Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: LM - Scratches in the dark

Thanks
    @MasonJames88

Yes all my coloured work is digital, I don't have the lifestyle for traditional mediums (been moving around alot between Asia and Europe for family and studies) So the next best thing is a laptop and a medium sized tablet.

I do have to take a moment to thank you for the positive feedback its more than encouraging to say the least . As for the portraits, yeah I'm hoping to turn out realistic ones in the end, or at least at a professional level. As for your own problem with eyes, I suggest having the centre line in your drawings, It's tremendously important, and you can see in my own drawings where I've been to hasty/silly and ignored it. Personally I suggest drawing flat eyes on squares and trying to get them to fit to perspective- At least thats what I've found most helpful so far in getting them even looking.

Which leads me to that thought process. As far as I can see the Square is the most simple way of "seeing" things and anatomy is important to go hand in hand with simple shapes. I found myself drawing squares and spheres for awhile and thought that while i'm no master at basic shapes, they are only a tool to more complicated ideas. If a skull fits in a box, than all the pieces that make up the face/skull must also fit in that box. So knowing anatomy is knowing what those specific shapes look like and where they specifically go- at least thats the intention of those studies.

As for books, totally, I agree with you, i've got more than a few textbooks to pick up when I return to the UK, Loomis especially since that seems to be highly lauded by many.

Once again, thanks for posting, if you have a sketchbook i'd be happy to look at it as well mate- as one budding learner to another .

----

Now more 60 second sketches, these are really actually showing some progress, I find myself getting their sizes correct more easily, though I personally prefer 60-90 secs to the 30 secs, more relaxing I guess. . The last are just some sketches from imagination in a Sheldon/Vilppu style I guess, at least thats what I was influenced by.
    Last edited by Little-Maiden; April 19th, 2011 at 05:41 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 903 Posts
    Great start! looking forward to seeing you become a terrific illustrator, good job!

Thanks
    More poses- 60-90 secs.
    Last is a clip from my sketchbook- faces from imagination and other bits and ends.

Working on a still life so ill get that finished and put it up!

More studies in a bit

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Maiden View Post
    @MasonJames88

Which leads me to that thought process. As far as I can see the Square is the most simple way of "seeing" things and anatomy is important to go hand in hand with simple shapes. I found myself drawing squares and spheres for awhile and thought that while i'm no master at basic shapes, they are only a tool to more complicated ideas. If a skull fits in a box, than all the pieces that make up the face/skull must also fit in that box. So knowing anatomy is knowing what those specific shapes look like and where they specifically go- at least thats the intention of those studies.

As for books, totally, I agree with you, i've got more than a few textbooks to pick up when I return to the UK, Loomis especially since that seems to be highly lauded by many.

Once again, thanks for posting, if you have a sketchbook i'd be happy to look at it as well mate- as one budding learner to another .
    So you are using the cube shape, or box, as a way of lining up parts of the skull? Yes I thought that's what you were doing, because as the sketches go further down (to where the box is), it looks as though they get tighter and more together, so perhaps having things in a box helps to see them better.

Yeah i've heard of Loomis, I'll be checking out his stuff once i've gotten through alot of these non art related books around my home.

I will be getting my sketchbook up soon, i've got some photos taken, I just have to sit down and see what the quality is like when they are uploaded to my computer.

Thanks

Still Life of Marble Eggs, Mask and Books upon a Towel.

Finished! god this still life was tiring, not due to it being uninteresting, just because by the end I was nearly throwing the mask out and doing my best to not get bogged down into detailing the little intricate flowers drawn on it.

Frankly I had to lighten the mask a bit so people could see more of its inner shape, the blue lighting in my study is horrible for overhead shadows.

The eggs im proud of, the marble looks like marble! woohoo!

Anyhow: here we are:

Thanks

Red Riding Hood?

Heres a portrait, done without reference purely from imagination- I love spending hours on these things. Again not sure if they're helping But I think this is the best yet! Still i'm sure theres a million flaws I haven't spotted.

Please anyone who sees this, please post any links, good websites you may know of regarding how to handle face structure, i've done several skull studies but I seem to still miss something.

Cheers

-LM

Thanks

Eyes!

Some eyes, after I realised how badly the eyes are handled on the portrait above. I mean, disregarding the fact that the pupils are all wonky, and the problems with both eyes, I decided to get some studying done on them. Still they elude me though.

Thanks
    Value Study, new to this, so working digitally with black and white and grays is a but strange, I think I got it more or less correct.

Thanks

Loomis on Perspective

Woohoo first time working from Loomis!

From the book "Successful Drawing"

I find that perspective is a weird thing, even though i did these studies with ruler and compass, I still find it confusing whether active study, or constant application (through drawing from what you see) will teach me it.

Also some spheres with lines drawn for ref from Loomis' book on heads.

Either way, heres a couple, more to come
    Last edited by Little-Maiden; April 25th, 2011 at 01:06 AM.

Thanks

LM

faces >.> and a study from a screen cap (about 45 mins give or take)
    Last edited by Little-Maiden; April 25th, 2011 at 10:52 PM.

Thanks
    Some poses, some faces, and some perspective. Some referenced some not, plus some kind of storm, lady thingy I did as a warm up.
    Last edited by Little-Maiden; April 27th, 2011 at 12:51 AM.

Thanks

faces faces

First of loomis, 2nd just random from imagination

Thanks

Some practice?

Meh some random practice

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast