• stridiggio

0 0%
  • jaunay

8 20.00%
  • Koh

1 2.50%
  • Flame Unquenchable

5 12.50%

Thread: C.O.W. #207 ,the Healer. VOTING!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #207 ,the Healer. VOTING!

C.O.W. #207 the healer_Voting!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #207 VOTING

Topic: the healer

Deadline for the voting: march 30th

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by (lark; March 23rd, 2011 at 11:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: porcupine

Concept: The Flying Leech of Exandorra.

Ever since the discovery of Exandorra and it's inhabitants, humans gained a new powerful tool in medicine in the form of a flying leech that lives there. When the leech is about to feed it regurgitates gastric fluids that break down the the Exandorran wildlife but to humans it has an almost magic properties, healing even the most severe of wounds. The leech is now used both on the battlefields and in hospitals and while it is a unpleasant experience it has saved thousands of lives.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to porcupine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Fragoso

Concept: La Moule Denté

Binomial nomenclature: Devora Microbes

For how long can humanity go without paying attention to things that are right in front of it? If you ask the Devora Microbes, he might answer you: for about four thousand years.

Mankind has had an active presence in Algeria for at least four millenia, and it wasn't until World War II that the Devora Microbes' healing properties became fully apparent to mainstream medicine.

This small desert creature of nocturne habits known by the Algerian people as "la moule denté" feeds on common microbes directly through his mucosa, and has maintained a symbiotic relation with goats for as long as can be remembered. Its white protuberances, which rendered it its common name, are actually paws with which he firmly attaches himself to large wounds.

The blue strings which come out of it (a delicacy in some algerian tribes to this day) perform a very decent stitching job on the wound, with the purpose of closing it to perfectly fit his small mouth.

Though entirely blind, la moule denté's antennae can perceive the smell of fresh blood from up to five hundred meters.

When war came to Algeria in 1940, german artillery bombardments released a quantity of human blood never before seen, or smelled, in northern Africa. After that it didn't take long for french doctors in dire need of supplies to realize that soldiers "bit" by la moule denté developed no infections, and actually had their wounds stitched, to a certain extent at least.

The light at the end of its tail turns a very bright red when all microbes have been eaten by the Moule. The colour and intensity of the light are actually a side effect of a chemical reaction, known to release a pheromonic sign to nearby rival Moules that the feast is done and that there is no use in competing for that particular wound anymore. When used as a medical aid, the Moule's the red light indicates that its job is done.

"I like criticism, but it must be my way."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 531 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Si_Swe

Concept: Emerson's Bacteria #0952

After years of testing aggressive cancer treatments, Dr. Adrienne Emerson finally discovered formula #0952. The bacterial creature, when injected into the bloodstream, would seek out tumors and cancer cells, and begin to eat away at them. The treatments were proven effective on most types of cancer. Once the tumor was eaten away, the bacteria would begin to attack the previously cancerous areas, causing mild pain as a side effect, however, the bacteria has proven much easier for the body to rid itself of, than the cancer cells. A vaccine was quickly developed for #0952, once the greater part of the cancer had been removed. Emerson's Bacteria is not 100% effective, but, when supplemented with radiation therapy, is the safest and most viable cure for cancer we have at the moment.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Artist: Jaunay

Concept: Mushpop - Insecta: Coleoptera Coccinellidae Coprinus Comatus
    The mushpop, although small shouldn’t be underestimated, it has several uses for the druid on their everyday adventures. Firstly the Mushpop is scouted out by looking in fields of mushrooms, the creature exhibits a red mushroom like cross on it’s back, symbolic and recognizable, this cross can be removed for emergency sealing of cuts and wounds. After the cross has been removed there’s is a gel inside the creature that it uses as a food source converted from the natural resources around the mushpop, this would kill the creature but the health benefits are well worth the poor creatures resources.

-Red

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Koh

Concept: Salve Hound

The Salve hound, uses pustules of healing salve that form on it's back to aid in combat, if he needs to he can burst them like a porcupine to heal surrounding allies.

They are often used in wars and skirmishes as trained war hounds, using their razor sharp teeth to shred enemies while aiding their allies.

They serve as the most basic form of field medic , each is donned with a metal collar to signify the relationship between the hound and their controller.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  COW#207_Flame_Unquenchable.jpg
Views: 1643
Size:  269.8 KB

Description:

The Medic Hopper serves as an important part of search and recovery. The "Hoppies" as many troopers call them serve mainly in the role of stabilization of wounded.
    They can move into hostile territory and retrieve fallen combatants without use of machinery, and have superior trauma capabilities.

In civilian roles Medic Hoppers are mainly used for search and rescue operations and care flight operations where conventional aircraft have limited or no access, or
    where an intelligent mind is needed to recover victims.

Medic Hoppers have a unique sac located under their abdominal carapace that produces a bioluminescent fluid that is very effective in stabilizing and inducing natural
    healing [often referred to as the Healing bladder, or Med Sac].

The natural healing sac was bio-engineered extensively over many years to produce the healing syringes and oxygen umbilical and mask that are a staple in todays
    breeds. In previous incarnations of the Medic Hopper, the creatures were taught to insert the patient with the head exposed, but this posed troublesome for patients
    with head injuries. Evolution of the Medic Hopper has solved this problem.

Current Medic Hoppers are equipped with several self producing sedatives and restorative drugs, and are trained extensively in how to monitor a patients life signs
    via their oxygen umbilicals. Rate of breathing and heart rate can be measured within the healing bladder. Truly the Medic Hopper is a much valued ally within the
    medical field and a miracle of nature and science.

Last edited by Flame_Unquenchable; March 23rd, 2011 at 10:46 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    polls up.

bit of a small turn out but good job everybody!

voted for my fellow mod Si_Swe. one of the best pieces I've seen from you. you're improving a lot lately dude!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    didn´t vote, although all look good i didn´t see any of them really nail what i understand as healing creature.
    good job everyone who participated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Si_Swe, I love the way the background disolves into a view of microbial matter. Plus the little bugger is awesome.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Flame_Unquenchable For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys voted for Si_Swe.. nice modernized view on a healer creature and the best rendering

17. The Following User Says Thank You to emerging For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Lark, Flame and Emerging. Awesome take from all, but Si_Swe got my vote. Not been on CA for long but seen great improvement in your art.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work everyone, I'm with ninety9, no-one really hit the nail on the head but great effort anyways everyone. Looking forward to the next round. And I'll work on it from the start time this time, yay!

Will you be entering the next round emerging even thought you're running it?

-Red

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Porcupine, I'm a bit dismayed that yours isn't faring better in the polls; it was a close runner-up for my vote. I like that the creature is both slug-like and vaguely flower-like at the same time. Paired with the description it seems an alien mix of ugly, beautiful, dangerous, helpful, disgusting, and salvation. Keep up the good work.

I voted for Si_Swe both for the rendering and for the concept; it was very similar to the angle I would have used if I'd had time to create something for this round. The little translucent tendrils really lend a feeling of microcosm to the image.

My Illustrated Lovecraft Bestiary project
    Deviantart account
    My ConceptArt Sketchbook
    For freelance and commission work: h.manzee (a) gmail dot com

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eclectix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaunay View Post
    Nice work everyone, I'm with ninety9, no-one really hit the nail on the head but great effort anyways everyone. Looking forward to the next round. And I'll work on it from the start time this time, yay!

Will you be entering the next round emerging even thought you're running it?
    Hey man, yeah possibly but probably will start on it on monday or something lol

24. The Following User Says Thank You to emerging For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This round made me kinda sad and actually feels like the straw that broke the camels back. I've been annoyed several times when it's completely ignored that people do not follow the brief and with this round it makes 2 times of the last 4 rounds where someone is completely off the brief and get top votes.

With the Bright Purple with Supersonic Hearing it was stated (several times if I'm not mistaken) that it should have pelt or furry hide and a beetle is 1 vote from victory and here with this challenge to make something that is used on the battlefield in times of war and in the hospitals in times of peace a cancer-treatment is winning.

Now don't get me wrong. Both the bug and that micro-surgeon are very nice images and should they have followed the brief I wouldn't mind see them as winners!

I love COW and I use it to practice to come up with a design fitting the clients needs and to follow deadline and I've had great fun here and got lots great feedback but I feel that way COW have turned out it no longer feels professional so I think I'll just go draw elsewhere for a while, with hope that things will change and get better again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by porcupine View Post
    This round made me kinda sad and actually feels like the straw that broke the camels back. I've been annoyed several times when it's completely ignored that people do not follow the brief and with this round it makes 2 times of the last 4 rounds where someone is completely off the brief and get top votes.

With the Bright Purple with Supersonic Hearing it was stated (several times if I'm not mistaken) that it should have pelt or furry hide and a beetle is 1 vote from victory and here with this challenge to make something that is used on the battlefield in times of war and in the hospitals in times of peace a cancer-treatment is winning.

Now don't get me wrong. Both the bug and that micro-surgeon are very nice images and should they have followed the brief I wouldn't mind see them as winners!

I love COW and I use it to practice to come up with a design fitting the clients needs and to follow deadline and I've had great fun here and got lots great feedback but I feel that way COW have turned out it no longer feels professional so I think I'll just go draw elsewhere for a while, with hope that things will change and get better again!

Although I do not agree that this round the winning entry did not follow the brief I do agree that this kind of thing exists especially in CHOW.. if you go look when the voting poll is up, i can guarantee you that it is not the work that follows the brief the most that will win - it will be the prettiest image. It is a problem on concept art but cant do anything about it. You think like an individual who will be very valued in an industry environment where you must deliver what is being asked of you with highest precision. I know for a fact that no matter how beautiful your work is if it's off topic/idea your employer will tell you to change it. So in my eyes, it is better to not win the CHOW or COW but know that you are a better fit for an industry position. Concept Art org contests are far from determining whether you would be able to do that or not. Trust me man, creature of the week is really good compared to CHOW. Chow is very very biased. A lot of people who go there to vote dont even freaking read what the character has to be and just go for the prettiest render. We had a similar discussion just recently and i brought his up in CHOW before. And one of my friends was outraged by how the voting was going and had to speak up so these people here started calling her a troll and shit like that. As if she has no right to express her opinion and let the truth out there. She was faced with comments like "and who are you? you dont even have a sketchbook or whatever on CA" - like that matters? like all the other people who vote for those pretty images and keep giving their opinions on how beautiful those works are, are all professional artists and directors who know their shit.

There is this culture that exists on the forums. Seems like people make web friends on here and then become fans of certain individuals and just keep voting for them jsut because they are known to have great rendering and several stars. It is kind of like that in music industry - you often see these mainstream artists who get so much attention and money but some artists who are a lot more unique and interesting dont get nearly as much recognition. This is the reason i want to try cghub for weekly contests. I wonder if cghub crowd is just as biased or not.

CHOW is definitely more challenging because there is a lot of talent on there but it is hella biased. No matter how self critical you are sometimes, you still do not get a good feeling when someone wins over you who failed to portray the character as the brief suggests. Trust me, ive been in that situation before. I am sure a few people felt the same as you and i did. I just think a lot of it has to do with the fact that even though this is an art community a lot of people here are either selftaught, never worked in the industry or never had a higher art education so they do not know how to properly judge a work in this kind of context.

So to sum up this community here likes to idolize certain individuals and almost become like, fans? Nothing wrong with being a fan but being a fan is very unfair to others in a contest kind of setting. People start thinking that there is something wrong with their artwork so they start trying to please the crowd and work not towards achieving the piece that follows the brief closely but towards voters' biased opinions. This is not good but what the hell can we do? Maybe create a forum seminar on how to properly vote for entries? hahah i am sure those people will feel offended by that because it is straight up telling them "you do not know how to critically vote for art work so you need to learn now".. they all have this delusional perception that they know their shit lol..

Like go to CHOW wip thread see even by the "thanks" people get. Some work has absolutely NOTHING to do with the brief and they still get a LOT of thanks just because the image looks pretty. Well, excuse me, but having a lot more freedom as to what you are creating is quite easier than following the topic dead on. SO in my opinion, those kind of entries that win - FAIL. I never saw this before i started participating in weekly tournaments a lot. But it is a shame that this is how it is. IT is even more of a shame that we dont have much say and the crowd is "always" right.

The problem with things here is that if the image is very beautiful but almost does not follow the brief it will still be accepted to the final poll which is big bull shit. If a work that is very poor in rendering is following the topic dead on, it has a lot less chance to be accepted than the work that has crazy ass rendering and does not follow the brief. Anyway, i am done with my rant lol. But this is an issue that does bug me sometimes so i just HAVE to pitch in my two cents.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emerging For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this round thought porcupine i do not believe anything like that has been breached

used on battlefields during wartime, and within hospitals in times of peace

Hospitals are part of the brief. Whether the healer creature has to heal open wounds within the hospital during peace does not state. I guess its the wording too. It seems that the creature has to have an ability to be used in BOTH battlefields and hospitals. If so, then the best concept here is by fragoso because it would fit both settings perfectly. But i guess its a good idea to ask this question before everyone starts painting to make sure what is allowed and what is not

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emerging For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    emerging: It's very true what you say and I've have seen it in CHOW often (I use to look at the finals and it is a shame indeed. I currently go to university to become a graphic artist in the game industry and our teachers tells us over and over about how the most important thing is to deliver what's asked of us.

I suppose it's the way things work and I suppose no matter what the prettiest picture will win, but I think much of the irritation and frustration could be avoided if the moderators gave briefs that are either impossible to misunderstand or open subjects free to interpret and also if they actually excluded entries that didn't fit the brief from the poll.

This one, the way it was worded it really sounded like it was required to have a use both in war and peace, if not you are right and the brief was followed, but easy to misunderstand!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to porcupine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phew i didnt know there was so much going on in here!

to be honest I only started my entry on the 23 and submitted it by the end of the day, so I can see how I didnt properly fit the hospital aspect of the brief. I suppose we could imagine or I could have spent more time thinking over my creature better instead of painting something that's pretty and a copout to be honest.

But I agree with both emerging and you porcupine, I've observed these things too, I am most grateful that people are willing to speak out when things like this occur because it puts us back in the true nature or answering a brief, which for professional work is a must.

-Red

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.