Art: Help starting a 3d model
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help starting a 3d model

Hi, I think this is the right place to post this but not to sure, so if I am wrong sorry.

I just started to use clay and make figures but I am having real trouble with 3d figures. On a flat surface I can make them fairly ok considering I was only doing it for a week but once I have to construst the skelleton for a 3d figure it is becoming a real problem.

I understand the basic's and read through the tutorials but still am having a HUGE issues. I did what they said I drew the back bone "used 1/6 inch wire" and measured it perfectly, but once I add the arms/fins it all goes down quick.

Even once I get it roughly stuck together it just looks like...hell.

This is the picture I am trying to turn 3d btw, loved it for a long time and dieing to make it.

Can anyone offer tips on how to make this skelleton? What size wire how should it be on the board ect.

Does anyone offer lessons on soley how to do 3d sculpting? Also can anyone please help me out, this is getting really frustrating.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Firstly awesome picture

as for the skelleton you need the wire in the center of your model and in the arms then just bulk it out with loads of tinfoil as this saves on clay and cuts down on your baking time

also make sure you have the main body shape completely done before your start adding fins and other details. Make it big as well the bigger it is the more it will look like what you want it to (in theory)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the sketch too!... hope you can post progress... if you do.. then can't wait to see your idea being fleshed out with clay...
    Good luck with it.

James

Last edited by polybuilder; March 20th, 2011 at 11:54 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there are some preliminary questions

first how big aare you trying to make this?

next what medium are you using?

finally are you planning on casting it for reproduction? if so what is the finished product made out of?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It would help a lot to see pics of what you have developed so far. Even if its super rough. But initially you just want to think about basics. Just like blocking in a drawing. You want to analyze the piece and start with the most simple geometric forms possible. Think - head, ribcage, pelvis, limbs.

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it" - Groucho Marx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyDan View Post
    I just started to use clay and make figures but I am having real trouble with 3d figures. On a flat surface I can make them fairly ok considering I was only doing it for a week but once I have to construst the skelleton for a 3d figure it is becoming a real problem.
    What might help you is making a relief sculpture first.
    start out with a printout of you picture. then build it up with clay DIRECTLY ON THE PRINTOUT so it comes out of the picture in 3D like the face of a coin. One of my first pieces was like this and it taught me a lot and is a far less strenuous way to start 3D. You can work out the ins and out of how something looks to get it more like your drawing.

I have found that 3D is a whole different way of thinking. I used to only draw and had trouble seeing it too. that's why a relief is good to start with, it's one view. straight on. When i started sculpting in earnest, I found going back to drawing very limiting, as I can only convey one dimension of how I see something in my head. I think of the whole piece. You have to picture the entire sculpt, otherwise you will have something that looks good head-on, and not good from the side or back. (I would bet that's the trouble you are having). Imagine you are watching a movie and the camera is panning over and around the creature, how does it look from the front, the underside, swing up over the shoulder, how broad is the back? look at it's legs as it walks past the camera. that's how I think as I work.
    Phil

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by philofmars View Post
    Imagine you are watching a movie and the camera is panning over and around the creature, how does it look from the front, the underside, swing up over the shoulder, how broad is the back? look at it's legs as it walks past the camera. that's how I think as I work.
    Phil
    That.

I have trouble understanding that some people cannot grok this. The point of concept art is to suggest, if it doesn't suggest, then it is bad concept art. You should be able to imagine this creature, the whole creature.

Maybe make a maquette first - just get a small lump of clay and make a rough sausage thing that looks a bit like it. See if that helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice one man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DuneFishUK View Post
    That.

I have trouble understanding that some people cannot grok this. The point of concept art is to suggest, if it doesn't suggest, then it is bad concept art. You should be able to imagine this creature, the whole creature.

Maybe make a maquette first - just get a small lump of clay and make a rough sausage thing that looks a bit like it. See if that helps.

Most people don't look at things our way. I remember watching terminator as a teen and being amazed at how he saw things with the view finder, analyzing his surroundings. It was kind of how I saw things without realizing it. looking at shadows, color shifts, breaking things into shapes and features. Then when I started sculpting, it was more of a rotating view that developed. Most people just see what they see and not the possibilities. it'll come.
    P

http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great help so far guys . I am using super sculpy a few different colours because it was all they had but still it is being painted :p. My GF. was wondering if you can make a mold from super sculpy or does it damage it? She is also just starting :p.

But here is some update pics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Remember I am just starting so I am looking for some help to get better with out being crushed to dust :p. This is the first try with clay "ever" .

Working on the arms to add tonight as well as the fins. The boils are not sitting right with me right now tho "they have not been flattened at the edges yet"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyDan View Post
    Working on the arms to add tonight as well as the fins. The boils are not sitting right with me right now tho "they have not been flattened at the edges yet"
    Yes you can cast super sculpy. I've been using it for years. If you can find clay shapers, they are WONDERFUL. they are paintbrush looking things with rubber or silicone tips that you use to smooth things out. I love them. they'd work well for the boil edges. Another trick is to detail over a sheet of saran wrap, this keeps the skin looking pliable instead of cutting into it with a tool and it adds little wrinkles as a bonus. If you are going to cast it, start thinking now how you'd part it out. as in: make a square hole where the fins go, so you can make them separately and plug them in later.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.