Illustrator work...

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Illustrator work...

So I am not too comfortable in the cartoony/cutsey area. I personally tend to work more towards the realistic, but here we go. Here is something that I am working on that I would appreciate comments/crits.

Taking an image from my sketchbook and working it in illustrator.
    WIP

Original sketch

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Yeah I can never do cutesy either. It looks like a good first attempt. The colors and linework seem good. The character design doesn't look real considered. You just went with your first sketch--you should probly do a dozen more ideas for what the squid(?) could look like.

Also, the narrative here isn't very clear. Why is the squid looking at him like that? Is the fish sensing his presence just at this moment--if so why didnt he see him sooner?

More specifically, the eyes on both of them make them look like they suffer from severe insomnia.

Oh and is the fish takin a shit??

Thanks
    Yes. Yes it is.

I think the eyes have something to do with my common lack of sleep. I might be projecting a bit.

And I have to agree. It was just a grab from my sketchbook to try to figure out Illustrator.

Thanks for the comment.

Thanks
    Hey there! I know what you means by having a hard time drawing cute stuff...sometimes the simplest things are the hardest things to draw...! ( I think I might have said that at least 5 times over the past 3 days on the forum...!lol... i need to get new ideas....)

but i had a look at your portfolio and I think you achieved it well in the illustration section in howard like the local brew, I also like the face of Bernard and mortimer.

I know you were trying to test out the possibilities of illustrator... wich i'm pretty scared of doing myself.... vectorials and all that jazz... but as far as drawing goes I think youve got a good thing going on already in the pieces i mentioned... Now its up to you to try and convert it into a vectorial drawing. Even though you have to simplify the shapes, keep in mind the lines.
    dont know if any of this help but good luck anyways!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bai Fan View Post
    Yes. Yes it is.
    That ain't no goldfish poop. Google what it looks like if you need to draw it.
    Granted it doesn't look really humorous, but...

Well, for the image itself, the inking is the main thing that bothers me. The tentacles, which I would see being the closest to the viewer could have much thicker outlines, and the "head" has that one really thick outline...
    Remember:

If you want both of them (fish and octo-thing) to be in the same level, so to speak, and still have really wide range of outline thickness, at least try to balance it by doing it everywhere equally instead of having one thick outline in one place.

And vector tools really help you to keep the outlines clean, so try to use them.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Joelle:
    Thanks much. Something that I am trying to do while bringing in my stuff to illustrator is to keep some of the more sketchy line work. It takes longer, but I want to see how it turns out. I don't want to lose what I liked from the original sketch, but I want it to have the clean illustrator look.

TINY:
    Yeah, I should clean up the line weight.

What do you mean by vector tools? I am doing everything with the pen tool in illustrator. That is kind of a vector tool.

And about the goldfish poop, I was not really wanting the realistic strand coming from the anus. I was hoping for something a bit more subtle and funny.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bai Fan View Post
    What do you mean by vector tools? I am doing everything with the pen tool in illustrator. That is kind of a vector tool.
    I personally use Photoshop so the names might not be same (and it's been time since I used Illustrator), but like stuff with anchor points, and modifying them to remove choppyness. If you do use the anchor points already, you might be using too many.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Ah, yeah. To a point that is intentional, but I do still need to go back and smooth some out.

Thanks
    I like the linework in your image. I dont know if its worth the extra effort to make it look sketchy or not--thats up to you.

You can do work like this in photoshop too. I personally cant stand using illustrator. It makes me pull my hair out. The strength of illustrator is those clean lines so if youre not going to use them, then you might as well use photoshop(if you prefer it). But having said that, your lines DO look clean..just with a little bit of character added.

Ok good luck

p.s. You can see what I mean in the images I did in my concept.org portfolio link--the black and white images have lines but its all photoshop.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.