EOW 160: In the Hall of the Mountain King :: Tribute to Edvard Grieg (Winner: ~Twig)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: In the hall of the mountain king...

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • PokketMouse

2 3.17%
  • Ragnj

3 4.76%
  • android411

21 33.33%
  • Flame Unquenchable

0 0%
  • Roddy

0 0%
  • Lyno

1 1.59%
  • NoobConcept

0 0%
  • JanJager

26 41.27%
  • Si_Swe

1 1.59%
  • ~Twig

29 46.03%
  • kingkostas

12 19.05%
  • Partisan

2 3.17%
  • El Khan

22 34.92%
  • ThomD

6 9.52%
  • Veshkau

13 20.63%
  • Misplacedhippos

3 4.76%
  • JeiWo

13 20.63%
  • Incinerated

3 4.76%
  • metal militant

0 0%
  • Sean McClain

3 4.76%
  • Velocity Kendall

8 12.70%
  • brambor

0 0%
  • vrt

0 0%
  • tasser

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: EOW 160: In the Hall of the Mountain King :: Tribute to Edvard Grieg (Winner: ~Twig)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

EOW 160: In the Hall of the Mountain King :: Tribute to Edvard Grieg (Winner: ~Twig)

Topic = In the Hall of the Mountain King
    suggested by Rambozo & composed by Edvard Grieg...

Illustate to this music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrIYT-MrVaI

I figure it might be cool to illustrate the settings for this opus written by Edvard Grieg. Now...you can go ahead and stay true to the Peer Gynt vision with it's ogres and the lopping off of fingers if you'd like, or you can go ahead and let inspiration guide your interpretation. What's important is to capture the mood of the music and to represent the title faithfully: a Mountain King's Hall (for that matter, what IS a mountain king?)

All credit due to the composer:

Edvard Grieg
    Peer Gynt, Op. 46
    In the Hall of the Mountain King

Please vote for your personal favourite artwork from this round. Remember that your vote should reflect an equal weight of aesthetic impact, adherance to the brief, and idea development. Help strengthen the activity by leaving criticism for the artist you vote for, and for any other artworks you can manage! It's wholly appreciated.

***Your votes will be public***

Entries:

PokketMouse

Ragnj

The city of Grtenbud or "The Hall of the Mountainking" as it was called by the people was built to protect the giant and rich silver mines of the King. They reached hundreds of miles into the mountain and the city worked as both protection and market for the silver. The importance of the silver mine made the city grow rapidly and soon enough it was the pearl of the empire. All that came to a sudden end when the mines had grown so big it took a lifetime of a man to carry the silver from the mining site to the city. No one wanted to spend their whole life in darkness even if the pay were incredible. Without labour the mines closed down and the city lost its only income and soon faded.

android411

Flame Unquenchable

Roddy

Lyno

NoobConcept

I was going to go for a quieter kind of environment, but when I got to min 1:46 of Edvard Grieg's piece it totally changed my mind: it sounded like a damned forge! With steel clashing on steel, a sort of an industrial sound.

JanJager

Si_Swe

~Twig

kingkostas

Partisan

El Khan

ThomD

Veshkau

Misplacedhippos

JeiWo

Incinerated

metal militant

Sean McClain

Velocity Kendall

inspired by the amazing gypsum caves in mexico

or, other entry:

brambor

vrt

tasser

---

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Vulgar`; March 27th, 2011 at 09:01 AM.
    My site:
    http://thecentersphere.yolasite.com/

DA:
    http://halfshavenbananas.deviantart.com/

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW great week everyone, the entries were fascinating when I listened to the music while observing.

My votes went to android411, JanJager, and El Khan.

android411 - You got my vote, firstly, for a marvelous sense of symmetry and a full scale view of this extravagant hall. There's something evil at work here - tones of the music burst onto the scene. It almost reminds me of a Stanley Kubrick backdrop if he directed Conan the Barbarian, or a different version of the Gladiator or Robin Hood. Enchanting, haunting, and spot on with the music. Overall some details could've been fine tuned, but great work!

JanJager - Wonderful, this is epic in most aspects and weaves a strange yet fascinating story of it's own. I can almost feel the warmth from within, and you have a nice eye for the characters in there.

El Khan - For me that maniacal grin of the king took the cake for me. I loved what you did here, what you changed from the original. Really like the perspective and all the little personal touches you added, like the queen/princess below, the onlooker from above, the crazy fantasy atmosphere that meshes so well with the music.

The runner-ups who I didn't vote for were: Misplacedhippos, Partisan

Misplacedhippos - This made me laugh. The lighthearted atmosphere told a cute story, and it also had cute characters complemented by the chosen color scheme. It seems lighthearted, which is the key here. While listening to the music I could feel something unholy emerging, giving it new meaning.

Partisan - Excellent job, I didn't expect this to take the turn it did and I definitely enjoyed the final product! The statue of the king, unless he's alive and he's that big, which would be even more thought provoking, reminds me of Saruman from the Lord of the Rings movies, only if he was a ringwraith. Good job!

Last edited by Vulgar`; March 27th, 2011 at 09:00 AM.
    My site:
    http://thecentersphere.yolasite.com/

DA:
    http://halfshavenbananas.deviantart.com/

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ...merde -.- I just wrote half of my critics and than accidentally closed the tab ...so again ....

MY VOTES

JanJager I really enjoy the fairy-tale appearance of your picture but I would suggest to work out some areas a little more as for now it seems a little rushed in some areas and the focal points deserve a little extra love, nevertheless very good work.

Twig because I simply enjoy epicness and this picture is soaked up with it. I must agree that I cant bring the music together with this picture but hey ... we all produced different results listening to the same music so I think its legit.

VelocityKendall because he has a very different approach in this case its ok that its not all that much worked out but nevertheless I would propose to refine some areas and adding some details around the focal point which is ATM just created through the lighting.

THE OTHERS

PokketMouse I think the main problem with your picture is the gallery on the right side, I know you tried to create a focal point by adding this but for me its rather distracting I really had to concentrate to get my eyes off it and to watch the rest of the picture, and thereby you loose the potential epicness that is in your picture, my suggestion would be to make this gallery smaller.

Ragnj The story you wrote is really goo but for me your picture simply doesnt sell it. Dont get me wrong you have an awesome style with your pencils but its overall too flat, you need more shadows and darker values, there a simply to much void areas in plain white.

Android411 nothing to crit its just my subjective opinion: I dont feel "Hall of the Mountain King" for me its more a hall for the senate in Rome or something. with all respect.

Flame Unquenchable hmmmm ok hope it dont sounds to harsh, but I think in your case you just have to practice a lot more , try to make studies of landscapes to train your eye for the use of rather natural colours if you try to incorporate vegetation and then I would suggest to try to incorporate some hard edges it seems too blurry overall. keep it up man !

Roddy nice attempt, but dont be scarred to use darker colours because ATM you have too little contrast in your picture.

Lyno Sorry :-/ not much to say here, I simply cant put my finger on it whats bothering me here.

NoobConcept The same as for Flame Unquenchable, practice, practice, practice. and take your time is in general a good advice for starters, I know its hard sometimes, but in the end it will leave you with a much better result, patience is the key to art ^^

SiSwe I really like your idea in general, I think your main problem is perspective- the little houses are spread in too many different directions and the flaming altar in the foreground consists of many differing angles, mainly the stairs are wrong, and then the second problem is that the parts of the picture dont feel connected to each other you have like 3 different layers (fore-, middle, background ) which are way too separated from each other. My advice would simply be to look at pictures with an similar subject and to figure out how they work.

kingkostas man I simply think you can do way better ^^ this is more or less a sketch and I know you can rock hard with your art!

Elkhan works for me, a little less fuzziness would help but overall a good attempt !

ThomD a good one, but you should try to use one style because now the windows really stick out as the are really carefully painted onto a rather loose painting.

Veshkau technically a good picture only thing i would crit is that your sun is way to bright it covers the whole picture and diminishes the contrast too much plus DO YOU USED THE FILTER TO CREATE THE HALO OF THE SUN O..O !? dont do this ^^ ...if I am wrong forget about this ^^

Misplacedhippos lovely could quite good be an illustration for a childrens book, I like it ^^

JeiWo I like your colours and your lighting very much , as you mentioned yourself there are a few issues concerning perspective, but not that much that they are any disturbance, what I dont like are your columns because they seem to be the exact ones that you can see in Moria, in the Lord of the Rings movie.

Incinerated I like your rather frivolous approach ^^ but try to incorporate more colours and more contrast ATM its more or less a sketch not a finished picture .

metal militant the same as for Flame Unquenchable and NoobConcept practice, practice, practice, studies, colour-theory, how to use brushes correctly and stuff like that, very basic things, but keep it up ! you can do this if you want to!

Sean McClain you can do way better my friend this looks rather rushed ^^

brambor and again : practice, practice, practice very basic things like perspective, lighting, colours, but as for the rest: patience and time could do a lot of things to your art ^^

vrt ok the main issue I have with your pic is the foreground there are simply far to little details plus I think you have the same problem like PokketMouse that you have a element that distracts the eye and is too dominant in your picture which is the throne and the King in the foreground. plus the lighting in general needs a little more work

tasser my friend your problem is that your lighting is to equally shed across the picture and your edges are too blurry right now.

so hop I didnt miss anyone

so long
    Seb

Last edited by Partisan; March 26th, 2011 at 10:26 AM.

5. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Partisan For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Partisan: Not too harsh, I understand and want critique on my work. I want to get better so feedback is key for me. It's one of the main reasons I joined up here, I saw so much good work and the structure of the weekly activities is such that I can focus on getting in practice.

I have no pretension about where my art sits compared to some of the wonderful work on this site. I like these activities because I can study the work others are doing, and get better by looking at great pieces. I will try to get some studies on landscapes into the mix. I just started drawing with digital media at the end of last year so learning all the layers, brushes, dodges, etc. is overwhelming sometimes, but I've watched some good tutorials and am trying to keep getting better.

I have issues with the fuzziness in photoshop because I think I'm using layers incorrectly and not merging them down immediately to work on the canvas. Android's advice helped me iron out some of that, though the submission this time around suffered. Experience is a good teacher! Thanks for the crits, I appreciate it and look forward to more to help me push my skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, a lot of people came through on this one ! Nice Ok, comments. I voted for :

Jan : Like I said the first time I really like the inside vs. outside of it, red vs. white. There's activity goin' on yet we don't really understand anything definitive which is good I think : keeps you wondering, great fit for the tune. I would have liked to see this one polished a little further though, as I find it's still a little too rough (what appears to a texture-brush added onto the stone in the mid-ground for instance really distracts the eye).

El Khan : Love the story telling. I seem to pick up on a few spots where the perspective is a bit wonky but globally the piece works for me.

Other comments :

Roddy : reminds me of the drunken skeleton in the Last Unicorn

Twig : Lovin' the colours, very cool. I might've tried to push the orange/yellow of it even further to give the great big block in the middle the feeling of being made from solid gold (not sure if it would work but I really would have liked to see that hehe). The shapes are pretty simple but very effective. A lot of good elements but in the end I don't get the feeling that anything is "happening" here, somehow it feels very still to me which doesn't fit with the tune so hot for my taste. I had to think about it a couple of times, but in the end I passed on a vote.

kingkostas : I wasn't convinced when I saw you were goin' with a 3D model in the WIPs, but I really like how you pulled off the lighting in the final. A bit of warmth, the slight reflections, the wondering about what's goin' on with the lone figure walking towards the crowd. I think it was a good call moving onto this concept in the end

Velocity : First of all the Naica cave is mental, I can certainly see how it would inspire you (never been unfortunately, YET hehe). The piece is quite nice with regards to shapes and colours, which works from an abstract point of view I think. Unfortunately I'm really having a hard time reading a story from it/seeing how it fits with the brief. I think it's a cool exploration though, maybe with a few extra details this could have worked wonders for me.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rambozo For This Useful Post:

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    my votes go for the works of these guys because these ones make me feel that they depict more the concept.

-Velocity Kendall- love the approach and the structure created.Interesting piece.For me the sound fits in the scale of this piece
    -El Khan- I already liked this image.Interesting scene, i think it fits the music.
    -Partisan- Lovely mood in this one and again i think the scale in comparison with the appearance of the human form to add the viewer in the piece, i think it brings the necessary mood for the music. I am also sure u can push it more
    -Twig- A beautiful piece mate , lovely execution and design. An interesting environment with the mystery that the music needs . I like it very much and wanna explore the area
    -JanJager- I like this piece as i said.The contrast is beautiful and i also find the action to fit the music.

Other than that there are entries with great potential but which could be a lot better with some improvement in the fundamentals.

Flame Unquenchable- Hello mate. In overall i would limit the use of blacks for the shadows and whites for the lights(because it makes the result muddy and dull) (shadow and light have colors. U will find the brightest spot in highlight and the darkest shadow in places that not even the reflected light cant go, so these things are very limited, so very limited black blacks and white whites ). It would be good to make some simple forms studies and try to render light and shadow both in greyscale and in color. Also the brushstrokes here dont leave any sharp edges so the whole scene seems blurred. Its not that the idea is bad or something, its just that the image doesnt read very well now. I would say keep up the good work and each time u will be better and better.

unfortunately i dont have the time to write more comments but in overall thats what i want to say. A lot of interesting entries which could be more readable with better execution. But this whole challenges are for training so i am glad seeing so many people working hard and i am glad to taking part next to all of u.

Thnx for the comments mates!!!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,458 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    awesome entries and notes here boys.
    2 apologies first, i got swamped and broadband-broked and didnt add anything to my entry (entries hehe). ill add more polished versions to my sb asap
    Also I didnt realise till it was too late you could vote for more than 1 person
    although I stand by my vote, for Ragnj, whose entry I feel perfectly captures the images the music conjures for me. amazing job!
    the others that really hooked my eye were Partisans, which minded me of the land of the Barberoi in vampire Hunter D, Incinerated's which made me smile, E; Kahn for their excellent character design of the King, JanJager's for like Ragnj's, evoking the music really well, Android's for looking so damn cool, Twig's for being 5*-well designed and painted.
    And King Kostas for the gorgeous lighting.
    MisplacedHippo's is a bit off the brief, but such a beautiful image i vote for it too.
    great work everyone!
    onto the next one!

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,803 Times in 941 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    excellent work guys, my votes goes to El Khan, Twig and Velocity Kendall
    My fav Twig

M

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lot of cool stuff in this round!

My vote however only goes to twig and elkhan whose entries outstand and definetely cover the topic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing work everyone, Lyno i like what you did with this one. Although my vote goes to Twig.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    votes go to JanJager & Elkhan, they made sense while listening to that *something's going on* piece of music.
    the other, whilst beautiful, seemed too calm. some of them even good for meditation lol,
    great idea this round!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to noche For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.