Sketchbook: Shad's CRAZY weeks : 2/15 week 2 = FAIL - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look at the difference between when you started and where you are now. Very quick improvement.

Keep pumping em out and dont stop, until you fall asleep on top of your pencil. Hopefully the eraser wont go in your eye.

Thanks for stopping by the sb, never made anyone feel that way before. Glad you liked it.

Try out this site. http://lovecastle.org/draw/ For some practice.

See ya

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Philosiflo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    anatomy and bridgeman studies are good keep up man!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dimi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Deadlyhamster > Hey I'm glad to see you by my sb !
    I'll sure update as often as I can !

RBeek > Thanks ! Drawing = improving, no matter what. It's exactly what I needed to hear !

tronrobot > I'll sure keep making some ! Thanks !

Philosiflo > Wow thanks a lot for this link ! I checked it and it'll be very usefull for future studies !
    Thank you soo much for those kind words ! It seriously gives me alot of motivation !
    (Plus you made me laugh :p )

dimi > I'll keep anatomy studies for sure ! But I think I'll get back to bridgman when I'll know more about muscles and stuff, I wasn't really understandig what I was drawing when doing those :/

So tonight I had a strong will of drawing, because I could'nt the whole week end ( I found a moment to make a study while drunk at friday night but anyway >< )
    I felt like improving my faces so I went on DA and searched for nice portraits. I came up with this, critiscism more than welcome dudes !

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The portraits look nice.

Keep on moving, man.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtsySiridean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, thanks for replying ! =)
    I'll keep it as long as I can =)

I got kinda busy today but I'll check your SB tomorrow ! ( It's 10:20 PM in France, homeworks time xD )

So today , because I was busy, I only did two speedy studies from photo references ( I'm discovering the power of Deviantart : D ), plus a girl from imagination because... I wanted to ! :p
    I'm feeling a little bit more confident in my lines but I guess it'll only get better with tons more of work =)
    Feel free to give me your opinion !
    See ya tomorrow !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good studies shad, especially the woman with the hat

10. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlyhamster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes dude! keep up the studies and ull be awsome in no time!

thanks for the visit to my sb btw appreciated

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RBeek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys !
    I'm pushing those as much as I can ! I am really motivated , even more than when I drew for my school book ^^
    So I'm starting a little bit of perspective, because I want to have an attempt at an armored vehicle before the end of the week ! (Trying to kick my ass to do some other stuffs than just faces from imagination ! )
    Also here is a little research work for a "starcraft inspired scene" for a french forum
    I tried working with silhouettes for the first time ! Did a protoss face rough study, and protoss legs rough studies. Trying to understand how it works !
    More to come tonight > photo studies maybe, and maybe a few very fast figure sketches. I don't really know xD

Oh and RBeek, you're welcome, I love your SB, and I love seeing you in mine ! =)

Also dudes, sorry for the bad quality of last pictures, it's taken with my phone because of the size ( A2 canson sketchbook ! )
    I'll be getting a nice scanner soon, probably next week ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moaar, moaaar !!

I tried fast sketching but it was apalling so I decided to just do studies like I do normally.
    But last two (the bottom two ) are a bit faster @ about 5 mins each
    Tomorrow I'll push perspective and muscles learning !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice set of updates. There is definitely good improvement here. Arm study looks good as does the perspective study.

The only piece of advice I'd have is to try and focus on one aspect of drawing. Right now your studies are all over the place. Try to dedicate a week to perspective, a week to faces or anatomy or whatever you want to. That way you can focus on certain problems and work them out before moving to the other issues...

Then again those are just my 2 cents

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dracken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe thanks Dracken !
    Yeah I'm always like this : I want to do lots of things so I do all of them in the same time and end up doing nothing concrete... It's not just for drawing, il live that way, and I have to struggle very hard against myself to correct that ! xD

Today I justdid some rough rough rough sketches from imagination, nothing that is good for posting. I just feeled like having a break in those studies, but tomorrow will be anatomy day ! (Or... maybe perspective day... or shading day... Shad please stop being like this ><)

And again, a big thanks to you Dracken, it really boost me to see you taking time to comment my work again ! (Plus this piece of advice is very precious ! )

See ya guys tomorrow !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey shad, good new studies.
    Mayby it's true what dracken is requesting because on your last page you did anatomy studie, figure studie and portrait studie all on the same page XD.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to deadlyhamster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Deadlyhamster ! Yeah Dracken is right, I must focus on one thing before another.

So today I followed your piece of advice and did LEG STUDIES, because I fuckin can't draw nor understand legs.
    I'm almost done with understanding the upper leg, whereas I just can't figure out the volumes of muscles in the down leg _o

Anyway I also did a study of about 30 mins as a warmup, and another 2 studies of 30 min each with a friend on msn.
    Tomorrow, I continue legs, plus I'll have some loomis reading, about drawing portraits

Please give me criticism guys !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like those skull thingies you draw

Anyway, those leg studies seem well, maybe it is a good idea to practice some more fullbody drawings with more movement (so then you can also adapt the knowledge of all those leg muscles)?

I still do not know the leg muscles from head by the way, do you know them from head? XD

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sushy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good bunch of studies shad, your doing good

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 604 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    good studies, esp. the Bridgeman studies and the onion from the first page - keep doing them and let the pen live.

SB. p31 updated 25.04.2012.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to dan liimatta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sushy > Thanks ! The skullies are from a tatoo I saw on some guy's photo last week ^^
    I just know the upper leg muscles, I can't remember anything about the lower leg xD

Deadlyhamster > Thanks bro

Dan > Thanks for stopping by ! Yeah I will do more bridgman studies, but I want to understand the body better before doing those ! Long live our pens !

So I spent all yesterday at my girlfriend's, but I took the time to do two 5 mins studies from pixellovely ( but I lost the paper , so I couldn't take a pic of those, they weren't brilliant anyway x) ) plus an eye from head.

Today is Loomis day : I decided to study his " Figure drawing for all it's worth " to understand fully the human body. I think it's better to learn from him than learning all those muscles which I can't really tell how they work together.

Sor here it is, more to come tonight !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Studying Loomis is a good choice, I think.

He encourages you to do those "movement sketches" ("Bewegungsskizzen" in german, dunno the english word) right after you have learned the basics of the human body.
    When you just construct the human body by building it up after strict measurements, your pose will have this stiff feel to it - if you know what I mean... Therefore Loomis wants you to do natural movement poses right from the start to avoid that.

Keep on studying, you're on the way!

My Sketchbook - Please take a look

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Snyder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there! Some good studies so far, I like your use of tones.
    Also; on that last eye you drew, I think this link would be helpful for you:
    http://www.stanprokopenko.com/blog/2009/05/draw-eyes/
    Drawing your own eyes from a mirror is another great way to help you understand how to make the eye look less flat.

Any way, you're onto a very good start. Keep up the good work, mate!

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mmm, Loomis studies always hits the spot when I see it. Definitely keep up both your studies and imagination work and I'm sure you'll continue to become something beastly awesome!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Pervy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, I'm really glad my comments help motivate you We all need more motivation. Everyday I struggle to sit myself down and study stuff, but the more you work from life or by copying the masters the easier it gets to see mistakes and get better and better.

Going through Loomis is a good starting point. Try to go through the entire book and then compare to Bridgeman. They are both great but have different approach to anatomy and both are great to study.

I don't know if you know about Dave Rapoza, but he is a great artist who has livestreams where he answers a bunch of questions. I like to listen to him as a way to motivate while doing my own studies, and he also talks about his way of studying. Some interesting stuff here Link

34. The Following User Says Thank You to dracken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Snyder > Thanks man ! Yeah Loomis really helps me to draw in a more dynamic way, it's only been two days I am studying him, and I can already feel it a bit. I'll keep doing this, he is awesome !

Naidy > Thanks for stopping by ! And a huge tahnk you for the tutorial about eyes, I bookmarked it, and the nose , lips and ears ones ! I'll study this later and it'll be a lot of help to me !

Pervy > Thanks man ! Hit a spot ? What does that mean ? Sorry english is not my native language :/
    Anyway I love studying Loomis, I feel like it is very helpful so I'll sure keep at it ! I hope I will be something beastly awesome haha !

Dracken > Hi again ! Glad to see you here !
    I struggle to just the same as you do, but it'll pay of one fine day : D
    I already heard of Franck Rapoza but only it's name, is he Mrdelicious from CA ? I checked your link, it seems like a lot of awesomeness awaiting to help me, thanks alot !

So today was Loomis study day 2, plus I decided to do some poses studies, some mannikin from head, and some crappy imagination kind of monster. Also spheres and stuffs from yesterday night.

Tomorrow will be Loomis day 3, plus the super "100 superfast poses day" ! See you tomorrow !

Of course C&C are still more than welcome, thanks everybody for your kind words, which really help me to go on

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like that ur doing imagination work with ur studies... something i didnt do so far.. i suck when it gets to imagination... good progress.. lomis is always good to see

i love to do everything and learn everything... i hate to be cornered in one place.. i believe u can be anything u want... Your mind is limitless... check out my sketchbook ... u will find a bit of everything

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=203429

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Rain Walker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man I wished I was 17 when I started with this stuff! You have a head start, keep it up! Can't give any useful tips seems you are doing all the right stuff!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to mitchoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awsome man! awsome to see you working hard! like mitchoo just said, wish i was 17
    but its awsome ur studying this hard, u are doing the right studies!

Keep up the good stuff man, maybe some blindcontours, which will help you to improve your line, and also help you to train ur eyes seeing the negative space

GOGOGO!

41. The Following User Says Thank You to RBeek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow thanks guys ! D

Rain Walker > Yeah I try not to lose the few imagination I have left :/ I need to just loosen up after doing studies, but sadly the more I study the worst my imagination are. I guess the process will just invert itself when I'll have learned more. Thank you for stopping by buddy !

Mitchoo > Yes yes, give me all the tips you have in head man ! Thanks alot for the kind words, it really encourages me to continue working when you tell these things. But you know, I just want to study all at the same time, I think it's not agood method, so feel free to tell me what you think is better, or not, or anything !

RBeek > Nice to see you here again ! Thanks alot for the encouragement and tip : I tried to do some blindcontours today and it's really a hell of a hard challenge for me ! I guess the hardest things will make me grow the fastest ! Thanks again !

So guys I told you I was going for a 100 poses challenge today, which I totally failed at. I though I would be going for 100 about 30/1 min poses, which was ok. But I tried to apply just all what you told me :
    -Used ink ballpoint pen, to avoid erasing and concentrate on my linework.
    -Tried to loosen up my sketches.
    -Try to do a few blindcontours.

And I also tried some shading on last ones because I, well, just felt like doing this ! And it was alot of fun !

Finally I ended up with 21 poses done with a friend on msn, plus 6 imagination drawings about words we were imposed ( cat, baseball, fishing, hamburger, "argh", and plant.) , and an imagination snowboarder in pentel brushpen because I DAMN LOVE PENTEL BRUSHPEN D
    Anyway all my imagination today totally sucked and the snowboarder has an awful too small head.
    Plus, I didn't had time to do the loomis studies, as the 21 poses took me about 2hours and 5 mins plus another 1h30 for all the imagination & little sketches apart from those.

So tomorrow I plan on, guess what ? Working that Loomis book so hard that I'll broke my pencils on my SB. That sounds like rock isn't it ? ( But I know I'll just study him for 1 hours or 2 then just end up being bored and play some minecraft >< )

Anyway I loved sketching in inkball pen. I'll have to do more blindlines to learn more about negative space. Plus some poses for props, and some Loomis for basical anatomy.

The more I draw, the more I want to draw. Hope it will stay this way for a long time.

See you tomorrow guys, and feel free to tell me ANYTHING about how I should work, what's good, wrong, or if I'm doing total sh*t, or ANYTHING!!

I love CA so much, having feedbacks on what I do helps me a huge lot to keep going. Thanks to all of you guys !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good studies - as for the imagination pieces - have fast do you add the lines? I'd try to be careful and slow with the pen for some of them - trying imagine the line before you add it - as you seem to lose quality of line as well when you do your own.

either way keep them coming.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to dan liimatta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dan > Thanks alot for keeping commenting on my SB ! =) It's great that I can get advices from you !
    Those last sketches were about 5 min each so I was adding lines really fast ( to me at least xD ) I didn't care much about the line quality and I don't know why, I should have. Thanks alot for that !

So Wednesday I continued to make some poses but caring with the line quality like you told me. I did 9 of those, then got bored and stopped.
    Thursday I only did the last shaded pose, which was done in about 15 mins.
    Yesterday I painted a few in photoshop to remember myself what it feels like, but only came up with a new piggy avatar.

As you can see I got pretty bored with drawing gestures only, and I think it caused me a little lack of motivation. Which is bad. Really really bad.

Anyway I'm back on track now : I spent the whole day looking at Doctor Who ( which is a huge time swallower ), then I'm about to do some revisions for school, then I'll be drawing alot tonight.

Expect a 2/3 AM update ! ( well, 2/3 in France ! ^^ )

Hope I'll not be too tired to do this.

See ya ! =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there Shad-

Like everyone's saying you're on the right track, except perhaps you should add some still lifes into the mix as most of the stuff you're doing now is line-oriented and some practice with tone will even things out.

Keep going!

Sink into syncronicity, thinking in links. Drinking ink, crinkling blank foreheads and squinting and blinking at things

My Sketchbook
    Mad Spartans!!!:
    Creusa
    n1frit
    Liberty
    Hu-ha
    Deviantart: http://raphire.deviantart.com/

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Raphire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Raphire I think - or when going through your output I noticed that I thought that your spheres and more simple renderings were almost more interesting workwise as you did these right any many instances - yet with much of the rest, including the eye in #47 you for example don't follow the shape when you hatch/shade - but do straight lines over curved surfaces for example. it could in theory work, but currently it doesn't.

I understand why as you are struggling with getting things right that quality of line and how the line flows becomes secondary - but if you spent some of the time on still life and simple shapes it would probably benefit you a great deal.

While I think you would manage by focusing on people and anatomy - many schools start with still life and more still life before you are even allowed to do life drawing - and while I'm not that rigid I do understand why to some degree.

but then you could prove me wrong ofc

Either way good out put and keep working

49. The Following User Says Thank You to dan liimatta For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.