Thanks

TabletMod. Do it yourself Cintiq-any good?

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with a "Do It Yourself Cintiq" from www.tabletmod.com. Basically it's just a Wacom Intuos 4 with an LCD screen placed on top.

Including the Intuos 4 Large, it's about half the price of a Cintiq; that sounds like a good deal. But I don't know if it's comparable to a Cintiq... Does it work well enough? Not to mention, I don't know if the seller is trustworthy.

I hope there's somebody on here who's tried it. Would love to hear some testimonies(...testimonials?).

Just to sum up what the tabletmod is about:

- 15.4in 1440x900 LCD Panel (maybe even superior to the Cintiq? The colour reproduction of a Cintiq doesn't seem that good to me)
    - Doesn't void varrenty of the Intuos4.
    - Acrylic enclosure.
    - You have to assemble the pieces yourself; there's instructional videos on tabletmod.com though, and it doesn't look too bad.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    That looks promising, my only concern is the jitter. I wish I knew someone with some credibility that tried it, or anyone in general. It looks like he knows what he is doing but I don't see any one who actually has it. I would try it but if it did not work it would be 100 bucks in shipping to send it back from the states. If you find someone who has it, or you decide to try it yourself please keep us informed. He did a good job with his site as well and seems very accommodating, and with paypal you are pretty covered. 450 is a lot better then 2000, especially since you dont have to dismantle your intuos.

edit: I just noticed there are a lot of coupons in the information section so shipping would be free to the states. This is tempting.
    ANDREWS WEBSITE I am available for work
    REIGN OF THE GODS strategic fantasy warfare board game

Thanks
    i got one built it and tried to make the jitter as best as possible. when it came down to it id say don't waste the money the jittter is bad a nd frustrating enough. the enclosure breaks and i tried to make it as sturdy as possible. if anything get the screen and the kit minus the enclosure and build one yourself.
    but i took my intous 4 out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by staccato View Post
    i got one built it and tried to make the jitter as best as possible. when it came down to it id say don't waste the money the jittter is bad a nd frustrating enough. the enclosure breaks and i tried to make it as sturdy as possible. if anything get the screen and the kit minus the enclosure and build one yourself.
    Ah, hmm, that doesn't sound too good. Thanks for sharing your experience. A shame about the jitter; it seemed like a good alternative, but I suppose I'll have to just get an Intous 4 for now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by staccato View Post
    Hi Staccato,

I'm sorry to hear you've had problems with your Enclosure. TabletMod hasn't received any reports of enclosures that have spontaneously broken or broken with normal use. Drop an e-mail to admin at tabletmod dot com and we'll see what we can do.

You may also be able to reduce jitter with the following:
    Using the optimal resolution for your LCD screen.
    Experiment with the refresh rates - sometimes higher rates reduce jitter.
    Read the wacom manual for your tablet for additional solutions to interference.
    Increase the "hardness" of your pen tip in the wacom control panel.
    Random clicks are often right-mouse clicks, so in the wacom control panel, move the right click to the second pen button and disable the first pen button. Or use the “press and click” setting to use these buttons
    Set your tablet to “recognition” (double click your tablet icon in the tablet properties) - tip courtesy of 1manstudio.net
    Try using your DIY Cintiq on a different computer.
    Interference can also be caused by a faulty LCD power supply, so get it tested if the
    simple solutions fail.
    Shielding the various PCBs - check forum.bongofish.co.uk.
    Grounding the PCBs - Check forum.bongofish.co.uk

Cheers

Lez
    TabletMod Admin
    Upgrade your tablet to a Cintiq like LCD Tablet. Easy to follow guides and parts here: http://www.tabletmod.com