying to train my self with values and forms basic stuff i know but i see lacking and iam training to grasp them anyways.Basic training in general thats what iam up to and as for the human form iam wnat first to master a more cartoony-anime style and then move on to a more realistic look start with easier things first.Btw does anyone have to suggest a good book about color and practical use on pieces??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my lad, do you think mastering cartoony/anime style is easier than drawing realistically? You are oh so totally mistaken.
    You must know anatomy pretty well to draw in stylized style, realism must come first, in general. You needn't know very much about real heads to draw a really stylized head, I think, some kind of anime heads can have not much to do with real heads... And a cartoony body can be a bean based simple thing where you need to be a master of flow and rhytm then anatomy, but most stylized stuff is based on anatomy knowledge, apparently. If you see not sticks for legs but slightly wavy lines that looks damn good for some reason, it's quite sure the artist knows about muscles...
    Anime is usually based on real anatomy, there's no easy way out. And even for the most stylized stuff, drawing real figures helps, I'm sure.
    Just because something looks easy, it doesn't mean it is. Copying anime is easy to me (not everything but most stuff. it's alone takes some skills, I saw zillion horrible anime copies), but it's copying, I couldn't draw such things myself. (As for the heads, I don't even wish to be able to draw them. I prefer more realistic simpleness There are exceptions of course.)

Oh the first one in your last update is fancy I dunno what the hell is it but I like it.
    The face. I will say my stuff, obviously, no matter what you tries to say to me I know the best improving is hard and slow. I just say my opinion on this site, hoping I happen to say something useful sometimes. Crits aren't just indicators you aren't good enough, no, they mainly not that. They should contain some advices, maybe pointing at something you might overlook, whatever. Don't ever be offended.

The proportions are a bit odd (brows/nose distance longer than nose/chin) but it doesn't mean it's impossible or not working, I probably would do it differently, but I don't have much problem with it.
    The face shape is cartoony. It's logical, they usually don't have all the values realistic works have and the outline of a normal pretty face is a bit strange, if we use lines, those more pointy faces are closer to the real thing than the outline of the original.
    But if we have more values for the face, we might like to go for a more realistic face shape. Most anime doesn't do that and while I watched zillion anime in the last years, I can stand the more or less triangle faces less and less.
    I wonder if I'm clear... But you don't want to go for realism anyway. Forget it then.
    She looks pretty and royal, by the way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shinin thanx dude i though it was the other way around oops my badno no i wasnt offended mate no chance for that iam reading your crits with a huge smile on my face anxious about what will u respond, seeing your level what u say matters dude lately you ve been more than a person whos says something usefull you ve been company dude to this sb so thanx man keep it up and plz check on my sb once a while i find what u say of most use and i love these type of conversations they boost me up!
    btw yea i progressed that girl and named her heart of spring i ll post it when ithink its ready
    sean:always thirsty for creative stuff

Last edited by dimi; October 30th, 2011 at 03:35 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to dimi For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2