What kind of people make art ?.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What kind of people make art ?.

Im not very good at explaining my thoughts so i hope you get the general idea.

To me it seems like the people who make art are all very intelligent/spiritual/sincere etc. I have not encountered any ignorant/(add more negative character traits here) etc, artists.

Is this because the view on artists is just the stereotype of gifted/talented above the rest. Or to say it bluntly is it because unintelligent people cannot (do not think) they can make art. I dont strictly mean iq, intelligence to me is more then iq alone. There are plenty of people with low iq that have far more common sense and accurate views then some high iq people.

Would this mean that artists in general would get allong well with each other since they have this common experience and character traits ?.

Do you have experiences to show how different artists can be from another, and or show how artists do not get along well ?.

Could it be that the only people who get far into art have to posses specific character traits.
    Its said all the time that anyone can become an artists i do believe this But, i think in order for anyone to become an artists people learn/change themselves on their journey so theyre not really the same person as when they started the journey. That person without any changes would never be able to do art, hence why everyone needs to practice his skill and discipline. Sadly there are many people who do not want to(fear) or know how to change themselves.

Last edited by Oghren; March 22nd, 2011 at 03:24 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, this is interesting because I've never looked at it that way. Just from being an artist, I can tell you that we're all very observant people. We see the world differently than someone who, say, views it in a "2D" type of way. I think artists see the world in 3D, which means we know what's going on on the other side even though we can't physically see it. It doesn't make us smarter, its just a different way of thinking. I absolutely suck at math and they say that mathematics can easily place someone in the smart category. Or the belief that artists are good in English class and suck at Math lol.

That brings me to my second thing...talent. There are two types of talents: Coached talent and natural talent. They NEVER mix. You either have one or the other. Anybody can learn proper sketching techniques, but if you don't have creative talent, then you can't use those learned techniques to create something that your brain views as original. I do believe that everyone is born with a certain degree of creativity. Whether or not we can develop it is up to us. But that definitely does not make a non-creative person dumb. No way. They just learn how to create in different ways whether its writing, speaking, or building.

My SkEtChBoOk

[URL="www.wftogame.com
    [/URL]

Thanks
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    All kinds of people. Artists can be thin or fat, social or recluses, intelligent or stupid, thoughtful or vacuous... there is no specific type of person that becomes an artist.

As for the natural talent... it does not really exist. Artists who are touted as natural talents usually have simply started serious drawing/painting early or picked it up without specifically training for it. All kids pass through a stage of doodling stuff. A good percentage of artists are simply people who never stopped doodling or who liked the activity more than your average Joe and so did more of it.

Then some of them eventually stop, some don't progress beyond doodling, and some begin to be interested in improving their skill (or just grow it unconsciously). Those become artists.

Even though there are examples of talented kids who have picked up the "grown-up" drawing method quickly, they still started with the same childish doodles we all did. They just delved deeper and faster into it, whether because they practiced more than the usual or because they were more observant than the usual. That's, to the best of my knowledge, is what can be considered a natural talent: something that makes you getting better at it easier. You still have to learn. No one starts out with innate knowledge of perspective or anatomy or an ability to break the image into colored planes.

I've personally known four people who had a "wild talent" - in that their drawings started out interesting enough despite their obvious lack of technical skill. Two eventually polished their technique into a sort of cartoon drawing. One had not changed much (he began late, at 41, after doing a lot of animating other people's drawings and converting them into stereo pairs, which probably gave him the collateral skill that could be applied to his own drawings). One had become a very versatile and creative artist (and he eventually went to get a degree in arts, which did not improve his quality).

They all improved with practice, nonetheless. Their early naive work had visible potential, but their later work was invariably better - in one case, greatly better.

Last edited by arenhaus; March 22nd, 2011 at 05:06 AM.

Gavage is offline Aim for the head. That's where the pudding is. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wish artists just automatically got on well! It'd be great, all of us holding hands on a sunny hillside, sharing tips and offering heartwarming critiques just for the sake of improvement. =p

It's just like any other interest really. You get a large number of people who are smart, articulate and witty, and you also get people who come across as so infuriatingly stupid you're left wondering how they haven't drowned in the shower (my god, have you ever browsed DeviantArt?). Intelligent people seem to be more prone to disagree and argue over issues too - maybe because they'll automatically assume their view is the right one. That's the same as with any other interest or career, like I said - journalists get nasty with each other, actors and directors fall out over the films they're making, bands break up. You get the same issue with a lot of careers but a disagreement is likely to be more intense when it involves a creative project.

Personally on here at least, the vast majority of artists seem wise - or at least willing to learn and improve - as well as sensitive to other people's problems and aware of things that are going on in the world. There are, of course, also people who display such backward views on things it leaves me facepalming so fiercely that I'm going to need reconstructive surgery by the time I'm 30.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Oghren View Post
    Would this mean that artists in general would get allong well with each other since they have this common experience and character traits ?
    No. Artists are humans after all so there's still the same problems as in any other situation where lots of people are put together. Jealousy, drama, cliques and fights will ensue in pretty much every environment, whether the people are artists or not. Someone gets "unwarranted" fame, others get irritated. People can fight over their preferred styles and artists as much as people fight over about which band is the best. Some people are constantly happy and peppy, others find it irritating. Some have absolutely no social skills, some are just ignorant.
    And artists can fight over non-artist things too. There was this nice thing where Person A put cat crap to Person B's milk carton because B had reported A having a cat without permission... Both were artists.

And personally I have seen artists of all kinds, including skilled, rich artists who shoplifted art supplies for fun.

Last edited by TinyBird; March 22nd, 2011 at 05:57 AM.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Robobobo on the math thing - I suck at math On average I'd say artists are weak at academical subjects and strong in creative ones.

On the topic of 'natural' and 'trained' talent, I'm going to agree with Arenhaus that there is no such thing.
    However, my theory is that those mistaken for having 'natural' talent are the enthusiasts, they're the ones who draw for fun as well as improvement, and have done for as long as they can remember.
    Those filed under the 'trained' talent likely picked it up later and/or view art as something they should get better at because they "aren't good at anything else".

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Positive stereotypes are no more helpful, or true, than negative ones. If you think all artists are "intelligent/spiritual/sincere,""good in English class and suck at Math," etc, then you just don't know enough artists.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 277 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Huh, I've been told I fit the artist stereotype to a T, terrible math and all.

Anybody can be an artist. They just need to keep at it for 10,000 hours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    intelligent/spiritual/sincere etc.
    Ugh.
    I don't think I fit this artist steriotype well.(Unless being blunt counts as sincere)
    Should I quit, guys?

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    To me it seems like the people who make art are all very intelligent/spiritual/sincere etc. I have not encountered any ignorant/(add more negative character traits here) etc, artists.
    You want negative traits? Read up on any of these guys:
    Michelangelo
    Caravaggio
    Benvenuto Cellini
    Paul Gauguin
    James Abbott McNeill Whistler
    Picasso
    James Montgomery Flagg
    Jackson Pollock
    Francis Bacon
    and many more...

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artists are like anyone else, and you'd find the same diversity amongst them (us) than anyone else in the world. The only commonality is that they all create artwork. That is ALL.

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    All good artists are Willful.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I agree with Robobobo on the math thing - I suck at math On average I'd say artists are weak at academical subjects and strong in creative ones.

On the topic of 'natural' and 'trained' talent, I'm going to agree with Arenhaus that there is no such thing.
    However, my theory is that those mistaken for having 'natural' talent are the enthusiasts, they're the ones who draw for fun as well as improvement, and have done for as long as they can remember.
    Those filed under the 'trained' talent likely picked it up later and/or view art as something they should get better at because they "aren't good at anything else".
    Good grief, I hope people aren't getting into art because they feel as though they're not good at anything else. The art industry is so competitive, so if you are really personally motivated you won't make it.

And there are plenty of artists who enjoy academics and art at the same time. I certainly do. =)

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)

My SketchBook.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Reutte For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The kind of people who make are is as diverse as the human race itself. Anyone with an urge to make art can and will make art, whatever the reason spawning that urge.

In short, what kind of people make art? People.

People get far in making art by sheer perseverance and hard work, I was told by successful artist who made it all the way into the White House; university professors who have seen young artists of all caliber - from average Joe to promising prodigies who are never heard again after graduation; museum staffs who have seen their share of exhibitions on dead, alive, and new artists; and a curator whose job and passion is discovering and talking to artists of all sorts. They all agree talent exists, but is far from a deciding factor in the long run.

[edit] I'm passing along words from those who made it! I'm just an average Joe who can't even get past an art block...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Caravaggio murdered a guy over a game of tennis and, most likely, was a pedophile.

The only other murder-pedophile-artist I can think of, offhand, would be John Wayne Gacy.

But, his creepy clown paintings are way out of Caravaggio's league.

I don't think artists are like a species of animal with inherent generalizable traits!

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't create art, I create a product.

And I would m***** anyone that does bodily harm to anyone I call friend. (hey it's the net, don't need things coming back at me in the 'real world' )

Is that a negative trait?

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,208 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm kind of trollish. I think most (although not all) artists are.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ya, I've heard Caravaggio was...quite the character to say the least lol. If I'm not mistaken, he frequently had fits of rage that eventually led him to murdering a man and going on the run for it. Or something like that....

Anyway...I suppose I fit some of the stereotypes. I'm fairly poor at math. Past algebra I was pretty useless despite going to tutoring constantly on my own accord.
    English does come incredibly easy for me. I swear I could have been a writer. I thought about it for some time actually. But then again, that is probably because there are several similarities between composing a piece of art and an paper for English.

I don't smoke cigarettes...I was an athlete in school...I am left handed...I would say I'm pretty normal for the most part. I'm self centered like most artists but I try my best to keep it in check lol.

I'm kind of trollish. I think most (although not all) artists are.
    Maybe that's why there's so many freakin' trolls on this site...

The Sketchbook of Naj and Stu!:
    SKETCHBOOK

And of course go check out the SB of DefiledVisions

Wooly ESS is offline personal reinventor and observer of life Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I was a practising geophysicist, I always felt that my math skills were not strong enough to become a great geophysicist. Now that I am an artist I feel that I am not enough of a scatterbrain dipshit to become a great artist!

Too old to rock and roll and too young to die!

The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Wooly ESS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    intelligent/spiritual/sincere
    You pegged me all wrong!
    I'm dumb as a box of rocks, hate all religion, and I'm lying right now.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Gavage is offline Aim for the head. That's where the pudding is. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm surprised Hitler hasn't been mentioned yet.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gavage For This Useful Post:

Wooly ESS is offline personal reinventor and observer of life Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Godwined!

The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 925 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There may be some differences between those who are drawn to particular areas of art.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    All artists are insufferable. They make messes in the sink and get upset when they don't get their way. In social situations they tend to be pretentious and take brush sizes very seriously. God help you should you meet one in passing.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There are some pretty interesting theories on brain types and modes of learning/understanding called "Multiple Intelligences". Basically the idea is that there are 7 different main categories that people fall under (of course there is some crossover but most people do seem to fit one category pretty well):

1) language/words
    2) math/reasoning
    3) visual/spatial (this would be the "artist")
    4) kinesthetic/athletic
    5) interpersonal/people skills
    6) intrapersonal/introspective
    7)naturalistic/nature

I haven't read too much on it but it is a very hot topic in education. I've always thought it was interesting and made sense. If anyone is interested the keywords are: Multiple Intelligence - here is one link I found: http://www.thomasarmstrong.com/multi...elligences.php

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by crossmirage View Post

Anybody can be an artist. They just need to keep at it for 10,000 hours.
    Gah! Am I the only person on the planet who thinks Malcolm Gladwell is an annoying pseudo-intellectual twit who should be vigorously punched in the face until he just goes away?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its pretty clear to me that all kids of people make art. I was trying to think about some general picture of artists which im just going to stop because it wont be accurate.

I still think it is possible to find connections between artists, but the common grounds would always be less then the differences between artists. Maybe more similarities still then the similarities between All people.

@ eldwell i gues the stereotype of great artists is a little too positive. I did not know much about those names to be honest.

The thing all artists hav in common is that they create art, They put in hard work to get there. The reasons for them to do these thing might be totally different. But for a big part they might be the same.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The thing all artists hav in common is that they create art, They put in hard work to get there. The reasons for them to do these thing might be totally different.
    Wouldn't the same pretty much apply to.. pretty much everything? Except minus the "artist" and "create art" parts that can be changed to something else.
    You could say that the thing all athletes/singers/entrepreneurs have in common is that they do sports/sing/manage their firms and they worked hard to get there and probably for different reasons too etc etc.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes you could say that for things that play a very big part in someones life. Like highly competitive sports.

you couldn't say this for people having a job in which they dont invest their whole being. Shopping at a certain mall, driving the same car or something like that because its not a crucial factor in how someone choses to live his life. Art is a way of life, just as singers live life with a perspective more similair to other singers. I get that its just a lot easier to just say where all ''unique'' and driven by our own unique reasons then to try and find connections and make sense of it all. Until facts can show otherwise Humans are ''just'' biological machines . It wouldnt be too far fetched too assume we work in similair ways, for the same thing (art,sports whatever).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.