CHoW#239 :: War Criminal - Page 6

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wip

Last update for today. Finish up tomorrow.

I wanted to make him uglier and more distinctive in the face while conveying a look of exhaustion and fatigue from being injured and on the run.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To remove all possible confusion, make "white background" part of the brief. Could be for a specific week/theme or whatever, but it will make the focus of the brief clear.

This way we have try to come up with a character design not as a complete image, but as a way to make the design clear to a team of people that have to work with the character. A team of people that for example will use that image as a reference to model, animate, descern features from etc. This means that most of the character has to be clearly seen, color schemes must be clearly defined etc. All important aspects have to be able to be descerned from looking at that image. Taking it further would also be to provide ortographics views. Something that was done in previous chows, but with a smaller number of participants, because it also takes more time/work.

A specific mood illustration featuring a specific character might show the character and tell a lot of story, but almost always the purpose of the image is not to convey the features, looks and character of a character, but to tell a whole story. To paint the whole picture if you will.
    And due to dramatic posing, lighting etc, the character would most of the time not be optimally viewed. In this case, even if the image is a beautiful piece of art, it might not necessarily qualify as "character design". But since we're all suckers for a great pic that looks great or evokes emotion, these also get a lot of votes, even if theyre not really a character design piece. But if we choose to focus purely on character design, we in Chow should perhaps try to adhere to that focus more.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Supervlieg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Artfix View Post
    Well I hope that CHOW can accommodate us all. Remember, some of us don't like visual development(concepting without illustrating), but we want to participate here too .
    I have no doubt it can (and will in the future) accommodate a lot of people but if you (or anyone else) are not interested in visual development you could ask yourself the question if this is the place to be if you actually want to learn something or get better at character design.

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm with Supervlieg on this one, right on the money mate, good points

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some great entries so far, Mateja,Pixeltuner, UCT, Kiwee, Slence, LéJean, Dranyer...
    And thanks for the critics guys !

Still working...
    CHoW#239 :: War Criminal

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark Tarrisse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Mark Tarrisse - this is the evil Col. Samuel Trautman

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Venger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @pixeltuner
    his shirt looks stretched only on the side with buttons. Add some deformation on the left (his left-our right) to show his shirt is stretching around his paunch. A look I know only too well ;(
    @themonet
    his smile is very flat instead of curving around his face. And his right eyebrow looks too high/unsymmetrical

My two cents as far as the topic- now and again a specific brief and non-illustration piece are a nice change of pace. They are definitely more difficult than open-ended topics like the paladin, but provide a good challenge and force me to work harder which is why I'm here, after all. Doing a plain white background every week would get dull, but so would giantly open themes. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

For next week, I would be all for a happy go-lucky character, after all this grit.

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the
    mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all
    science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who
    can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe,
    is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
    -Einstein

www.wolvescomic.com

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kafka Dreams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pixeltuner: Love yours. Your colouring is amazing, but his shoulders look a bit narrow. Just a small crit.

Themonet: I see the colouring a bit flat. Use more palettes, it will work cause your drawing is ok. Oh! And i LOVE your Hiccup's avatar, I'm just in love with him, so cute

My superb gallery in DA! -> click here
    My skechtbook full of win! ->clicky clicky

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thélema For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Supervlieg View Post
    To remove all possible confusion, make "white background" part of the brief. Could be for a specific week/theme or whatever, but it will make the focus of the brief clear.

This way we have try to come up with a character design not as a complete image, but as a way to make the design clear to a team of people that have to work with the character. A team of people that for example will use that image as a reference to model, animate, descern features from etc. This means that most of the character has to be clearly seen, color schemes must be clearly defined etc. All important aspects have to be able to be descerned from looking at that image. Taking it further would also be to provide ortographics views. Something that was done in previous chows, but with a smaller number of participants, because it also takes more time/work.

A specific mood illustration featuring a specific character might show the character and tell a lot of story, but almost always the purpose of the image is not to convey the features, looks and character of a character, but to tell a whole story. To paint the whole picture if you will.
    And due to dramatic posing, lighting etc, the character would most of the time not be optimally viewed. In this case, even if the image is a beautiful piece of art, it might not necessarily qualify as "character design". But since we're all suckers for a great pic that looks great or evokes emotion, these also get a lot of votes, even if theyre not really a character design piece. But if we choose to focus purely on character design, we in Chow should perhaps try to adhere to that focus more.
    That is why i mentioned , at very beginning, are we doing "character sheet" (meaning are we designing game type character that can be used in later production). But i think there is missing point here. Elixy and Paraskoira did this because in previous entries some people "lost them self's" in doing illustration, scene that tell some kind of the story, and not doing character design as supposed to(because this is chow). By "some people" i mean beginners. And this isn't bad thing, but i felt it needed to be told(by mods) so they can finish this task to the the end, and get full potential of each artist, by focusing their attention just on character.

@ Mark, great, looking forward to see how it will look in final thread
    @ Elixy, weeeeeeell... i kinda like it dark and gritty, my kinda style, so it's fine by me whatever you put as topic i'll make it dark somehow. At least i will try

M

Last edited by meth; March 31st, 2011 at 08:58 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to meth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mark Tarisse
    Instead of the gap in the teeth, I DEMAND you give him a bronze or gold tooth crown. Before today's ceramic teeth crowns they used bronze and gold. My grandpa (Russian) has a mouth full of bronze teeth, and I think it looks badass.

update

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Pavel Sokov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, a lot of good stuff here... I'm a little tired so i'll continue mine tomorrow.

Mark Tarisse : totally love the position of the girl, of course the face of your criminal as well....

Pavel Sokov: It's a bit odd but i kinda like his belly, dunno why, kinda sexy ahem

MatejaPetkovic : I can't wait to see yours finished

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiwee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The belly is odd? Oh noo.
    Is it too fat compared to the rest of the body? Should I just ditch the muslces and make him a real person like Mark Tarisse has?

Kiwee, your arms are too long!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mhh, no i think i didn't use the right word, my apologies.
    Your belly is damn sexy. Don't change it !!
    shht shht i said don't.
    You're right about the arms, will see tomorrow, thanks for the feedback

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wasp

The idea of an illustration of the week sounds cool! I'm guessing it would be very challenging since not only would you create a character but it's environment and some sort of action going on as well. And to do it in just one week, damn!

Well I want to try to enter this chow (it looks fun), so I made this guy. Just a wip of course.
    He's south american, (from the caribbean shores of south america to be more precise...which would explain the flip-flops hehe) I realize he doesn't look very war-captain-like, (maybe this goes against the rules?) I wanted to make him different from a soldier
    hopefully at the end what he's holding will actually look like a gun in proper perspective Cx

Name:  02_3.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  46.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pixeltuner His forearms look too long and his shoulders too narrow. Also, his attire gives me the impression that he is a low-level mobster instead of a war criminal. Though I do like his stance and expression. Both work well in conveying his villainous disposition.

jrbarker All I have to say is that his right foot is a bit off. His body is going to his forwards, but that one foot is twisted to his right. I'd suggest turning it to make his position more feasible.

Pavel Sokov Your man's face reminds me of Handsome Squidward http://images.wikia.com/spongebob/im..._Squidward.jpg ._. And, the fold-shadow on his right leg causes it to look more bowed than it should be. But I am assuming that you will go over that when you render the legs. That's pretty much all I can comment on for the most part. It looks great! Though I do agree with Kiwee. That's one sexy torso goin on there.

Kiwee Love his stance and expression! To me he seems like the flip-side of the coin. The war criminal who does what he does because he believes he is doing right, but has been labeled villainous by a more powerful and influential opposition. Lol I am probably reading too much into this. U^-^

Voodoo_Mama Not quite sure how he's a war criminal, but hot DAMN is he sexy! Maybe post a bit more of a bio?

Elixy Is there a separate thread for your question? Lol, I don't venture out of the week's topic very often. U^-^
    But, anyways, I liked how this week's topic was restricted to male characters. It definitely will force me outside of my comfort zone when I finally get time to sit down and draw it. Perhaps in next week's topic do something similar? But instead of gender-specific do something age-specific? (I have noticed a lot of young adults being drawn. It could be time to break out of that box of young sauce.)

Last edited by Phrix; April 1st, 2011 at 12:16 AM.

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Phrix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phrix
    Hahahah that squidward picture is hilariously similar to mine hahaha!
    You are right about the leg fold, I will fix it!

Voodoo Mama
    Hey. I don't want to come off wrong, but I just wanted to mention that your character looks feminine because of the pose. Which is completely fine, as long as thats what you were going for. But if he is supposed to be brave and manly, then.. well.. yea.

Update:

Should I keep the ceiling fan or not?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MatejaPetkovic and Buffichar - thanks for pointing out the cigarette, would of never noticed.

Update. Finished most of the line work. Ended up remaking his gun and pants. Just need to finish his shirt, tweak some things, and then onto coloring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Learning how to paint AS I GO. HARDCORE.

I am so.totally.intimidated by everyone else's work. I can't believe I've been missing out on this for so long.

@ Pavel: in light of the illustration/character design discussion that's going on, unless the dude's charging into battle wielding the thing, I'd toss it. It's distracting as is. Though, for the sake of mood, you could totally throw a shadow from a ceiling fan or slatted blinds from off panel, you could be all noir and shit.

MY SKETCHBOOK IS AWESOME
    karmiclychee.net

EAT EARTH, DIG DEEP, DRINK WATER, GO TO SLEEP, YOU SHOULD NOT BE WAKING.
    Peepul: Tulokyn :: Nakhon :: Deadlyhazard :: raminafshafari
    :: Mr. Magic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I wasn't really able to participate this week or last week because I had a commission that had to get done, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in on this topic. I think it's great to have a few challenges that are specifically focused on character design to get back to chows roots- but I think it's maybe a little ambiguous to say "don't do illustrations, but a little background, etc. is ok". People have different opinions on whats too much illustration, so it gets confusing on where to draw that line. M's picture is amazing and awesome- but imo it falls on the more illustration side (that's just my opinion, and I hope I don't get flamed for it- that's what I mean about people disagreeing about what's too much illustration.)

I think Supervlieg's suggestion about specifying "white backgrounds only" for this type of challenge is fantastic! That would really push people in focusing only on character design, and remove possible arguments over level of illustration.

Elixy- as far as next week I definitely vote for something fun and light hearted! And maybe a female character since this week was male only? Maybe something like prom queen of the future (have you seen those outfits now? how crazy will they be 200 years from now?) Or j-pop star/ something to do with Japanese street fashion (has there been a challenge like that? I can't remember now) And by the way, thanks for the great work you and Parsakoira have been doing on chow since taking over

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreoilin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wip

I'm blown away by the work here; I'm not worthy at all. This is actually my first "concept art", and it's very exciting. I'm still trying to push myself with my work, and this is an amazing exercise-like someone else said, I can't believe I didn't get in on this earlier! This is all I have for today, had to do some impromptu car shopping...

dreamCMYK
    Freelance design & illustration

Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kiwee - great work so far mate. I think his face has way too much green in it though

33. The Following User Says Thank You to emerging For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guess I'm done.
    A little over the top - James Bond bad guy
    A little witch-doctor, a little mad general...

WIP:
    Name:  Vengerwip.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  76.6 KB

Need to change a few bit to this before final:
    Name:  CHOW239Venger.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  104.1 KB

©when the finals come up

Last edited by Venger; April 2nd, 2011 at 12:59 AM.

35. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Venger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Venger;
    Oh thats fucking good. You like to win eh?
    I love the details that do the story telling!

The African scar patterns, the leopard fur leg thing, the war medals. The pattern on the pants makes them look expensive.

And I love that he has a watch, maybe a gold one would be even better? I would like more hints at his wealth.

The only negative thing I can say is the gun is kind of bringing you down a slight notch. It just doesn't seem to look real or intimidating.

May I reccomend you redraw it and make it an UZI? That gun is popular in Africa.

New update from me:

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Pavel Sokov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's nice to win, sure, never guaranteed though (I've done 11 chows, all to this standard, mostly - lot of close calls)
    Not that its that important, it goes further than CA though - I get some new pictures to spread around.
    I get to put them up on other sites - it helps business

As for the gun - thats the point, I don't want it to be overpowering - he's not the man who pulls the trigger - he's got people to do that for him - he just gives the orders
    I'll go back to it and see if I can solidify it some more though.

Last edited by Venger; April 2nd, 2011 at 01:01 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by f o x View Post
    Elixy- as far as next week I definitely vote for something fun and light hearted! And maybe a female character since this week was male only? Maybe something like prom queen of the future (have you seen those outfits now? how crazy will they be 200 years from now?) Or j-pop star/ something to do with Japanese street fashion (has there been a challenge like that? I can't remember now) And by the way, thanks for the great work you and Parsakoira have been doing on chow since taking over
    Lol, those seem like more fashion oriented then character oriented prompts. Just sayin.
    Also, there are so many awesome prompts here!: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...123394&page=15
    Which I found when I actually scrolled my page up. Lololololol I'm so observant... XP
    But in any case, an all-female CHoW seems a little redundant to me. I mean, the people who have won the most competitions draw (so far as I can see) all females. :/ (Ally Fell and Jessibean) And we did a Steampunk Aphrodite not too long ago.
    Not that I'm pickin on you or anythin f o x. It' just that I wanted to respond to you and touch upon another subject. Just killin two birds with one post is all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i know its sloppy as fuck, but this is where i'm at.
    i hope i get a chance to clean it up a bit... if not this will be my final.
    :/

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDirtSyndicate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, first time doing a CHOW and I'm definitely late on this one hah

I liked the theme so I thought I'd give it a shot and get some more drawing done on my free time.

Well, here's my WIP. I hope to have it done by the deadline.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MatejaPetkovic View Post
    That is why i mentioned , at very beginning, are we doing "character sheet" (meaning are we designing game type character that can be used in later production). But i think there is missing point here. Elixy and Paraskoira did this because in previous entries some people "lost them self's" in doing illustration, scene that tell some kind of the story, and not doing character design as supposed to(because this is chow). By "some people" i mean beginners. And this isn't bad thing, but i felt it needed to be told(by mods) so they can finish this task to the the end, and get full potential of each artist, by focusing their attention just on character.

@ Mark, great, looking forward to see how it will look in final thread
    @ Elixy, weeeeeeell... i kinda like it dark and gritty, my kinda style, so it's fine by me whatever you put as topic i'll make it dark somehow. At least i will try

M
    Yeah, I agree. I think a slight tweaking of the brief can make much clear.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oops, forgot that in order to post one has to paint . I lost my internet connection yesterday, so I couldnt post this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bit of silhouette work for now, might not have time to finish though ...

46. The Following User Says Thank You to neutral. For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.