Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Thanks
    great sb!! you have a great sense of color with skin, you paint it wonderfully!! keep doing those enviro studies and figure drawings, and of course try to understand the form from an anatomical point of view.

you could improve the depth in your environments, what is further away from the camera fades away, no only in value but also in definition, objects farther away will be less defined and so they will have less detail and objects closer to camera will be more defined and detailed. Try using more defined and crisp edges to what is closer to camera , in the study of the desert, the cactus closer shood have the edges clearly defined and more crisp in comparison to one further away. try controlling your lines and edges it will add depth to your environment studies just my two cents lovely work i will keep on eye on your sketchbook ^^

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to -D_art- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    uhhh crap. where have all you wonderful nice people come from? *guilt from not posting*
    Today's post is just an excuse to thank everyone, really. DX; I've got a regular ol' eye study and some illustrationy things I was doing by request at gaiaonline to relax. Plus an update on the skeleton, though I haven't done much since the last post.
    I've won nanowrimo so I'll have more time to draw, but still need to write some more, edit a ton and *cough* play Skyward Sword soo bear with me please. >>"

Thanks to ismo and the grayslayer for the crit to do enviros from life.. I've been carrying a sb around with me and will try to get some stuff posted soon!

Mylls and d - art, you're right, I do need to work on a sense of depth. .__." I'll watch out for that, thank you!

Sycra - thanks! Hands and feet are so much fun~ XD

Ryan - first all of, thank you so much for the awesome crit and redlines. I'll admit I have been going for quantity over quality lately, especially with environments, just trying to explore a lot of different effects. But if you're not doing you're best you're not learning, right? >__>" Time to step back. Thank you again!

Hai - never too late, thank you! Comics are one of the few things I know I absolutely want to get into, so any feedback on that end is great. I'm don't know if I think that short is worth putting more time into to fix up, especially when I have other ideas I want to work on, but we'll see..

vices - hair.. is absolutely horrid. Experiment experiment experiment. I don't have anything to show you now, but I'll try to grab smaller steps next time I'm doing a portrait, no problem.

rokusho - XD that's my family motto.

And to everyone who I haven't addressed specifically as I'm trying to keep this somewhat concise, thank you!
    Last edited by JesseM; November 22nd, 2011 at 01:09 AM.
    My sketchbook - come critique me!
    jesse martel@tumblr

Thanks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Malakuko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    oh boy, so much improvement, so much win!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mala - way to guilt me, man! *has been playing too much Skyward Sword*

Ara - I'll be happy if I've been improving.. it seems like one endless race, and sometimes I feel like I'm devolving. But regardless of what it is the only thing I'm interested in is moving forward. :) Thanks for the comment!

so todayyy..
    Set of digital gestures (<5min each), another sketch-request for fun, a WIP of a portrait that I think I'm gonna scrap cuz I kinda borrowed too much from my ref and I'm regretting the red/green color scheme, annnd the first landscape-from-life. I actually liked the sketch, but then I killed it with some quick watercolors. >__>" slow and steady, Jesse.. anyway, I do think the stuff from life is looking better, so expect more soon!
    Last edited by JesseM; November 25th, 2011 at 05:17 PM.
    jesse martel@tumblr

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Interesting stuff, good postures.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lennon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    lennon - thanks man!

Got an illustrative thing I was toying around with for the IOW and some skull studies. I really need to get better at skulls.. plus they're fun, plus they're good rendering/form practice! I just wish I had a real one to draw from. Using a mix of photos and (gasp) sketch-up models for now.
    Last edited by JesseM; November 27th, 2011 at 07:05 PM.
    jesse martel@tumblr

Thanks
    a quick portrait from imagination - I want to start doing more stuff from my head, to build my confidence and see what skills I actually need to work on. I've felt kind of blind and dependent on ref lately.
    Also, a WIP for a skull study~ these are so much fun.
    Annnd some landscapes from life. I was kinda focusing more on composition/line quality than.. like, the vegetation. What am I supposed to be focusing on? Getting the most realistic picture possible to add to my mental library?
    jesse martel@tumblr

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 917 Posts
    Very nice update shows application of what you have been learning
    keep it up I'm not the best at crits but all I can say is keep up the persistence =)
    have a good one
    -Jamie

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamie Romoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    freaking awesome values on that skull

on landscapes i use them pretty much to practise colors and spacial notions. but its because i havent gotten into envoment stuff yet. depends on where you want to go. if you wish to do more enviroments them do them longer and more detail!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your improvements with proportion are realllly helping your paintings. The accuracy of your drawing is starting to catch up with your ability with color and overall painting skill. Great stuff! Keep it up!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to lemming-clone- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    jamie--thanks, you too!
    aragah--nice username. XD And thanks, especially for the input on landscapes! I think I'll use them as composition/tech skill practice, then.
    lemming--:"D good to hear, thank you!

Sorry for the lack of posts! I've been studying perspective, mostly, which has been pretty darn helpful and cool (I never knew I never knew so much!) buuut doesn't make for very exciting sb updates.

To flesh out this post, I've also added a stylized thing I did for a friend and a WIP for a portrait idea. I don't know what's going on with the butterflies, though. XD" I might just scrap it and actually plan a story ahead of time next time.
    Last edited by JesseM; December 13th, 2011 at 03:54 AM.
    jesse martel@tumblr

Thanks
    I just realized how close a scholarship deadline is, soo these next two weeks I'll be rushing to create a portfolio. x__X"
    Bunch of girls for you today -- I'm starting with the easy stuff and after shooting some ref this Mon/Tues, will start posting the more interesting, occasionally even multi-figure work.
    Support & crits as I work on these would be much appreciated!

*the first one here was a warmup.. the second two are WIPs for portfolio pieces
    jesse martel@tumblr

Thanks
    Your colors and tones are looking good, but you should try and push how far you go with shapes further. Best way to tackle that would probably just be to do studies trying to copy the shapes pefect.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Malakuko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You have some pretty great stuff! I love how well your colors and tones blends so well! That is one of my biggest issues.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to shawnywithay For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast