Art: D&D type Character - crit my concept!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: D&D type Character - crit my concept!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

D&D type Character - crit my concept!

I used the description below to do this portrait. I would really love crits about my concept choices; what could I have done to end up with a stronger character or illustrate the description better? Crits on the technique would also be greatly appreciated.

Rune is of undetermined descent, having several races (mostly human) in his/her background. Rune is a latent magical talent, though s/he has some fear of his/her own magic. S/he has received a little magical training, but his/her instructor died mysteriously. Rune is now a traveler and a wanderer who earns his/her bread by performing odd jobs. Rune would like to be accepted into a school of magic, but s/he does not believe s/he is quite ready yet. Rune has a little weapons training and wields a staff, though s/he has never killed anyone in combat and abhors the idea of taking a life.

Rune has an affinity for wild animals, particuarly hawks. Animals are not startled by his/her presence and the more intelligent ones can engage in a sort of communication. Rune is very polite to people - s/he has a quick smile, laughs easily, and is always willing to help. People recognize the mark of a magic-user tattoed on his/her forehead and they will often approach him/her for healing and aid in return for food or money.

Rune is 19, tall and with a wiry frame. S/he has an exotic quality to his/her face from the many races in his/her background. S/he has long dark hair and is fond of blue. Rune travels on foot with a pack on his/her back, a few pouches tied to his/her belt on the side along with a collection of magical charms, pretty feathers and stones s/he has found along the way. Rune carries an eating knife at his/her side, though it is not used for defense. Metallic items are kept to a minimum because they impair magic. Rune's clothing is typically functional leather with little trimming.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I won't comment on the concept or your interpretation of it - there are lots of other members here who can take care of that.

I think you've done a nice job, and are obviously very dedicated to your work and passionate about what you are trying to do.

As far as formal issues (and I'm guessing a bit as to what I glean you are trying to do with your work, in terms of what it looks like), I think you need a stronger sense of light shining on the character and objects. The lighting is kind of ambiguous. Here I'm not so much talking of color or 2d light, but simply a consistent treatment of the directional light, how it strikes and illuminates the scene, cast shadows, etc. To focus on that, maybe do some black and white work. Also look at real objects with a real light shining on them. When you get that, then you can work more on color. Though a lot of artists stop before they get there and just go with the "colors + black" approach, maybe you'll go farther...

Your understanding of the figure / anatomy is pretty good, relative to the issue I pointed to above, so I would work really hard on 3d light issues right now more than on figure drawing specifically.

Nice work, keep it up,

Chris

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is totaly slick, the arm band, hawk, right hand (her right) and the face/head all look totally awesome to me. Excellent work, and i hope you get more feedback on it.

"Even a stopped clock, gets the right time twice a day."
    >>My Sketchbook<<
    >>My Homepage<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reminds me an awful lot of Eric Lofgren's work. Particularly of this print of his entiltled Rune...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it looks like he got the sam,e idea from that pic but they dont look that much alike....een still,velo, u should have put a noticed saying where u got the idea.. Edit: foolish me i fogot to look at the title ^^ ...wait ...their the same:eek: that aint good ...did u ask permission....rune.....heh buh bye:confused:

Everybody has the right to idiocy, but some people abuse the privilege...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is there a polite way to ask why the first character has camel toe?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all, thanks for the comments!

Both images are actually "audition portraits" of the character, Rune, conceived from the description posted above. Doing a portrait of this character is part of applying for the Illuminator's guild. Thanks for watching out for a fellow artist! I could have posted a link to the Illuminator's guild and explained the purpose of the portrait in the initial post, which might have prevented the misunderstanding, but I thought anyone who recognized the character would know about the Illuminator's guild already.

As for the two pictures... I saw that one when I was well into coloring my image. I'm not sure if it's a good thing to have such a similar idea from the description (after all, he got into the guild) or, if I should be embarresed that my take wasn't more original. That is part of the reason I would love to hear crits on the storytelling aspect of this, when I saw how similar my idea was to his it got me thinking about how I could improve my skills to narrate a description effectively and more originally.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.