Sketchbook: LM - Scratches in the dark - Page 13
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: LM - Scratches in the dark

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Pete_Hidalgo Yes, I have done that, but it doesn't seem enough lol. -.- I'm at a stage where it seems like what i'm learning isn't sinking in. Depressing as hell. Nevertheless gotta keep rollin.

----

Stuff:

More anatomy stuff from my anatomy sketchbook. (I really hate drawing the ribcage, its awfully symmetrical and ridiculously complex.

Also an armour study and some gestures.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    updates

got a free trial of painter12 and was trying it out. Its so weird despite the brushes being designed to be closer to traditional mediums. It just doesn't seem to handle as well as PS; and I use the basic opacity hard round for most of my gestures. I cant get the same level of line accuracy with painter. Still gonna try it a bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep up your stuff , you're improving really well ! for your values studies, i suggest you to look at the painting as a whole, try to zomm out a lot or to look at the photoshop's thumbnail of your work, and see if you can directly see where the light is coming from, and stuff like that. i find that your values lacks lacks of contrast, all i can see is grey everywhere, without a kind of " direction" of the light, if you know what i mean ! anyway, keep it up !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kikindaface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Maiden View Post
    @Pete_Hidalgo Yes, I have done that, but it doesn't seem enough lol. -.- I'm at a stage where it seems like what i'm learning isn't sinking in. Depressing as hell. Nevertheless gotta keep rollin.

Hmmm. I think I know what you mean. Kind of like you know more that what your drawings are showing? (Or I am totally off- lol) .

What about more life studies? You have a pretty good grasp on the figure, what about a switch from the norm? Mixing things up? Could help, and sure couldnt hurt

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Hidalgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just came to say, Hello my friend! You'r doing fcking great and i wish you a-lot of free time for drawing and studying ^.^ btw the ribcage is awesome

Cheers!

SKETCHBOOK or MICHALMACKO.COM
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    You and only you, with your own sincere self-discipline, and effort, can make yourself an artist.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to eclip-se For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @kikindaface Thanks for the crit, i'll certainly need to focus on lighting a lot more. I tend to think about lighting at the start but lose track of it during the drawing process and it really shows.

Pete Hidalgo I often do studies with and without reference. Sometimes I do a middle ground between the two where I use reference for gesture and then overlay more detail from memory. Though i'm always disappointed with the results!. Well keep on drawing is the only remedy I guess

@Eclip-se Thanks for the praise! I'm actually not too happy with the ribcage! The depth of the thing doesn't show through. I'm glad you like it though!

----

This is supposed to be an update for yesterday but had internet issues and couldn't post till now-

So, some gestures- combination of 30, 60, 120, 300 and 5-10 mins. Then a Muscle study (Surface and sub-surface) of the Torso and back. Hope to post more later on!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ohhhhhh! These are lovely!

SKETCHBOOK or MICHALMACKO.COM
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    You and only you, with your own sincere self-discipline, and effort, can make yourself an artist.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to eclip-se For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really likin all the studies you've been doing. Makes me want to go and bang out a few pages.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kapil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely figure studies and anatomy study. The surface and subsurface? traditional and ink?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Hidalgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The anatomy! The lighting! The figures!!! Amazing!!
    Not too much to say right now, your are doing amazing so far. The value studies and anatomy is looking great! Keep it up!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph Church For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

@ec-lipse thanks man i try ^^;

@kapil hehe, do it mate, I've been lazy and busy as hell this past week to keep up as much as I want.

@Pete Hidalgo hehe I keep telling myself to stop drawing people and go to hard surfaces like cards but everytime i'm stuck on what to draw i always go for females since they're so enjoyable to draw. I admittedly need more variety though -.-

@Joe777k7 Thanks for the praise, but I'd have to disagree with you on the quality of my value studies. i look at them and can only see how off everything is lol. Ah shouldn't be so harsh on myself I guess

--------

busy busy bee has been away from the internets (business).

However! i did some minor stuff (never go a day without at least 3an hour of drawing even if its gestures and ellipses).
    So heres to uploading what I have. Keep trying to get back into a habit of daily posting but it can be easy to forget amidst other responsibilities .

I did more than a few of these colour studies but I didn't save all of them. So this is what I have.

First 4 are 15-30 mins. After that its longer times. Been trying to do things with the basic hard round. I rarely used custom brushes in an attempt to familiarise myself with a basic tool. I read its better to get used to one all rounder brush and then use other brushes to add a specific detail when needed.

Its not much tbh so now i'm disappointed with myself lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there matey

I have been lurking around your SB for a while now and have had nothing to crit really but thought I would leave a post to let you know that I am still a fan but have nothing constructive to offer at the moment as you seem to have a good handle on what you want from your art.
    So all I can do is offer ass pats and well done's with the rest of the world. Those last anatomy studies with the girl were brilliant (if slightly risky!) you got some good gesture and expression in them which is very cool to see.

all the very best to you and I look forward to being blown away by some more of your work very soon!

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy

@lightship 69 Thanks man, encouragement goes a long way and its been an uphill struggle recently with work and trying to improve. So crit or no crit, the fact that you took time to leave some encouraging "ass-pats" is certainly welcome and appreciated.

Update. Don't post as often lately, but been having major symmetry issues with work and it's getting me down. Vertical lines, flipping alot- it helps but it doesn't seem to eliminate the problem entirely for me

Practice is the only way to beat that problem I guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gonna try to do more speed paintings. It seems like a good way to practice quick value/colour judgements. I'm also pre-preparing a colour palette via guessing as well as only relying on basic brushes and using custom brushes when i hit a problem (such as clouds) but i'm trying to keep doing the majority with the basic round.

All below are between 30-60 mins long, using random refs from flickr. (with 10 mins for preparing colour palettes)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey There! Awesome studies, you have a good balance between line, value and color work, it is something i'm trying to balance as well. So, really got nothing to suggest, as you are way above me, lol. Anyways, keep it up!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Caio Chagas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Caio Chagas hehe, thanks mate, but i'm not as far ahead of you as you think. Wish I was , but thats not the case -.-

---
    update. Photorefs. Mainly spent time guessing colours and trying to get value right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im liking the studies! the pencil anatomy practices are great!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wasp

whew I swear hair is a pretty thing but jesus is it painful to get right when you have little clue about it. So here were two attempts. I ofc used Linda Berkgvists tutorials and looked at a few works by Melanie Delon who just does magic with skin, hair and anything she touches really. The first one came out awful. Messed up a lot in the foundation and so it came out weird as hell. Building on that I started a new study and took my mistakes and tried to avoid them. Still isn't perfect- but the difference between 1 and 2 is recognisable even under my usual over-self criticising scrutiny. Both were from imagination with sparse refs used (looking at hairstyles how they fall etc etc.)

Overall the studies took about 8 hours.

Wow talk about messing up foundation lol. this came out bad O.O
    Name:  8_20_Skin & Hair.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  93.1 KB

Second and better attempt.
    Name:  8_21_hair_2.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  196.4 KB

Last edited by Little-Maiden; August 21st, 2012 at 06:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whew, an extended study of skin and hair (again) this time I think the rendering came out better (yay for making a tiny step closer to realism). The head is messed up though. Study it as hard as I might the structure of the head is still something I haven't been able to iron out yet.

and an industrial design inspired material study. It wasn't so difficult but it was interesting to try and solve lighting a material. I don't think I got it to look right but it was a good exercise and the results turned out better than I hoped.

I sketched freehand then cleaned up with pen and lasso tools before colouring.

Both from imagination.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, much time passed since I was here...
    So you work on your head drawing skills now. Let's see the last one. The anatomy, as usual, is somewhat off. I don't feel like to release my inner critic here and now, you are a too skilled artist to have his mercy. But how am I supposed to help? I'm not even sure I can, I just notice flaws. The list of them would be quite long, even the proportions aren't okay, the eyes are big, the nose smallish, I noticed you tend to draw really small mouthes. The shoulders seem too small, no matter the angle and gesture, they can't be that tiny. I don't see the roundness of the eyes at all, especially the closer on is flat and I think I never saw an ear that was in this position, it tends to be tilted in a way that its top is definitely farther back. I'm sorry I can't learn English well enough
    The colors are kinda nice but all warm, the painting is almost monochromatic, not like it's necesserily a bad thing, it's hard to focus on everything at once anyway. I'd personally use a higher contrast for studies but I can't say you shouldn't aim at some kind of mood in your own paintings
    Keep it up but you will do it anyway.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You'r anatomy study are amazing!
    you have very confident line - really nice! also you'r pencil rendering.
    the last 2 colors are great - seeing the improvement in there.
    so keep keeping it up!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Chompi'n For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is lots of improvement here. I love the anatomy and figure studies, keep it up!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to pixel cheetah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angry

@ShiNIN: Valid crits, thanks. Yeah i'm still troubled by faces and my anatomy is still flawed; ah well Rome wasn't built in a day.
    Slowly creepin up though.
    You're right about small mouth and small noses. Draw what you know I guess. I have fairly small features compared to my face. So maybe the habit spawns from there. Well certainly will try to fix that in the future I guess.

---
    @Chompi'n: Thanks for stopping by mate. Glad to know that you see improvement. Always good to be reassured that you're moving forward in the eyes of others.

---
    @pixel cheetah: hehe, will do, getting a drive to do mroe lately. Hopefully I can keep it up!

Well some abstract surface studies and a couple of car doors (mostly referenced). For some reason I find the abstract glossy/reflective surfaces easier to render than the referenced car doors. I'm not sure which turned out better, but I can say that I had more difficulty rendering the car doors than i did the abstract shapes.

Also a quick (about 1 hour) portrait.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome stuff once again. The abstract renderings are awesome.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Hidalgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've made incredible progress in the last 7 pages. Amazing.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Junpei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon Update 8_29_2012

@Junpei Thanks, I hope I can keep on improving cause it feels very stagnant lol.

@Pete Hidalgo Thanks man the abstract renderings are actually very simple. Especially in simple geometric shapes Try doing them by referencing and it's another ball game!

-----

So some half assed car door studies plus a very very rudimentary study of a tri coloured cubes. Christ I feel like i've been lazy just looking at them lol.

Also another portrait. From imagination- I did start it off as a drawing from life though- at least the hair and head structure was. I like the colours at least

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there, just thought I'd drop by and say I love your abstract renderings and the way you render shiny objects basically
    However I do spot problems with the portraits. With your last one the closer eye seems too big, and the mouth maybe too far down...I think you just need more study and practice, maybe with setting the features into the head correctly and in perspective.
    Also the inside shapes of the ear look slightly different to what they do in real life
    But I'm just a beginner, what do I know? Hopefully this still helped somewhat.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Soapy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

@Soapy Thanks for the drop in! Always helps to have crits regardless of whether they come from a pro, intermediate or beginner. If your eyes tell you something is wrong, then something is wrong.

Your crits really point to an underlying problem with my structure and knowledge of proportions. It's been a struggle for me, but one thing at a time i guess. Will pay more attention to it.

---

CA.org has been down awhile and in that time i haven't really been able to get up to speed much. Pretty much the day CA.org went down i recieved news of my grandfather being in a very critical condition (he's 90 years old so no surprise). Due to this i've had to pretty much drop everything and fly straight to Madrid to see him. Been a very busy few weeks and with very little time to focus on drawings. It's all cooled down now so i'll be dropping by the Prado museum and studying some classical paintings! can't let my month in Europe go to waste afterall anyhow this is a mini update.:

Last edited by Little-Maiden; September 26th, 2012 at 08:16 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is a really inspiring sketchbook nice works latest portraits are great

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great looking studies! i especially like the anatomy ones with front and back-side.
    the rendering exercises in the latest update looks very nice too! i need to do some of those.
    keep up the good work!

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 12