Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #207 ,the Healer. WIPs Thread

Name:  cow rules post 200.jpg
Views: 4907
Size:  250.3 KB

For more info and details about the rules go here:

http://www.concepyart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110879

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #207, the Healer

topic:

ROUND#207, the Healer

this weeks creature is a very handy little beastie to have on your side. used on battlefields during wartime, and within hospitals in times of peace. the creature you're designing this week has the natural ability to heal ailments in humans using a part of its biology.

design the healing creature!

the way this creature heals people is up to you. it could secrete a fluid that mends wounds, its saliva could be a quick cure for nausea, it could just be easily trained to do on the field traditional medicine, or some other curing ability you can come up with. get creative!

Deadline:

March 23rd 9:00pm PST (GMT -8 )

finals go here: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...96#post3064496

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh, I like this idea, I didn't complete or even come close to on the last one. My gf and I fostered a blue pit bull pup so I had my hands full. But he's all better now, and hopefully people will adopt him. And I will have a little less on my plate and a Little more time to fin my drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm thinking about familiars for fantasy characters, something along those lines. *off to research*

-Red

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes I think a healing creature is very very useful in war HMMMM Interestingly

account deleted

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi

being this beastie could possibly be taking medical supplies into the battlefield, I take it we could maybe give him gadgets? just re-capping on the rules as it says No accessories.
    Nice brief, as I want to do less aggressive creatures these days. :=)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well im not sure if im gonna have time to join this one, but i really like this week's theme, here are some ideas i have:

- a spiritual creature with some kind of glowing healing ability kind of like visible chakra healing

- a creature that takes the hurt persons and put them in some kind of indestructible transparent egg till they are healed.

- well this one is in the examples on the theme post, but i cant not imagine a weird creature doing taditional medicine, so that would be cool too

anyways lets see if i can make some time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok this is what i made so far, What do you thinkm which one should continue ??? I like more than 5 but ... The first three are floating (flying)

account deleted

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cy-AN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Cy-AN: i like number 5

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure if I will be joining in this week or not. If I do manage to find the time, I may do something along the lines of a nano-sized creature, one that attacks injuries en masse like an army of little surgeons conveniently stored in a vial of liquid.

My Illustrated Lovecraft Bestiary project
    Deviantart account
    My ConceptArt Sketchbook
    For freelance and commission work: h.manzee (a) gmail dot com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Never posted in here before, been on the site a little over a week or so. I thought this was a really neat concept so here's my roughed in sketch. Crits are most welcome.

Name:  COW-207wip.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  46.5 KB

Battlefield medic bug, the lower arms push you into the abdomen sphincter. Inside are tentacles that hook over the nose and mouth to give air, and then when you're done healing up the 'ovapositer' like appendage deposits you again. It can also serve as medivac for relatively short distance jumps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello CA,
    Cy-AN: $3 or #5

I found this thread, this is my concept.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i join in and contribute $3 to number 5 for CY an as well haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is my first sketch. Its a small bug, it mainly heals wounds and that kind of stuff. Pretty much used during wars, as shown in image. I'm thinking maybe the important part of the creature's body is not beeing shown very well. Will try to work on that.
    Any ideas or crits?

"I like criticism, but it must be my way."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided to go for the time being with version 5 and this is my progress until now

account deleted

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Cy-AN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cy-AN
    Good design. I think you can render out more especial on its feet.
    fragoso
    Nice creature. I agree with you to show more of the creatures body. Perhaps crop of the picture to give the creature more focus.
    stridiggio
    I like it. I think you can render out more to clarify its anatomy.
    Flame_Unquenchable
    Good start.Perhaps push the design a bit more. May be show how its healing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure if I'll be able to participate by Wednesday, considering all the other projects I have to do, but I was thinking of a creature like this.

It's sort of like a jelly-fish 'symbiotic parasite'. It attaches itself to a body and lives off of it, like a parasite, but the difference is that instead of just sucking blood/nourishment and dropping off it connects its own bodily system to the hosts (Blood and other fluids could go into it and back in the host all the way down to a neurological level)blahblahblah

Anyway, the way it helps is that wounded people who have an organ failure/lostone/bloodloss/etc, humans would patch up the wound and place this creature on their body, basically using its natural ability to serve as 'spare organs', able to keep a person alive even if they've lost a major part like their heart. Because it survives off the host, its body will attempt to supplement whatever the human is lacking. This buys doctors time to get a permanent organ donor or fix whatever. The creature floats in a sort of hibernated state until something draws close.

That's the concept, I know the picture is what matters most D;
    Hope I can work on this and good luck to you all

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    stridiggio
    Nice so far! It's clear what's happening so far but like JanJager said, just build up the forms more and define it. It still has that digital blur

Cy-AN
    Looking cool, I can already imagine how it works! I'm assuming people would lay in its chairlikebackthing. I'm not sure if we have to focus on conveying how the creature actually heals or just on the creature itself, but maybe show it in action. A body contour would also put its size in context. Can't wait to see the finish!

fragoso
    Nice picture set up so far! Right now I'm just imagining it walking over wounds with its light and them just sort of being healed. Maybe some shots of whatever body part its using to heal actually mending the wounds together, or magic if its using magic. The creature is paramount so feel free to crop in at a different angle! Other than that, take photo reference of your arm/hand/background guy and maybe put the soldiers in the trench if that is a trench battlefield scene.

Flame_Unquenchable
    I think you have the figure developed really well so far, the form and values read well, though they can be pushed. Funny thing is, until this very moment I did not notice the tiny humans. xD Maybe looking up physics is going too far for picturemaking but I was thinking about this http://galileoandeinstein.physics.vi...s/scaling.html the implications of creating a massive creature, especially one that seems similar to common smaller ones. Also, think about how it exists in the world outside of when its healing, this reminded me of Starship Troopers. The small creatures moved quick but the big ones could barely go anywhere, either serving as mortars or in the queens case, staying underground. I brought that up because, imagine if a massive creature could move/fly fast. They'd be able to traverse the world in no time or (if you apply what they said in that link "a giant flea can only jump 3 feet and a shrunken human could jump the same amount as a normal one"-- which is crazy xD ) they'd barely move at all!
    Too much thinking, I'm just writing so much because I like the idea and want to see where you take it. Forms are good, idea is interesting, just go over any loopholes in your design and decide what has to stay and what you could do without. =]

I definitely gotta do the same for mine!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OStork For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I may jump in on this one. Not sure, but here's a few silhouettes I made for the round.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I made ​​a little progress

account deleted

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi nice designs folks

Cy-AN Cool concept, perhaps throwing in a light source would perhaps help your design along. Also the perspective looks a little off at the mo but part from that its coming along nicely.

Si Swe Interestin silhouettes, it intrigued to see where and how you develop these (i.e, You should def participate this round ;p)

OStork Your idea was almost exactly the same as mine ;D, bit ear;y for crits at the mo but i look forward to seeing your concept develop!

fragoso Good start, have an experiment with lots of different thumb nails till you feel good about the composition and the idea. This will help you alot when it comes to rendering and how well your design reads. I like the idea of a bug which heals wounded soldiers. Perhaps showing more of the wounded soldier would help, and show what it is this bug is healing, as at the mo its abit unclear.

Stridiggio Interesting concept dude, its a good first start. I'm reading it as it's just killed the dude at the mo though. Be sure to play around with your colour choices and its surroundings to help the mood and how well it reads.

Flame Unquenchable Good first sketch, be sure to play with composition on this to show its hugh scale. Also, adding darker colours to the legs generally helps ground your design and project scale when used in the right context. You should also show how this thing heals with the tentacles and hooks as you described.

Also, I have a question for the mods. I was wondering where the rules stand using collage and paint overs as part of your design? In similar ways to MatejaPetkovic
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ghlight=Mateja

Thanks

26. The Following User Says Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is what I've got so far!

My first creature of the week.

This is the salve hound, he has pustules of healing salve that grow on his back haha.

Should be more explanatory when it is colored.

I made him have buff strangely humanoid arms, for fun, I was thinking he walked around like a monkey or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think we are gonna see some very interesting creatures in this final!

Here's my take on it. It will heal in some disgusting way involving gastric fluids, or something like that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little further, trying to figure out a way to re paint in the pustules on it's back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Si Swe: I favor this silo from your page that you posted. Just a suggestion. Good stuff!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Lege1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was pretty bummed I didn't have time to jump in last week since the topic was so cool!

This week is quite interesting too! I like the variety of directions everyone is going with this topic from microscopic nano-creatures to giant insects!

Flame_Unquenchable I like the concept of the creature flying away once it picks up the wounded. You are off to a good start, maybe you could shift the composition down a bite so we can see more the creature's wings? I know this is a WIP.

stridiggio
    Nice start! I like the almost mosquito-like direction you are going with the straw going into the wounded soldier.

stridiggio Looking good! I like the light on it's tail. Does it heal the wound by secreting something from it's mouth?

Cy-AN Very unique creature, can't wait to see it finished!

OStork
    Cool idea! a creature that acts as a spare organ is very original!

Si_Swe Hope you have a chance to jump in! I'm liking the silhouette on the far right on the 2nd row. The microscopic nano-creature idea is very cool! Ah and now I see that Lege1 has picked out the same one.

Koh
    Coming along nicely! He looks very loyal.

porcupine
    Haha I like the healing in a very disgusting sort of way! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

So here is my WIP so far, it's still pretty rough.
    This creature has large marsupial-like sacks on the sides of it's body that act as embryonic chambers to carry it's young in during pregnancy, when the infant is developed the top of the sack opens and the baby can crawl out for short periods of time but returns to the fluid filled pouch like a baby kangaroo until it is old enough to be on it's own.

The fluid in the pouch is very high in antibodies and nutrients to help support and heal the baby during it's first years of life. When humans first domesticated these creatures they quickly found that the pouches also act as idea healing chambers for wounded humans and quickly begin using the creatures on battlefields to heal and transport wounded soldiers.

Crits welcome!
    Good luck this week everyone!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to volscalkur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WIP

This creature hovers over the battlefield healing your wounded with the magic dust it emits from wings and tail.

Thinking of changing its colour to something more purplish. Left arm and right hand looks fucked, gona sort that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnj View Post
    WIP

This creature hovers over the battlefield healing your wounded with the magic dust it emits from wings and tail.

Thinking of changing its colour to something more purplish. Left arm and right hand looks fucked, gona sort that.
    Hahaha, that is awesome!.

I love the expression on it's face, I don't know if you meant for it to look happy but it makes me feel good.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Koh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for this, but i remember the days when cow was so popular, and had so many cool entries, what happened, did people became so lazy, or all of them have so much job that they can't participate?

M

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's what Ive got so far. Ive been trying to show the creature's anatomy better. Still working on that. Im not sure Ill be able to finish it on time though.

"I like criticism, but it must be my way."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My entry may not make it on time, but lets hope i can get something out in time. I'm combining this weeks CHOW and COW. What creature healer would a post apocalyptic paladin have?

-Red

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1