Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Spirals dont know what to do next

Thanks

Spirals dont know what to do next

Hellooooo, I'm Spiralpen. All new account but not new to conceptart site as I spent a lot of time looming this site for inspiration and tips. Seems everyone that give advice to new people say "make a sketchbook" so here I am

The real me is not a spiralpen, im not even quite sure what that is ,concept incoming?? No I am a 24 year old girl from Sweden who begrudginly have noticed that my slacking take on drawing has gotten me nowhere in four years, barely ANY progress! So now I have started serious by following some nice advice on this and other sites.

Here first is a show of what I can draw without reference

Ok. Now that the scary is over... lately ive been trying to copy real good peoples drawings to train my hand and eye coordination.. so,

HERE Is the original made by the amazing Dale Keown

And here is my own, it is made with my mechanical pencil, spiralpaper, taken with my mobile camera so the quality is pretty bad :/ need to get a scanner I think

And today I will probably copy some of those old masters, who I dunno I think I will pick on random
    Last edited by spiralpen; April 22nd, 2011 at 06:16 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    few hours later and after what felt like several frustrated hours, so it seems I will probably need to get more than one mechanical pencil to try to copy master? OR is it simply lack of skills on how to draw like them??

Anyway, here is three photos taken of different stages of my copy drawing.

45 minutes

90 minutes

130 minutes

Here is the beautiful reference picture
    this is by Jean-Baptiste Greuze
    Last edited by spiralpen; March 21st, 2011 at 09:09 AM.

Thanks
    u copied that pic like a scanner.. u captured it very well.. although if u took that pic with scanner im sure it would looked even better.. ^_^ .. keep them coming..
    i love to do everything and learn everything... i hate to be cornered in one place.. i believe u can be anything u want... Your mind is limitless... check out my sketchbook ... u will find a bit of everything

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=203429

Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/salemshanouha

Thanks
    Thanks lots Yes scanner suddenly seems way more important

Thanks
    what I do for fuuun

bunch of these, I really needed a break from studying the masters art

Thanks
    I love love love the lips in that master study !! The hatching was so great too.. It looks amazing in it's own right.

I also thought your recreation of that picture was killar too haha . Can't wait to see more from you.

You must be studying a lot of Old Master's stuff at the moment? Is it helping you out quite a bit?

Edit - Also, you do need a scanner!! You'll be so thankful when you get one lol. It saves so much hassle.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterknife View Post
    I love love love the lips in that master study !! The hatching was so great too.. It looks amazing in it's own right.

I also thought your recreation of that picture was killar too haha . Can't wait to see more from you.

You must be studying a lot of Old Master's stuff at the moment? Is it helping you out quite a bit?

Edit - Also, you do need a scanner!! You'll be so thankful when you get one lol. It saves so much hassle.
    Thanks soo much ! ofcourse since I sat too long with it all I see is the flaws I feel I should change

Yes I feel like I spend a lot of time with master studies right now, but I do a lot of different things so it doesnt get so heavy, it really really helps, I read a forum thread from this really great artist and teacher who said that until you get good control of your hands you should copy drawings / paintings until you cant tell a difference between the two.. its helped me a ton with hair and noses, I'ts also a nice break from my books on drawing, sometimes those words just jumble together into a big mess

Oki its decided, getting a scanner next week, hehe !

Thanks
    This is another master drawing copy, I tried to do this one a bit faster cause the lines were soo flowing

copied from this one, by Delacroix? I think? or the piece is called that, or .. its french for really nice done drawing?

Thanks
    Hey, thanks for dropping by my sketchbook and for the nice words I really like your style, the first piece is astounding. You've done superbly with that one and as for the other ones I think they're are all a wonderful start on your sketchbook!!. You've got an eye for detail and tracing it with your eyes. I think "recreating" other great pieces can be very useful in terms learning to understand what one is seeing. That is like the hidden code within art at it's core, to understand what one is seeing. Because when one understands, it is going to put all the pieces of the puzzle mystery together and anatomy, dynamic poses, balance, rendering and every other piece are going to come together. Everything is going to unfold more and more as you study more. Then one will be able to draw the unseen and in all different angles. By carefully learning to find ways to simplify shapes and measure them we can achieve anything. Primitives like the circle, the square and other shapes can be used to block in shapes, then they can be easily measured and lay the ground for say a character "No matter how much you draw, how skilled you get to be, how well trained your eye becomes, you will always have to begin by building the head correctly, just as a carpenter, no matter how long he has worked, always measures a board before he cuts it." - Andrew Loomis .You should check out Andrew Loomis and study his books if you haven't already. I'm studying his book fun with pencil at the moment and it gives you a lot to think about when drawing, no matter what the object is. Thanks once again for the nice words. Keep the studies up, sorry for the long rant LOL Är du svensk? Roligt isåfall?

//The Knight

Thanks
    Thank you so much yes that is exactly what I was thinking about why I keep doing this, it feels good you said all that cause now I feel even more like continuing with drawing this way. And I ment to say in your sketchbook but I love the town you made, it really looks so well made and the pizza sign keeps catching my attention, haha

Och ja, jag e svensk ^^

Thanks
    You're most welcome! Glad to be of any help or encouragement I thank you the compliment, yeah the pizza sign is so big and it seems it fulfills it's purpose getting attention even in the real world hehe. I like your last one of Christ really much!! Good job! I wish you good luck on your journey and here's something to help you on the road, something that may be of great help Andrew Loomis books in pdf format: http://alexhays.com/loomis/

Vad roligt med en till från Sverige, jag har inte träffat på någon från Sverige än, du är den första ^^ Jag lägger till dig på min friendslist. Har du möjligtvis deviant art också?

Thanks
    Thanks, awesome link Woho my first friend

Ja jag har deviantart, jag har samma namn där Har bara varit där en typ vecka däremot och knappt inget är uppladdat, får jobba på det

Ok so now I have done the hardest study so far, haands, and I haven o idea how he makes those nice lines?? it looks smooth at the same time as there are some really really fine lines, a totally new respect

ORIGINAL REFERENCE

MY DRAWING, forgot to time how long time it took, d'oh

Thanks
    Ok so I just drew from a photo, I could do basic lines but when it comes to shading I have no idea how to ??? But drawing is becoming less frustrating and more fun now!

I also used my Intuos 2, because soon I will get my ordered Intuos4 small So I want to use my old tablet as much as possible so that I wll be able to feel all the great differences when I get it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast