Sketchbook: Lumari's Sketch-aris! Help me learn to draw!

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lumari's Sketch-aris! Help me learn to draw!

Hi all, I made this SB in the hopes of improving like just about everyone else here. I'm starting from the very beginning of learning to draw and paint, so if you gave me some advice I'd be really happy! =]

Edit log:
    29/8/11: Since the start of this SB, I think I'm slowly starting to spend more time on drawing and painting. One of my goals is to get to algenpfleger's level of dedication. I'm a little competitive haha^^;
    9/9/11: Just wanted to change the title a little, as well as the picture
    19/9/11: Stopped updating daily, but will try to update as frequently as possible!

So to start of my sketchbook I have:

- An observational drawing of two rubbers and a pad of stickies
    - Some heads based on Loomis' Ball & Plane method
    MOVED to my second post

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Lumari; September 19th, 2011 at 11:36 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (Originally in first post) So, to start off my sketchbook I have:

- An observational drawing of two rubbers and a pad of stickies
    - Some heads based on Loomis' Ball & Plane method

Name:  4-1-2011.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  96.7 KB

This week I've started learning about perspective. I started off by reading Loomis' Successful Drawing but didn't really understand his explanation of 2-point perspective so instead I searched for other perspective tutorials and found this. I've started learning the material but haven't gotten too far because of uni assignments... I'm hoping I can make my time management more efficient after the mid-semester break so that I can work on my skills more.

Anyways, here's my first two attempts at perspective according to Loomis' instruction. I'm not too sure why my edges don't seem to be turning out parallel...^^; Hopefully I can find that out soon.

Name:  4-8-2011.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  63.6 KB

Last edited by Lumari; September 9th, 2011 at 05:24 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check the verticals in the second cube and u see how off they are. Also do draw the back vertical of the cube it is much better to draw through you get more practice ;p

What do you mean by edges don't turn out parallel?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to fransua For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I think it's especially evident in my first attempt where the two closest edges on the right weren't parallel when I tried to draw them according to the vanishing point. I tried to fix the bottom edge to be more parallel with the top edge but if that line is extended, it doesn't meet the vanishing point.

Thanks for those two tips! Especially the first one, I can instantly see how far off my drawings are now^^;;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Use a 45 degree cone of vision perspective if you want to set a block with 90 degree angles. A Good book for perspective would be Perspective! For comic book artists. This book is in comic format and teaches art techniques just like the ones by Scott McCloud, and this book, IMO, is more in depth in the subject of perspective compared to Loomis's Successful Drawing (since Loomis' book deals with other subjects too), and it explains very well 1PP and 2PP. Although it attempts to explain 3PP, it does not do as great of a job. I recommend mastering lower number perspectives before touching 3PP. Also, don't draw the block directly at the station point, which is the point that forms the exact 90 degree angle in a 45 degree cone of vision. Instead, you should draw it above the station point. The station point is where you are standing and viewing the block.

Last edited by Vay; April 14th, 2011 at 04:26 AM.
    My Sketchbook

Twinkle, twinkle little star
    I don't wonder what you are
    For by spectroscopic ken
    I know that you are hydrogen - Ian D.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Vay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice Vay! I'll have to try it out once I get enough spare time on my hands. As for that book you mentioned, I'll try and get my hands on a copy. I realised I should probably start from lower points of perspective once I started reading up more about it. It sounds like that book is a great way to learn it^^

My Sketchbook - Advice would be very much appreciated! =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, so I got my hands on a copy of Perspective for Comic Book Artists and I've been taking notes and doing the exercises. So here's some 1-point perspective exercises.

Heh, I feel so newb compared to all the other awesome artists and sketchbooks here, but it's good motivation and inspiration to keep practising and learning^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some 60 second gesture drawings I did today as well as an observational drawing from a while ago.

My first time gesture drawing. Hopefully I can reduce those 60 seconds to 30 seconds with practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few 60-sec gesture drawings and a quick 5 minute still life drawing I did today. In the future, I need to focus on the bigger shapes to ensure I get proportions and perspective right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ---Hi, thanks for stopping on my SB. I assume you're working really hard, & I'd say GOOD LUCK on your studying & your 3D artists dream. I'm living in Kings Cross... btw: really sorry about my English... KEEP CREATING & UPLOADING IN HERE..... have a lovely days...

Here is my: S-K-E-T-C-H-B-O-O-K

/.....if there is someone from AUSTRALIA especially from SYDNEY on this site, then leave a msg for me, and I really want to meet with you & to making a friends-of course if you'd agree it...............please

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks^^ I try and fit drawing sessions in between my work from uni.

I'm living in Lewisham - I think that's an hour of public transport to get to King's Cross. Your English seems pretty good to me! No need to apologize =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I made another attempt at the 2-point perspective cube today but I read a lot more and took a lot more notes than I actually drew

Also did a few 60-sec gestural drawings. I think I'm understanding the benefit of gesture drawings a bit better now.

Oh and in class we did a still life of a statue, but that's too big for my scanner >.>;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a long time since I last updated, but now that the semester has ended I'm going to focus more on improving my drawing.

I felt that I wasn't drawing as much as I should have been when I was trying to learn perspective, so instead I've decided to start on Nicolaides' The Natural Way to Draw. I've only just started it and need to get the hang of doing 1/2 blind contour drawings.

For now though, here's a painting that I just finished.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, so I've been trying to do 1/2 hr blind contour drawings and the last drawing of this post is the closest I've come - took me about 25 minutes to do. I think the difference in the time time spent on these really shows!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A wip I was working on today...

Blah, my progress is pathetic! Starting from tomorrow, I'm going to put in more serious effort D<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, after reading some comments about Nicolaides on these forums, I've decided to focus more on Loomis again. In particular, I'm studying Successful Drawing and went back to learning perspective today. I also got a copy of Norling's Perspective Made Easy to help me out.

So for today I did
    - A 20 min blind contour drawing
    - 1-pt perspective drawings
    - Attempts at 2-pt perspective drawings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No post yesterday, but I was working more on that wip. I decided today to scrap what I was doing and repaint it with a hard brush^^;

I did more exercises from Norling's Perspective Made Easy today. After finishing, I found out that Loomis recommends using a straight edge for beginners, rather than drawing freehand. In that case, I need to get a proper ruler instead of the bendy one I've been using since it doesn't stay flat on the paper properly.

I'm going to a friend's house tomorrow but I'm aiming to study Norling more when I get back home.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see that you work hard and practise! It's good that you start from basics and do a lot of technical stuff and studies but remember to also draw what you like, whether it's a silly character or robots or whatever. Never lose the enjoyment of drawing! Also I strongly advice you to buy a decent ruler.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks ter-o! I do draw things I like, in the margins of my notebooks^^;; I think it's more beneficial to me to actually learn some fundamental techniques and things. Then I'll try to apply the things I learn to other stuff.

Anyways, huge update from last time including:

- More perspective stuff
    - Playing around with watercolours (Planning to use them for environmental observation paintings)
    - Random drawing from ImagineFX and imagination
    - A WIP for a friend
    - And a quick painting I did one night

I'll try to update this more often, I'm making a specific time to do it at least once a week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For this week I have:

- Some heads and random doodles
    - A wip portrait
    - A wip perspective drawing
    - A watercolour image I did for a friend

I'm pretty happy with the watercolour picture I did, since it was the first one I've ever done in watercolours. I kinda think that I work too slowly in general^^; But I hope I'll speed up with more experience.

I've also been sick the past couple of days, so I've been taking a bit of a break from drawing. Hopefully I can do more this week.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 865 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hi lumi! you're first up w my promise to rev all assignment posters back at the studgroup. so, here goes:
    first, I do want to say there really isnt that much work here yet. granted, your sb is only a few months old; still, a bit more would be nice. although you seem to be picking up the pace last month. your perspective work has increased dramatically since you started, and you're starting to get structure into the heads too. though I'd advise to just draw the whole structure through, not just the parts you can see. you know, the 'inside' line going through the skull on the side away from us. another thing you want to keep in mind is, the rest of the body is also build from perspective shapes. you tend to just outline those; but try to draw cylinders and stuff here too. even in 60sec contour drawings.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey ashess, thanks for your critique =]

Yeah, I probably could do a little more work. I wrote up a schedule for myself yesterday so hopefully I'll be able to stick to it and try to free up more time from other things that I have to do.

That's a good idea, about using more perspective in my figurative work. For some reason I was only thinking along the lines of environment stuff^^;

Thanks heaps for the review and the advice, it's much appreciated! =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, for this week I have in order:

- Constructed figures from imagination
    - An observational drawing of my mannequin
    - A few heads, most based on Hamm's methods
    - A blind contour drawing from a photo (An exercise from my study group)
    - Another exercise from my study group
    - A wip drawing from photo reference
    - A quick 1hr colour study of one of gregpro's paintovers
    - A quick sketch to test my skills of colour and painting facial planes
    - A manga sketch using Loomis' ball-and-plane method

From this point onward, I'm aiming to make this SB a daily thing (except for those days when I have uni the entire day). I figured out that with the current way I live, I should be able to fit at least 3 hours of drawing on all the other days. I'm also working on doing other things faster so that I can free up more time. I've never been good at doing things fast though, but I'll try my best^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This morning I did some gesture drawings from pixelovely.com and practised constructing several heads. I think I slowly improving at those heads, at least I'm starting to understand them a little better. I need to be able to shake off my morning grogginess more efficiently, because I find it hard to concentrate with it^^;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks nice. But one thing i noticed here is that youre trying to focus on the figure outline. Try to draw a little bit softer and "feel" the bulking of the image, also on how the figure flows. Keep doing it! Youre doing great!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to wasabi89 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the encouragement wasabi89! I tried following your advice today, and I think it definitely helped =]

For today's update I have:

- A photo study inspired by algenpfleger's studies
    - A sphere based off of material from Loomis
    - An exercise on form from my study group
    - Another drawing for my study group
    - Some gesture drawings
    - Several heads, an imagined pose and values in pencil

I definitely need to learn how to control shading in pencil^^; Seems like cross-hatching works best though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found out how to type between images today, so now I'm gonna change the way I update this SB a little. Today I have:

A still life study of a sharpener. It turned out better than I expected, but also took longer than I expected - about one and a half hours. I think it would be more beneficial for me to do these studies in pencil at the moment, so I can learn to draw accurate angles and values and such.
    Name:  001.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  26.3 KB

Some imagined heads and a couple of skull studies from Loomis. Had to slice up the page in photoshop to get a nice rectangular image to upload.
    Name:  002.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  32.9 KB

Gesture drawings
    Name:  003.jpg
Size:  20.3 KB
    Name:  004.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  21.9 KB

And more Loomis studies. Here I'm trying to learn the proportions of an idealised figure. It doesn't seem too hard but I'll see how much I can remember tomorrow.
    Name:  005.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  27.2 KB

Still trying to increase the time I spend drawing. Right now I think I'm doing ok, but I still think I can push myself more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blargghhh... Had a pretty crappy day today. I only had 3 or 4 hours of sleep and on top of that I've had a stomach ache for the entire day. So I didn't end up doing much ._. But, it's still a little something at least.

Anyways... Here's a couple of random doodles
    Name:  001.jpg
Size:  12.4 KB

Gesture drawings. These seem really good to warm up with^^
    Name:  002.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  21.1 KB

And a page with a couple of 5 to 10 minute gesture drawings, Loomis studies and two random heads from imagination.
    Name:  003.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  22.6 KB

Hopefully I'll be okay again tomorrow!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    loomis studies are awesome, I would also highly recommend mixing in a few hours of Bridgman studies as well. Nice progression.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know..there's a lot to learn but that's the cool part ..make sure you check this out

Quote Originally Posted by matt kohr View Post
    If you haven't been to the site yet, you should totally check it out!

www.ctrlpaint.com

Lumari's Sketch-aris! Help me learn to draw!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.