Sketchbook: Jesse learns to... - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Jesse learns to...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all so much for the feedback. ;__; It's really encouraging. Even if I don't deserve the praise.

@Pigeon; haha, yeah! I love Disgea, but haven't played in years. The item world is a little too.. time-consuming. XD
    @Jorvaa;Thanks! And I agree - especially since I've been in a few situations lately where I've needed a portfolio and have only had a collection of half-finished scribbles. XD; I'm trying to do some more finished stuff.
    @Sean; Thank you! I know, I need to do more environments. ;-; I went and painted one right after reading that. Maybe I should try EOW to make myself practice...
    @Iris; thank you!
    @Ninja; nice name, and thanks. XD

Some actual sketchpages for my cA sketchbook (gasp), an environment based off a photo as per Sean's encouragement (thank you!), annnd a fixed-up version of an older painting some of you may recognize. I'm actually getting a spotlight page in my school's yearbook this year, and I wanted to touch up this piece before a bit for that. Still hate the hair, but eh, gotta move on. x__x"

EDIT: yess, page three!

Attached Images Attached Images      
    My sketchbook - come critique me!
    jesse martel@tumblr
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More environments! I'm actually starting to enjoy these.. though they take so long to get this overall unimpressive result. XD;

Alsooo, the Final Finished Version of the earlier portrait/"Iced Urban..." plus steps so you can see my totally inefficient work process and unnecessary detail shots. Yayyy!

jesse martel@tumblr

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JesseM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff! You have a nice combination of soft edges and hard textures. Your recent stuff also has a lot more depth to them. New version of the sitting naked girl is awesome. Nice variation with the cold and warm colors. Keep 'em coming!

My sketchbook here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...75944&page=999
    (some nudity may occur)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Myllys; thank you! Warms vs cools is one of my favorite things to focus on~ 8"D
    will do!

Small post today - 'nother environment from a photo ref, and, in the spirit of Halloween, a quick contortionist sketch. I've always thought drawing contortionists would be such a great way to practice anatomy. They're fun~

Last edited by JesseM; October 27th, 2011 at 05:45 PM.
    jesse martel@tumblr

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 918 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice studies like the edges your starting to go for in your longer paintings.
    Keep having fun learning
    -Jamie

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamie Romoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great studies!

keep it up!

-Twitter-Facebook
    JohnSilvaArt@gmail.com
    Portfolio
    ca sketchbook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to John Silva For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Omert - ah, edges. XD; yeah, I'm trying.
    @Silva - thank you! I will. ^^

'Nother small post - an anime girl by request/for fun, and another quick contortionist. The contortionist was really fun to draw, but it was so hard to get her leg to look like a leg. @__@ it's a good challenge.

jesse martel@tumblr

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey jesse, thanks a lot for checking out my sb your skin tones and human structure still baffles me, some of the stuff you have looks like you just hit it once and the mark was so good that you didnt need to hit it again. if i tried that id have do detail it out for like 2 hours then mess it up after to make it look gestural.

However i would like to see some more environments from you, i can see that they dont quite have the charm that your characters flurish with. so keep at it and im sure your more than capable of it!!

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Sanders For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like this sketchbook a lot! Great work.

I envy how much you seem to understand skintones and color in general -- how do you approach picking colors for your studies?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph_Silverman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

19. The Following User Says Thank You to gorec For This Useful Post:

monstertree is offline They look so good that's why I keep 'em in the front Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey I love the colour choices and brushwork on the nude portrait (your avatar) really nice work!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to monstertree For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi JesseM, thank you for visiting my sb i've been swamped with college and wanted to leave a decent comment, please excuse the delay. That portrait of the naked girl is excellent and the way you used the light to texture the hair on her arms and legs is phenomenal. your enviroment sketches are great, im still learning but imo the second thumb in the 1st enviroment was the strongest, I think you should be wary of softening your edges too much. "iced urban" isn't my cup of tea but I dont mind telling you it's executed very well. The saturation is awesome in the last env. MOAR CONTORTIONIST!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to SGoodson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good progression, the girl's face you have as your profile pic is really great. I'd be careful about just using white for highlights though. Light has color and it's very rarely white, usually even the lightest highlight has some yellow in it.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Ccs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So much support. ;__; Huge thanks to everyone who's dropped a comment. I'm sure you all understand how encouraging it is.
    ..that said, I have some kind-of bad news. XD; November is National Novel Writing Month, and I've set a goal of 3k words/about 18 pages in standard publishing formatting a day. Good news is I'm actually doing it, but it takes up pretty much all of my art time. So posts will be a little slow for the next three weeks.

@dogfaced; thank you! Yeah, I need to keep working on my environments. @-@" ...I think it's really interesting that you used the word "charm." It's helped to shift my POV of environments into something greater.. thanks for the inspiration!
    @Suprore; thanks! Well, for studies, especially those with a focus on color, the goal is to just get the color as close as possible to your ref, to increase your awareness of its nuances. It's just kind of a guess-and-check--grab a color, see if the hue, saturation or value are off and adjust accordingly. For planning colors in compositions/etc, which I think may have been your question, I really shouldn't be talking cuz I always forget to plan ahead.. but it's all about color harmonies and contrasts. The Gnomon Workshop had a really good DVD on it I watched once. Best of luck!
    @gorec; XD liar.
    @goodson;contortionist are so much fun, man. @__@ you should try drawing some. And thanks for the advice! yeah.. I think I'm exaggerating too much with my environments, especially on blurry edges. >>" I did it again today too...
    @Ccs; touché. I was being lazy. Thanks!

Anyway, for today--two more environmental. I'm starting to switch up my approach. I think the texture/rendering? improved, but the form got lost. Hn.
    Also, the early early stages of a skeleton study. I wish I had actual bones to draw from, but alas, skeletons are so expensive...

Last edited by JesseM; November 5th, 2011 at 12:58 AM.
    jesse martel@tumblr

27. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really love seeing how confidently you put your lines down and try out new ideas/methods of working...really inspiring!

maybe when you've finished writing, you could illustrate some characters from your novel (or even a book cover illustration?)

looking forward to more art soon!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to strybjorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

nice stuff dude! big fan of Bridgeman here also! I love the sculptural quality your figures has and the way you capture each of your figures' facial expression, very lively.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to neacser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @bjorn; Thank you - and I actually started a character portrait! but..It's too crappy to post atm. XD;
    @neacser; Bridgman is the best, man. Thanks for the comment!

More enviros today - the theme seems to be "cold?" XD; I guess winter's unconsciously affecting my imagination...

Also, a rushed, two-hour Bargue start. I'm gonna start over... my drawing skill is so lame... ;__;

jesse martel@tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello JesseM, thanks for the encouragement!
    Your portraits are very strong!

As for the environments, i barely have any experience at all at doing these..
    perhaps a suggestion is to push your landscapes to tight finish because its seems you are doing speedpaintings alot ,
    wich is like simplefying subjects you allready know really well in a short timeframe. you can probably improve alot simply by spending more time on them.

Looking foreward to see you progress.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Lumens For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lumens--thank you! Yeah, I was sort of reaching that conclusion with environments myself. I'll try to do longer ones.. @__@"

Quick post this morning--some gestures I did with a focus on movement/character in which I feel they were somewhat successful, another Bargue about 3 hours in his nose is absolutely killing me and a WIP enviro still with the theme of cold.

Thanks for looking!

jesse martel@tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumens View Post
    Hello JesseM, thanks for the encouragement!
    Your portraits are very strong!

As for the environments, i barely have any experience at all at doing these..
    perhaps a suggestion is to push your landscapes to tight finish because its seems you are doing speedpaintings alot ,
    wich is like simplefying subjects you allready know really well in a short timeframe. you can probably improve alot simply by spending more time on them.
    True. I'd also focus more on working from life and doing master studies instead of copying photos. You won't really learn much about design, composition or brushwork by doing that.

Btw, that figure in #61 is very nice.

Sketchbook

"You might be disappointed if you fail, but you will be doomed if you don't try"

37. The Following User Says Thank You to ismo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the lady study, really well executed. I'd agree with ismo above - there's no substitute for working from life. Good skills though, nonetheless.

~Slayer

39. The Following User Says Thank You to thegrayslayer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jesse!

Cool new studies. I agree with your thoughts on the environments, the depth gets a bit lost. The texture makes it look like the ground plane is vertical, instead of going back in space, because the details are equal. As for the skeleton study, nice work. One flaw though, now the spine is attached to the front of rib cage and pelvis instead of back. Awesome snowy mountains!

Keep it up!

My sketchbook here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...75944&page=999
    (some nudity may occur)

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Myllys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your figure drawings are looking great. I love the style you're putting in them, especially the hands and feet.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Sycra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    jesse, you need to slow down a lot, and think more before you draw. most of your work of late seems to have not been very much thought through, you seem like you kinda just went for it. quality over quantity. if you want quantity, spend more time!

i'm doing skeletons for anatomy today, saw your skeleton so i decided to paintover!
    hope you enjoy- i was teaching myself jsut as much as i'm teaching you ^_^

[note: ulna is big at the elbow and small when it hits the pinky side of the carpal mass. whilst the radius is small at the elbow and big at the carpal mass]

with all that said, your doing great! don't stop! alsoo with these enviros, you should stick with more simpler brushes rather than these textury ones, your overcomplicating things!
    keep it up jesse!

45. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, so I realize I'm very late here, but I just wanted to say I really enjoyed your comic on the last page.

The rhythm is very good, and I find the timing is excellent. I think the spots you've chosen to have text without illustration are perfect.

Page 2 could be better. I think I understand what you we're trying to do with the text going down and then up like that, but I don't really think it works. Especially since "Just wave your arm" is so close, I instantly read that after "I love how". I'm a little confused by page 4, but not so much that it really throws me off. I would've loved to see the artwork tightened up more, because even though I can appreciate the looseness, some panels are so loose my eyes just skip them, and then what's the point? I realize it's a sketch, I'm just saying you should "finish" it, because I think it could be a really strong piece of art.

I like how it slowly introduces you to the character, then the second to last page suddenly explodes (I guess that's not a very apt word for the calm and introverted feel of it) and powerfully delivers its message, then the last page nicely takes it all back to the character, containing the 'explosion' so that the reader's mind isn't hurled off uncontrollably (and finishes on a humorous note, even).

Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare
    I think he'll be to Rome
    As is the osprey to the fish, who takes it
    By sovereignty of nature.
    SSG
    Anthis Dizon Angel Intheuk Zou Crane Hai

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Hai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW I love your studies.
    =D wanna see more!

49. The Following User Says Thank You to LadyAtuna For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are actually pretty damn brilliant (the contortionists) sp? But anyway...

Slow down some and do some gestural / skeletal studies to understand the lines that you are putting down. Bridgeman would also do you well.

I'll be watching

(Subscribed)

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

51. The Following User Says Thank You to Mat Kaminski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice stuff.. could you show a few process pics for your hair??

53. The Following User Says Thank You to vices For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your studies a lot, and i realize how hard is to know theres a lot of things to learn and you wanna know them all right now, but enjoy then process ^^... Try and practice lots of gesture and learn how the skeleton works and muscles work, youll understand faster with this knowledge keep learning, never stop, never surrender XD

Feel free to stop by My Sketchbook (harsh criticism extremely needed )

or

My Portfolio

55. The Following User Says Thank You to rokushoxxx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, nice stuff can't wait to see some more

57. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_Ebox For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 11