Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So, about the District 9 Mech Model

Thanks

So, about the District 9 Mech Model

I did some searching and coudn't find a similar thread. I know this movie has a bit of age, but I love this mech. It's got all the functionality and sharp geometry, while scaling at a size perfect for general warfare. Reminds me a lot of the Tau Battlesuits of Warhammer 40k (so did the small arms weapons, actually), only a lot more real. The only thing it's really missing is a jet pack. The "Exosuit", as it's officially titled.

Attachment 1193604
    Attachment 1193605
    Attachment 1193606
    Attachment 1193607
    Attachment 1193608
    Attachment 1193609
    Purchase Link

I was complaining about the price earlier, but now agree with the multitude of clearminded people. Just wanted to put this in the first post so those wishing to respond will stop replying to the first post only, thank you.
    Last edited by Max Challie; March 21st, 2011 at 04:46 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,855 Times in 3,959 Posts
    Three months work? And what would you expect to be paid for 3 months work?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 473 Posts
    Seen collector's pay more for things. Only you can decide how much of a collector you want to be.

Thanks
    If it's a hand-crafted, not made at all from a machine statuette, then the price tag is far too low, IMO. If it's mass-produced (or even limited series) and built by machine, then you're right.

Thanks
    Weta makes some cool stuff. Look at what they made for Valve:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,154 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Problem with collecting stuff is that it's only worth what others are willing to pay. So if you buy it, it may not rise in value. That is unless in thirty years D9 emerges as a cult-classic and lots of people want it.

But you're paying $600 for a statue. You can't even play with it. If you could pose it and switch weapons and if it lit up then maybe that's worth it. Consider there's plenty of fine collector mech toys from Japan that can do those things for a lot cheaper.

Better yet, buy the materials and make one for yourself. It would be learning process and you'd get what you want.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Yea it is really cool, and the designer looks like Zach Galifianakis, but wouldn't you rather put that towards a vacation?

It is not a fine arts statue that can be bought as an investment. I don't know, I grew out of toys when I was 13, so spending 600$ on a statue like that seems crazy when I can put it towards a vacation or a PC upgrade, or saving for another car because mine is 11 years old and doesn't really work anymore.

Thanks
    Black Spot and goldilockz, you're right about the price. And really, if i was rich, i wouldn't hesitate to buy it. And i agree with s.ketch... Buckweisel, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by s.ketch View Post
    Better yet, buy the materials and make one for yourself. It would be learning process and you'd get what you want.
    Best statement of the thread, i reckon. Just that it'll take years of practise and etc, might as well start soon.

Pavel - yeah, no sane person on a working budget would buy it. It would be fantastic to sit on the shelf, but i'm not in that class, at least not yet
    Thanks for your feedback, everyone!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel Sokov View Post
    I grew out of toys when I was 13, so spending 600$ on a statue like that seems crazy when I can put it towards a vacation or a PC upgrade, or saving for another car because mine is 11 years old and doesn't really work anymore.
    Liar - your preferred choice of toys just evolved.

(Damn I want to work for Weta, but NZ immigration is a cock to get through )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 271 Posts
    Well priced if you ask me, remember they are collectibles not for kids to be playing with in the sand box (not to say i wouldn't, I would so be pew pew's kill the baddie in the sandbox! hah!)

Thanks
    I know people who regularly drop hundreds on statues based on the Berserk manga series made by Art of War in Japan. Really neat stuff but I agree, I'd never buy a collector's statue unless I suddenly came into a whole bunch of money.

Still, pictures of them are awesome. Good reference material.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by goldilockz View Post
    If it's a hand-crafted, not made at all from a machine statuette, then the price tag is far too low, IMO. If it's mass-produced (or even limited series) and built by machine, then you're right.
    Pretty sure it's somewhere inbetween. The parts are produced from molds, but they're hand assembled.

For that quality of model, I don't think it's overpriced. Now, I'd be far more likely to buy a cheaper model, even considering the cuts in quality they'd have to make.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    Pretty sure it's somewhere inbetween. The parts are produced from molds, but they're hand assembled.

For that quality of model, I don't think it's overpriced. Now, I'd be far more likely to buy a cheaper model, even considering the cuts in quality they'd have to make.
    The master will include some or many CNC'd or RP'd parts, but even with machine involvement there, they always need cleaning up and fixing by hand and eye. The parts will then be moulded by a skilled moulder and cast by a skilled caster, assembled by hand and painted by hand (and with some skill).

So no, no overpriced by a long chalk - although no shame in knowing its out of our price-range

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast