Sketchbook: LM - Scratches in the dark - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: LM - Scratches in the dark

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Karantina
    haha, oh god, 3 months time!? Thats beyond my wildest most optimistic expectations. Though I really appreciate that.

@Valyavande
    Well stop by again later and hopefully my progress i'll have caught up to you a bit >.< ,

-----------
    quick update, will attach more later before midnight.

Study of a Roman bust. Its messed up cause he looks fairly young and has a godawful hairstyle. But Its closer than I expected it to come out so i'm happy.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Little-Maiden; January 30th, 2012 at 06:18 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Combination of animal vs. people gestures.

2 Value studies (the one below is a WIP that I'll work on over the course of the next few days) and the female torso study took quite awhile over 2hrs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update, ChoW char i'm working on and a bit more work on the female value study I posted yesterday.

Last edited by Little-Maiden; February 2nd, 2012 at 06:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Maiden View Post
    Thanks! I hope all this dedication pays off in the future and I can start posting some awesome work. Atm though I feel terrible scared to do anything from imagination cause I just feel I'm not ready to do anything like that. (everytime I think creatively I fall flat on my ass when I attempt to put it on paper >.<) Nonetheless I'll keep putting more and more and hopefully before I realise it i'll be considered pro
    If you keep it up I'm CERTAIN you will!

A few years ago I felt WAY more confident about rendering from observation too...then friends challenged me to create more from imagination. I'm still on that journey but feel I'm improved...or at least I enjoy my own results a LOT more since I first started trying. So I'd encourage you to keep exercising that muscle!

Anyway...it's great to see your studies cover a such wide range (gestures, figures, vehicles, perspective, objects, shading etc).

This turned out very well!

Ciao fer now

- A man diligent and skillful in his work will stand before kings -
    - All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty -

"You can't design what you don't know." Jeff Watts (as seen in Windmaker's SB)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jephyr X For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Jephyr X

Your advice and encouragement is really welcome. Thank you

I agree, I'm going to proactively start working from imagination more and more, hopefully I'll get used to it. Right now drawing from imagination makes my drawings feel a bit...numb. As if they're lacking some magical element that I can't yet grasp. But hey, can't learn if you dont try .

----
    update

Last edited by Little-Maiden; February 5th, 2012 at 10:28 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Little-Maiden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some gestures? silhouette drawings? not sure, but they weren't easy to do. I watched Dior's Haute Couture presentation for 2012 and did some quick (roughly 3 mins each with an extra 2 or 3 for minor corrections).

Then a value study and some reptile studies and velociraptor bone studies. I've never drawn a dragon before so this is prelim work towards that end.

Thinking about the current Chow. I didn't do much brainstorming on the previous one since my goal was just to meet the deadline to see if I could. Ill give more thought to this one.

Also did a tiny bit more work on the girl_sofa study above.

Last edited by Little-Maiden; February 6th, 2012 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bleh, feeling down and drawing is going through a rough patch. Well nothing but to bite teeth down and push through.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update

ChoW work resembles Stanley Lau's windrunner and Rob Powell noted. Need to change that, especially since I didn't use Lau's work as reference.

Also did some lips, and some sketching, testing out some pencils.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

argh, couldnt finish the CHOW this week, I'll upload what I did do in it though- I might finish it since I like her overall feel, but I'll probably take it in a different direction to the CHOW brief.

I also did a quick idea of what I wanted my EOW "Deaths Lobby" to look like had I finished it. I realise I'm really weak with environments. Its not so much that I'm awesome at figures or anything, I just realise that since I've been studying the human form more, my neglect of enviro work is showing in the gap. Well gonna try and close it more hopefully. Characters have to exist somewhere and a good background can really put more life into a character.

Also, some Scott Robertson "basic" cars, and gestures. Will upload a few traditional stuff later on closer to midnight or in my update tomorrow.
    ----------

This is still a WIP so its obviously not finished, if I do work on it some more I welcome crits and ideas on where I could take this now that I'm free from CHOW restraints
    Name:  2_12_CHoW#277_TimeAssassin.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  206.4 KB

Last edited by Little-Maiden; February 12th, 2012 at 10:38 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Little-Maiden For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi little-maiden.
    I hope you don't mind but I have written a blog post about your sketchbook. http://www.artfreck.com/art-reviews/...es-in-the-dark
    I will send you an note with some more information.
    Kick ass stuff. Keep up the hard work

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phoenicorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @phoenicorn

I'm very flattered that you chose to post about this humble SB of mine- Your article was really insightful and I browsed around further and your magazine is a surprisingly good resource. So I will certainly be looking forward to more articles and news in it.
    ---
    1hr photostudy? can it be called that if you use a ref but don't follow it exactly?

Nonetheless its supposed to be Daisy Lowe but halfway through I went off on a tangent doing my own thing.

Also, 2 pages of random gestures (mostly referenced) and I will update a self-portrait later on once I'm done with it.

*update*

I'm quite happy with this self-portrait. Its the first i've done in a few months and its better than all the previous attempts so its a good improvement. Still crappy...but better.

Last edited by Little-Maiden; February 14th, 2012 at 04:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

update.

the main thing today is 5 minute poses, half referenced, half imagination- all crap! *beats at his work with a fictional stick*

Nah, i'm actually pleased with a few, The imagination poses aren't great, but I think they are better than previous attempts- well at least they were easier to paint then earlier attempts

Will post something else closer to midnight- or as im usually lazy, in tomorrow's update.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy

a still life. I went on a lovely boat ride (12 hours at sea) just this Friday. I learned a few things, some of which you see here- also don't ever try drawing at sea. I got seasick so fast for trying to be faithful to my sketchbook. :p

This still life is, (i think) my best so far. I did observe everything seen here (fish included) however due to the scattered nature of those objects I had to imagine the colour and lighting myself, which proved to be a good exercise and made the process infinitely more enjoyable.

Also, a couple of gestures. Felt so weird doing those for some reason. I've done gestures for a year now and occasionally I'll still get days where it all feels off. The stylus doesn't sit right in my hand, the tablet feels scratchy, and the lines feel odd. Ah well.

Edit:
    Also dragons, I've never ever drawn dragons in my life before...well unless you count pre-school drawings.

This is my first attempt at some concepts for different dragons. As you can all see, it didn't turn out too good---better than I expected, but still shitty Custom brushes woohoo- Still I think its better to get an idea of skulls and such before attempting more dragons.

Last edited by Little-Maiden; February 20th, 2012 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stummbled on to your sketchbook yet again. Kick ass stuff as per usual. Kind of reminds me that I have to get my ass in gear if I am gonna get anywhere near your level.
    Keep up the hard work.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to phoenicorn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man good to see the scott robertson perspective studies. that's a great dvd series and it's an area of drawing which many people neglect to study. nice to see someone take the time to learn the technical stuff. keep up the good work!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Eightball_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for stopping by at my sb. I am totally impressed with your dedication with your studies - in fact you have inspired me to stop fluffing about and actually do some real studies myself. So I think I will join in on the current Spartan camp - yay! I started my 50 gestures tonight

23. The Following User Says Thank You to alizak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy some stuf

@phoenicorn
    Sorry for the late response, I have a "1 SB post per-day" and "only when theres something to show" rules that I apply here which I try not to break.

Nonetheless, If you feel theres catching up to do (trust me i'm not too far ahead of you I think) then I can only recommend consistency, its what gotten me this far and hopefully what will take me even further.

I couldn't crit your SB since you don't have one here but you're on the right track with working proportions out and such.

@Eightball_
    Thanks for stopping by! Scott Robertson studies can be tedious, especially when trying to go beyond abstract cubes leaves you banging your ahead on your desk. Still, practice makes perfect .

@alizak
    Glad you're inspired, i'll see you in Spartan Camp then!

----
    Some gestures for Spartan camp.

33 x 2minute gestures (will pull it up to 50 tomorrow) + 25x 5min +. It took longer than just bashing out from reference cause I stopped using reference at 10 5min gestures and did everything from that point on from imagination. I spent more time thinking on the pose than I did drawing them. I learned I still hate the lower leg and forearm more than other parts.

Last edited by Little-Maiden; February 22nd, 2012 at 06:34 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon

Some really horrible looking heads were done today. I thought I was better at heads, I didn't realise I was so weak. Dammit more work needs to be done! blergh.

Also a WIP which I've been working on for about 4 hours now. Most of which was spent trying to make skin look like skin rather than plastic. -.-

Will upload something closer to midnight I think.

Veg and Fruit Still lifes (15-45mins each)
    Name:  2_24_zuchini.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  59.2 KB
    Name:  2_24_stilllifepear.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  78.5 KB
    Name:  2_24_carrot.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  66.3 KB

Study observing my mom having a nap. You really do notice more from a live model.

Name:  2_25_momstudy.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  89.8 KB

Last edited by Little-Maiden; February 24th, 2012 at 07:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't beat yourself up! You are doing an amazing job with the amount of studies that you do - you will conquer the heads .

The digital piece is coming along nicely - I think the skin is looking quite good. The only thing that is bothering me is the arms - the left arm looks like it is quite a bit longer than the right and the right arm seems to like quite stiff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work, man. It's great you are studying such a wide variety of subjects.
    Keep working on your heads. The inability to draw a solid head will always hold you back as a professional until you own it.
    Sometimes your proportions are a bit wonky - always flip the canvas to see problems.
    I highly recommend Andrew Loomis's - heads and hands book. I've been skating on hands for a long time and now I'm finally getting around to really working hard at mastering them.
    Best of luck to you. Great work ethic goes a long ways, and you have it.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to lenzerwin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so many cool updates! And if you go on like that, I fear, that you will become better than me in no time! So slow down, or I will be sad
    I like your gesture drawings a lot. Don't forget studies of the anatomy, so that you can take the best out of them! And I'm impressed that you can draw so clean on the computer. My sketches lool always like a mess, so I do gesture drawings better on paper.
    And a yay! for self-portraits. Show us more, there's so much to learn from them!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to JuliaMetzger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Anatomy and heads, I hate them both but must master them!

@Lenzerwin I'm so lazy everywhere else in life that the very least the bearded dude in the sky could give me is some work ethic! XD

I have Loomis' head and hands, but in all honesty, I prefer the Riley method since it makes more sense to me in my head. Although the only one who has demonstrated the Riley method is on the Gnomon DVD from Ron Lemen drawing male heads.

I am however rediscovering Loomis heads and I feel like his method is starting to fall into place. As for hands, thats something I've always been reluctant to do, but, with Moleskine sketchbooks ordered i'll be doing more studies of those in the coming weeks.

@Valyavande
    haha, the words "better than me (you)" and "in to time" do not agree in my head I've still a long road to walk to catch you! Walk it I will though

I personally do not do good gestures on paper, ill try a few in the coming days but I started doing gestures heavily with the tablet and have gotten used to sketching them out digitally. Paper and pencil make me cringe (at least gesturally speaking)

Also, Thanks for the advice, I actually am taking a break from gestures and doing some anatomy and heads. Doing the gestures make me realise where I'm lacking in knowledge the most. As far as I can tell I haven't paid much heed to forearms and lower legs. So thats on the list of things to blister my hands over.

---Update_----

Some heads, (ugh wonky still) Some Arm anatomy from Hampton, aaand a piece I did. I still don't know how to speedpaint, but I'm endeavouring to get better at it. I got inspired heavily by some really good speed painters.

The digital piece started as a speed, but I started to labour on her face and it took longer than the hour I initially set out. Still not happy with her, but I learned a few things which is good. Still can't show depth even though I've read the various ways you're supposed to do it.

Last edited by Little-Maiden; February 25th, 2012 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that set of heads looks a bit better - you are improving with every post

33. The Following User Says Thank You to alizak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Alizak
    That is what i'm aiming for. Improvement post by post is a very important motivational goal I think I don't always do, but when I do it sparks that tiny flame of hope of being able to do awesome stuff soon. >.<

As for heads, yeah, I neglected heads for a couple of months and going back to them was odd and felt strange to say the least. Gonna focus more in the coming days.

Dammit! power outage and I missed my midnight (GMT) deadline! blaaargh.

head head head, Taking advice, I'm gonna work hard to understand the form. Hands as well. By the light i'll get hands down.

Also, an apple study which did NOT go the way I wanted it to.

Also action poses from a DVD for Spartan Camp.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The recent dude in the suit seems to have a squished right shoulder, that could probably be alleviated by PS's warp selection feature, which can pullout and bend parts of a painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Waow great dedication posting everyday, I love your characters 2 mins studies, but watch out sometimes proportion mistakes and draw methodically so that when you draw from imagination you do not make proportion mistakes.
    Sometimes it's more important to think about the drawing you are making (or the study you're making than to make a hundred of them, i mean if you understand what lies behind anatomy form and gesture, you can reproduce anything from head.
    Anyway keep up the hard work you're becoming greater and greater (just watch the progress you've made in one year it's awesome)

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Feil Magnus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those action poses look really good - especially the girl jumping.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to alizak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post More snags in the road.

@GeniusFetus - um thanks, Although the warp tool is something I avoid for practice sakes. If I can't bring a shoulder out with just hands and stylus resorting to tricks is a cheap way to go about it. I'll do that sort of stuff when i'm competent enough to do it without if you know what I mean.

@FeilMagnus - Despite the year of progress I feel like it should be more. Maybe i'm just impatient -.- I agree with the thinking on what you study aspect of learning though. Its easy to just slip away and drone away at gestures and study without really gaining much.

@Alizak

Thanks, she was the most difficult of those studies.

----

AAAAND.....

meh

Didn't do much today, sleeping hours trashed so I used most of today for recovery. Did the bare minimum two hours- then I did some speedpainting in grayscale. WHICH FAILED SO BADLY *breaks down and cries*

God I suck at silhouettes and speedpainting. I just don't understand it at all. The idea slips from my grasp, the brushes feel odd, the clock ticks too fast, I wake up at night in cold sweats- oh sorry -.-;

But yeah, speedpainting is something I need to get used to but as of yet have zero clue how to get around doing right.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I hope you don't mind if I pour some of my often totally smart but usually chaotic thoughts and advices I never follow but I should
    Hey the day came when I actually post a comment here, not just in Spartan Camp. Hopefully you don't end up like some other ones who put something in their SB and I tear it apart using a lot of my skills and time and energy, way more I spend on drawing... But I better don't use self criticism here, we both have an insane amount of it, if the two meet while doing their very best, it could make a black hole I'm sure.

I like your graceful figures. As I told you in Spartan Camp, there are flaws but they are already looks pretty nice. But I always had a feeling you could use flow, loose strokes, liveliness. Your longer figures shows this more, they aren't live beings, but a little stiff dolls. I swear I tried to say it nicely but I can't To me, looking at floooowy stuff (and using my hands too, not just my eyes ) helped, my figures are more flowy now.

Good luck to your head studies, don't lose heart, it's a hard topic just like the human body in general. Don't forget to play with expressions and funny faces soon enough, though I don't know if you can stand drawing those neutral heads from different angles, I always wanted to scream after I tried the Loomis heads and failed miserable, just drawing without construction or using other methods from other masters worked better.
    I know you too little and it can affect this type of criticism/giving advice.
    But maybe you don't even need advices. I know I dont, I need to PRACTICE. Just like you do. I deeply admire you for drawing zillion figures and whatnot every week.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your gestures are looking fantastic - how much time did you spend on each one in the last post? I don't think the speed paintings are too bad - the first one is a bit hard to read, but the second is quite clear. And the heads are coming along nicely - but I think the backs of the heads are perhaps not big enough.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to alizak For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 12