Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thank you all so much for the feedback. ;__; It's really encouraging. Even if I don't deserve the praise.

@Pigeon; haha, yeah! I love Disgea, but haven't played in years. The item world is a little too.. time-consuming. XD
    @Jorvaa;Thanks! And I agree - especially since I've been in a few situations lately where I've needed a portfolio and have only had a collection of half-finished scribbles. XD; I'm trying to do some more finished stuff.
    @Sean; Thank you! I know, I need to do more environments. ;-; I went and painted one right after reading that. Maybe I should try EOW to make myself practice...
    @Iris; thank you!
    @Ninja; nice name, and thanks. XD

Some actual sketchpages for my cA sketchbook (gasp), an environment based off a photo as per Sean's encouragement (thank you!), annnd a fixed-up version of an older painting some of you may recognize. I'm actually getting a spotlight page in my school's yearbook this year, and I wanted to touch up this piece before a bit for that. Still hate the hair, but eh, gotta move on. x__x"

EDIT: yess, page three!
    My sketchbook - come critique me!
    jesse martel@tumblr

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    More environments! I'm actually starting to enjoy these.. though they take so long to get this overall unimpressive result. XD;

Alsooo, the Final Finished Version of the earlier portrait/"Iced Urban..." plus steps so you can see my totally inefficient work process and unnecessary detail shots. Yayyy!
    jesse martel@tumblr

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JesseM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Cool stuff! You have a nice combination of soft edges and hard textures. Your recent stuff also has a lot more depth to them. New version of the sitting naked girl is awesome. Nice variation with the cold and warm colors. Keep 'em coming!
    My sketchbook here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...75944&page=999
    (some nudity may occur)

Thanks
    @Myllys; thank you! Warms vs cools is one of my favorite things to focus on~ 8"D
    will do!

Small post today - 'nother environment from a photo ref, and, in the spirit of Halloween, a quick contortionist sketch. I've always thought drawing contortionists would be such a great way to practice anatomy. They're fun~
    Last edited by JesseM; October 27th, 2011 at 05:45 PM.
    jesse martel@tumblr

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 917 Posts
    nice studies like the edges your starting to go for in your longer paintings.
    Keep having fun learning
    -Jamie

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamie Romoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    great studies!

keep it up!
    -Twitter-Facebook
    JohnSilvaArt@gmail.com
    Portfolio
    ca sketchbook

12. The Following User Says Thank You to John Silva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Omert - ah, edges. XD; yeah, I'm trying.
    @Silva - thank you! I will. ^^

'Nother small post - an anime girl by request/for fun, and another quick contortionist. The contortionist was really fun to draw, but it was so hard to get her leg to look like a leg. @__@ it's a good challenge.
    jesse martel@tumblr

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hey jesse, thanks a lot for checking out my sb your skin tones and human structure still baffles me, some of the stuff you have looks like you just hit it once and the mark was so good that you didnt need to hit it again. if i tried that id have do detail it out for like 2 hours then mess it up after to make it look gestural.

However i would like to see some more environments from you, i can see that they dont quite have the charm that your characters flurish with. so keep at it and im sure your more than capable of it!!
    Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Sanders For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like this sketchbook a lot! Great work.

I envy how much you seem to understand skintones and color in general -- how do you approach picking colors for your studies?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph_Silverman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

20. The Following User Says Thank You to gorec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey I love the colour choices and brushwork on the nude portrait (your avatar) really nice work!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to monstertree For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi JesseM, thank you for visiting my sb i've been swamped with college and wanted to leave a decent comment, please excuse the delay. That portrait of the naked girl is excellent and the way you used the light to texture the hair on her arms and legs is phenomenal. your enviroment sketches are great, im still learning but imo the second thumb in the 1st enviroment was the strongest, I think you should be wary of softening your edges too much. "iced urban" isn't my cup of tea but I dont mind telling you it's executed very well. The saturation is awesome in the last env. MOAR CONTORTIONIST!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to SGoodson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good progression, the girl's face you have as your profile pic is really great. I'd be careful about just using white for highlights though. Light has color and it's very rarely white, usually even the lightest highlight has some yellow in it.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Ccs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So much support. ;__; Huge thanks to everyone who's dropped a comment. I'm sure you all understand how encouraging it is.
    ..that said, I have some kind-of bad news. XD; November is National Novel Writing Month, and I've set a goal of 3k words/about 18 pages in standard publishing formatting a day. Good news is I'm actually doing it, but it takes up pretty much all of my art time. So posts will be a little slow for the next three weeks.

@dogfaced; thank you! Yeah, I need to keep working on my environments. @-@" ...I think it's really interesting that you used the word "charm." It's helped to shift my POV of environments into something greater.. thanks for the inspiration!
    @Suprore; thanks! Well, for studies, especially those with a focus on color, the goal is to just get the color as close as possible to your ref, to increase your awareness of its nuances. It's just kind of a guess-and-check--grab a color, see if the hue, saturation or value are off and adjust accordingly. For planning colors in compositions/etc, which I think may have been your question, I really shouldn't be talking cuz I always forget to plan ahead.. but it's all about color harmonies and contrasts. The Gnomon Workshop had a really good DVD on it I watched once. Best of luck!
    @gorec; XD liar.
    @goodson;contortionist are so much fun, man. @__@ you should try drawing some. And thanks for the advice! yeah.. I think I'm exaggerating too much with my environments, especially on blurry edges. >>" I did it again today too...
    @Ccs; touché. I was being lazy. Thanks!

Anyway, for today--two more environmental. I'm starting to switch up my approach. I think the texture/rendering? improved, but the form got lost. Hn.
    Also, the early early stages of a skeleton study. I wish I had actual bones to draw from, but alas, skeletons are so expensive...
    Last edited by JesseM; November 5th, 2011 at 01:58 AM.
    jesse martel@tumblr

28. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    really love seeing how confidently you put your lines down and try out new ideas/methods of working...really inspiring!

maybe when you've finished writing, you could illustrate some characters from your novel (or even a book cover illustration?)

looking forward to more art soon!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to strybjorn For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast