how much *should* you charge?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: how much *should* you charge?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

how much *should* you charge?

i wonder if anybody ever goes to these forums... hmmm... who knows. anyway i had a question that i just ran into. i just did my first commission and obviously got paid. but when i was first asked to do it, the payment part was kinda awkward... i didn't want to be too prideful i guess... i didn't want to set a price on my art... i don't know if you know what i mean or not... anyway, does anybody have a good way to "set" prices? do you go by hour or what? anyway... maybe its just me.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When taking jobs, I try to get them as close as it can be to my level. this way I dont get a job that consumes time but can be easily done by another person, hence cheaper. So when giving prices first thing I look is its level. how many alternatives there are. The second is the time it consumes.

but most of the time I get speed based jobs where the deadline is VERY close and they need someone to save them. They of course both pay better and take less time. Price is somewhat set for standard jobs. The employers mostly have a budget, and things work accordingly. But in these special occasions I try to make the most of it. Hope I helped.

and thats all..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just saw this post. I have a similar situation where I am going into a job and am being asked to give a price for my submissions. I have no idea what I should say. I was thinking around 100-150 each. The other thing is I am getting paid a percentage for each sale made off of my work. I don't know what to ask for in terms of percentages either. If someone can help with this that would be great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I remember someone a while back had asked something similar back on the eatpoo forum, and before that sijun repeatedly, and I've always plugged up the Graphic Artists Guilds website and the book they put out called the Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines. I know there's another book out there that someone else suggested in addition to it, but the name escapes me. I hope that's somewhat helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's simple:

Supply and Demand. when you are in high demand you raise your rates, when you are not in demand, you must keep them low.

"If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with supply and demand but also how much you need to make a living.
    I'm at 2000 USD a week right now, freelancing, paying my own dues.

How much do you need to live the life you want to live?

/L

www.fabpics.com

"To achive the impossible you have to attempt the absurd."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dam! What kind of work are you finding in Sweden?:eek:

"If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just signed on as concept artist on a game, working long distance. Then again we are very few and far between in Sweden but so are the productions.

/L

Last edited by Leopoldo; May 19th, 2004 at 12:03 PM.
    www.fabpics.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, book covers, storyboard work of course (good cash) and so on. I know lot of people who can never imagine themselves doing anything but computer games for example.

I like to do it all - opera, theatre design, web sites (designer only), games, books, magazines, films, TV and on and on.

/Leo

www.fabpics.com

www.fabpics.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The supply vs demand is one thing. The budget for the amount of work required is another.

One more thing is that artists shouldn't sell themselves short and spoil the market for the rest.

I'm getting US$55 for a piece of colored illustration for children's publication. Which is an okay price here. But I'd love to push it higher. Its not possible of course due to the fact the work is relatively easy and anyone who can mimic a style can do it.

After I quit my job 2 weeks ago, I recieved offers from the company to continue working on their background drawings for an animation. I was one of the lead concept artists with them and have quite a good knowledge of the stuff they needed from me. But they refused to budge on the US$40 a piece and I just told them to screw themselves.

Most magazine illustrations here go from US$55 ro US$180 a piece. Depending on complexity, time required/materials required and budget of the project.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im currently a student in 3D at Full Sail. but i do a lot of concept art on the side. what is a good way to get into making some spare cash by doing what i already enjoy? i dont currently have a website and am broke so cannot get one. i know there are some free sites but most of them require you to write your own html coding which i also cannot do. any suggestions on sites, or types of jobs i should try to get the hang of it first?

We the unwilling, Led by the unknowing, Are doing the impossible, For the ungrateful. We have done so much, For so long, With so little, We are now qualified to do ANYTHING with NOTHING!

Jabajawoolu's Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.