Art: my concept art - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: my concept art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    one of my quickest things, around one hour, no photo refs at all.

MY DEMO REEL
    MY BLOG

Last edited by RSLM; April 11th, 2011 at 05:26 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there RSLM;
    I'm not sure if its appropriate for me to comment and critique like this but even without telling and showing that- & how you used photos or photoref, it was too obvious from the the first pics you showed in a kinda collaged way.
    I don't think that it helps your pieces atm..
    Your speedy startings or scribbles mostly look better/more dynamic and get to the point - more than your finished pieces.
    Some of your final works also lost some important color- and contrastvalues compared to your startingscribble.. some things don't need to be rendered out too much ..
    Please don't take this as offence, I believe it'll help your works (also considering more functionality in your concepts).

- creativity is more like making love with your soul -

>My sketchbook thread<
    >latest'n'finished stuff<

3. The Following User Says Thank You to John-Doe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    John-Doe
    :-)
    my teachers used to say almost same "You starting out your paintings wery good, but finishing it not so well... and your work at the begining almost always looks better than at the end!" I'm really surprised that you've said same thing. I'm not saying that I'm most talented artist in the world, but I think I have what it takes to do not bad painting if I'm going to spent enough time. But in the modern world with deadlines and everything, speed - is big advantage, and you can do concepts fast only if you're using photography (actually, ideas are more important IMHO).
    One thing I'm going to do less for sure, it's using internet pictures, which are could be other people's intelectual property, even if there is no copyrights on them. Even partly useage could be an issue.

MY DEMO REEL
    MY BLOG

Last edited by RSLM; April 26th, 2011 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would agree on all parts. The 2 biggest things that I think hurt your images is the line quality and your values. I only bring this up because back when I started out, those were my biggest areas that needed the most improvement. While the art that you see here is very painterly and very loose, it doesn't mean that the work isn't solid and clearly defined. In the Fallout 3 piece with the aircraft carrier, you can see that the values of the craft have been blended into the piece solidly. Look at your pieces in black and white and see how the forms and values play out. It will tell you a lot about your work and how far you still need to go before calling them finished.

On a personal note, I don't care for your girl pics. They seem to be naked for the sake of wanting to paint a naked chick. As much as I love the female body, these pieces are boring. On the other hand, your vehicle work is top shelf and is a HUGE contrast to the other work you have posted. You have the values on those down, and they read well. You know what you're doing, so just keep practicing and it will all sing. Take care.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to corspufo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey RSLM,
    If you want to make photo-realistic artworks using photo references and painting together, you have to know how to paint everything from mind very very well.
    In all your artworks we see immediately where you had a reference and where you didn't, because everything else doesn't look right nor realistic. So unless you gain better knowledge about lighting, volume, anatomy and rendering, it won't work.
    Of course, this take time and practice, I admit. You said you want to go fast, but the artists you have taken as example are very skillful artists, they mastered all the above, which means they spent many years learning, observing and practicing, as every master artist did and keep doing, and that's why they can incorporate parts of photos without these parts being noticed.
    I don't think you can produce quality art without spending the time and effort into it. That's just my opinion. : )

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Smirt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RSLM View Post
    I'm not saying that I'm most talented artist in the world, but I think I have what it takes to do good looking painting if I'm going to spent enough time. But in the modern world with deadlines and everything, speed - is big advantage, and you can do concepts fast only if you're using photography.
    Speed comes with experience, not the other way around.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ethan karnopp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you can do concepts fast only if you're using photography.
    That's just not true at all and is really something you need to 'unlearn' and stop telling yourself.

Speed comes from practice and knowledge which instills confidence and understanding to what you are doing. The more you properly practice what you learn, the more those things become second nature and something that you no longer even have to consider while painting - you will just do it.

It's time to give away the bad habits you are forming with your work and start practicing some good habits that will benefit you in the long run.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NeecHMonkeY For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NeecHMonkeY
    Originally Posted by NeecHMonkeY
    really something you need to 'unlearn'.
    I don't want to 'unlearn' :-)

MY DEMO REEL

Last edited by RSLM; April 11th, 2011 at 05:27 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NeecHMonkeY
    Originally Posted by NeecHMonkeY

I don't want to 'unlearn' :-)
    You don't need to and shouldn't unlearn, but instead you need to switch your focus. Focus on foundations based on structure and solidify the rudimentary building blocks of art instead of pasting photographs together. If you can't paint a photograph, you can't use it, and if you decide to use a photograph in your work, you had best polish the rest of the painting to match it's finish.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ethan karnopp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I digg your courage RSLM! Keep it up And work on those foundations as is already pointed out. Sketch a lot, and keep up both sides of it! Both a good traditional foundation, and also the curiousity and experimenting!

And everyone whining about using photography/collages/ w/e to experiment with and develop upon, do your homework and let this guy be as creative as he is! (Most of you should actually try it out too =) )

And this is not saying its okay to use copyrighted material, but as he says he is not using such, I won't get into that.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dile_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dile_
    Thank You Very Much!

Last edited by RSLM; October 10th, 2011 at 10:03 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.