television; entertainment for the masses?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks

Question television; entertainment for the masses?

this is just a little something ive been thinking of lately, just a topic for possible discussion.

has anyone else noticed that half the time you watch tv youre not even very interested in whats going on? ive stayed away from tv prettymuch for a few months now, but every now and then i get sucked in, and i feel icky when i crawl out. ive always had an eye for advertising tactics and tools that tv uses to draw you in, and most of them are soooo lame i wonder how things like that arent caught on to. i dont like the news anymore, because its so hacked up in editing that you only get the story that they think you want. but somehow, i always end up wasting time with it. in fact, its gotten so bad that im not even sure im going to want to own a tv when i try to raise kids... i mean sure it will keep them off my back, but do i want them to be turned into the drones that advertising would make them out to be? am i alone in the thought that tv just shovels us bullsh!t and we happily take it and ask for seconds? so i ask, how do you guys feel about tv? is it a big waste, somethink that can enlighten, or a little bit of both?

please feel free to post your thoughts on this.
    chris

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    I like to watch tv shows on HBO cause there is no commercials.

well and the Simpsons....but besides that.. too hell with it.

-Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

Thanks
    I don't watch TV. Except if there's a good movie on...or there's an interesting event like the world cup in football...The other stuff they show on TV really suck.
    We only have the three "default" channels, and only one of them show commericals...commericals are the devil! :firedevil

I'm moving in about a week...I won't even have a TV - it only costs money...I have to pay a stupid license to be allowed to own a TV...If it wouldn't be for that license, I would've been thinking of buying a TV and a DVD player...but now I'll watch DVDs on my computer instead.

Thanks
    a liscense to own a tv? thats insane. or maybe im just spoiled... crazy man, crazy!

chris

Thanks
    I definitely watch less telly than I used to, and not just because I work most nights now. Maybe a coupla programs a week. There's very little "must see" programs for me. I like to see Life Support on Monday, but haven't seen it in a coupla weeks. My only definitive program was Ed, but am now waiting for the next series.

I'd rather come on the net, read up on the latest news, chat with friends, play some online War3 and hang at forums. @:-)

Chris Bowden
    http://www.artofbrain.com/ - Crawling back

Thanks
    I grew up without a TV and at the time hated it. In recent years I have begun to realize(sp?) that I am glad that I don't have one now. I am easily distracted by visual stimuli whatever it is, and I would rather draw or use my computer than watch TV. It's much more fun and more productive for me.

-Nate

Although, sometimes I need my simpsons, futurama, family guy, etc...

-Nate

Thanks
    Originally posted by chris
    a liscense to own a tv? thats insane. or maybe im just spoiled... crazy man, crazy!

chris
    You have to pay a license to own a TV (but you can have as many TVs as you want...you don't have to pay more for that)...and then you are allowed to watch the three channels you always can watch (regardless if you pay the license or not - but if you haven't payed the license and you still watch TV, they'll put a snail on your eye [really...that's some kind of weird propaganda they had some years ago!] )...It's crazy and stupid...

Thanks
    wow man... i need to travel. and for the record, tv shows having to do with art or animation arent included here

chris

Thanks
    TV is crap usually, though I like documentries-. BBC make some decent stuff most of the time-and the odd comedy and movie re-run

Here in the UK we pay a TV licence - but that means 2 out of the 5 channels we have (on terrestrial rather than satalite or cable TV at least) do not have commericals.

I find it hard to watch TV at all if there are commericals (what seems like) every 5 minutes - turning a 1 1/2 hr film into 3hrs. plus - in the UK the commericals are a louder output volume than the programes themselves for even more sublimial advertising impact.

Thanks
    There are atleast some things left on television educational: History Channel and Discovery Channel

Thanks
    i really only watch pbs....cool shows about weather and bugs and stuff.

Thanks

Arrow !

i only watch simpsons and malcome in the middle

conan obrian if im around a tv at that time ...

but soon i'll be watching he-man...that is if it doesnt suck ... i hope not

Thanks
    "they'll put a snail on your eye"

Holy shit! LOL, that's the worst thing I've ever heard.

For anyone who's interested check out these guys.
    ADBUSTERS-CULTURE JAMMERS HEADQUATERS
    TvTurnOffWeek!
    They created an international event I happened to take part in earlier in the year called "TV TURN OFF WEEK" You really realize what it does to you once you get away from it.
    Seriously though, check out this site, get your hands on the magazine. They really have a powerful message pertaining to more than just the television. And some things that anyone who considers themselves an artist should hear at least once. Be responsible with your work.

Cheers:chug:

Last edited by Grooveholmes; August 12th, 2002 at 09:26 PM.

Thanks
    thanks for the link, its a cool place. ive spent some time reading the posts about the 'war on terrorism'... very thought provoking.

chris

Thanks
    Thanked 10,990 Times in 2,556 Posts
    here is something cool to do with a tv...rent some movies from the list below...get your remote cuz you will need the pause button.

citizen kane
    aliens
    blade runner
    orson welles OTHELLO
    lord of the rings
    the old zorro tv show (absolutely fantastic lighting)...some of the best tv for lighting you ever saw. CHECK IT OUT!

watch the movie...pause it during every interesting scene and do thumbnail sketches of them..tonally...not linear sketches...look at the use of lignt and color...look at the tonal patterns...look at how they focus the main characters.

watch how they use values for moods...colors for moods.

anyhow...enjoy

jason

I learned to do pictorial lighting and staging and composition from watching those....and then comparing the works of dore..degas...gerome....its very similar stuff....really great stuff.

Thanks
    i know i used to waste HEAPS of time watching tv...i dont any more tho, now i waste heaps of time playing Counter Strike instead of doing art

i think computers can be just as much, if not more, of a hindrance to drawing...but they can be usefull too, i guess it depends how disciplined you are..

man i hate Counter Strike

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Jason, I've noticed that too and I have a couple more to add to the list.

Pitch Black
    Alien 3 (not really as much but the dark monochrome schemes are very dramatic and make for great reference)

That is all.

btw: For the most part, I hate anything that isn't Farscape or an old episode of the X-Files.

vudu Guest
    I used to watch tv a lot earlier. But since they (the state) messed all the independent channels I'm out of it.

Another thing I noticed that computer games are even worse than TV ... once I got so angry with myself playing so much that I through all my game cd's (about 20) into a trashcan ... that was a strong did ...

Thanks
    Well I do agree about TV and that Computers can be just as bad and worse. But I have some childhood memrioes of tv shows I used to watch that I can talk about to other people with that watched them as well. I was pretty much a poster child for what the tv companies wanted in a kid mentally for watching tv but I have caught on to most of the gimmicks since I have been in highschool and never really watch too much tv, just when I am bored or have a really bad mood day where I can't get my hand onto a pencil.

Of course I don't watch tv really anymore, but I do go on the computer too much, the computer is pretty much the new television(new addiction). Lots of great information to read about, but reading is not the only thing you need to do to learn, you need to go out and use what you learn instead of just learning learning learning learning learning learning, now that you have all that knowledge you may have read up on, on the internet just reading more doesn't really do much, whats the use of the knowledge you get if you don't use it.
    I think what I need to do is watch for all the gimmicks video games might use for advertising so I don't get sucked into those as much.

I had wanted to get one of those apartment rooms where it is just one big room....i think they are called studio apartments, but I woulda wanted to get one of thoes and just bring my art supplies, necessary life things and maybe my computer. Then just do art all day, but since I am going to art school and I now will have no money for myself and wont have time for a job during the school season it isnt gonna happen.

I think building my own computer was a big mistake too, its nice to have one of my own that doesn't break down from having 6 people use it but its there anytime I want to use it, and that can be too much time.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.