Types of Concept Art?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Types of Concept Art?

I know that concept art is used for the entertainment world like video games, moves, tv, etc. But I was wondering if there are other types of concept art out there? Is it only really used in entertainment? I mean, I'm sure lots of other areas need concept art, right?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Quelquefois View Post
    I know that concept art is used for the entertainment world like video games, moves, tv, etc. But I was wondering if there are other types of concept art out there? Is it only really used in entertainment? I mean, I'm sure lots of other areas need concept art, right?
    everything art and design related needs a concept, from industrial design to packing design, concept just means that it is a preliminary approach to the final product.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chil3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,900 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    For the most part concept art, as we know it today in entertainment, evolved out of Industrial Design (though even as I write this I'm reconsidering my own thoughts as stage/set design could be considered concept art, plus character design, matte painting, storyboarding and planning for animation and film that goes back to the nineteenth century). Still, I think today's "concept art" owes more to industrial design techniques, media and theory.

Either way, yes, there is a huge "industry" of visual art professionals designing everything from cars to shoes to coffee makers. Plus there is a great deal of "visualization" for the aerospace and military industry that actually goes by quite far. Keep in mind virtually everything manufactured has to be designed and visualized first.

Here's a good thread about markers but it touches on Industrial Design and I posted a few examples plus a few good books on techniques/media: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=216422

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 5