Art: Salt dough and Super Sculpey?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Salt dough and Super Sculpey?

Hi
    I have just started experimenting with Super Sculpey, and I love the feel of this material plus the fact that you can bake it, add more material and bake it again etc.
    I plan a bigger (about 30 cm.) piece and I guess that would need some armature (wood, tin foil etc.). In order to save on the rather expensive SS, I was thinking if it was possible to make coarse modelling in salt dough, bake it and make finer details in SS.

Do you think this approach will work?

P.S. I am in doubt as to the baking time of the SS. The instruction sheet says 15 min. for each quarter inch material, but my sculpture didn't seem quite finished, but since this is my first time, I have no idea what it should look like when properly baked.
    Some guy on a forum baked it for much longer, until it was mahogany brown, which should make it stronger and less prone to chipping. What do you guys do?

Last edited by Camilla; March 23rd, 2011 at 04:03 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't use salt dough, you're better off just doing as much bulking out in foil first.
    Baking Sculpy until it browns has no advantage, if anything it might make it more brittle in the long run. If it feels hard, it's done. Remember that you can also bake it repeatedly, so you can sculpt, bake, add to it, rebake, etc.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    I wouldn't use salt dough, you're better off just doing as much bulking out in foil first.
    Baking Sculpy until it browns has no advantage, if anything it might make it more brittle in the long run. If it feels hard, it's done. Remember that you can also bake it repeatedly, so you can sculpt, bake, add to it, rebake, etc.
    agreed, make the armature out of whatever you can. I have used coat hanger/newspaper and duct tape before! as long as you cover it, you're good to go. Just remember, make it smaller than you want it to be, because there's nothing worse than getting half done and realizing you have to use an xacto and dikes to cut out part of your armature and build it back up.

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot!
    I think armature and foil can be a bit visually confusing so to speak. It has a lot of reflections and texture and that takes my focus a bit away from the form as such. That is why I was aiming at salt dough - to get a less cluttered impression. Well, I will just have to get used to it I guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilla View Post
    Thanks a lot!
    I think armature and foil can be a bit visually confusing so to speak. It has a lot of reflections and texture and that takes my focus a bit away from the form as such. That is why I was aiming at salt dough - to get a less cluttered impression. Well, I will just have to get used to it I guess.
    you will.
    honestly, these days, I just use foil and sculpy in case I need to reposition. If that happens, you just heat and cut with an xacto blade! no saw, no snips.
    It has made my life a lot easier. I can't tell you how many times I needed to move something just a bit and the wire inside cracks out a 3" piece off the side... no more.
    P

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.