Sketchbook: LM - Scratches in the dark - Page 10

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ShiNIN
    Yeah man, crit away, any advice is better than no advice.

Yeah fluid poses aren't easy, its why i'm starting to apply it now. Going from static to fluid and organic is a long jump but one everyone has to take at some point or another.

Tbh i don't lose heart over not having the skill. That comes with mileage and drawing consistently. The problem I have is with imagination, I guess I need to be skilled first before doing imaginative stuff- still theres alot I want to draw but can't really do because its too complex to tackle for now. All in good time. I've only been drawing a year so hopefully this 2nd year will see an even bigger jump.

@Alizak
    The gesture were about 60-90seconds each. I generally do two minute gestures now because it gives time to think of the basic tone and embellish a few details here and there

----
    So, the past two days have been repeated attempts to understand atmospheric perspective, I don't have anything to show since alot of it frustrated me that they're barely even readable. Well keep on trying I guess. >.<

Some gestures, and a few heads and a few poses.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gonna start working more on form and values. Its probably what is holding me back most.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I know the "not enough skill" problem for imaginative stuff... I think almost everyone needs own stuff even in the beginning, from various reasons. There are imaginative stuff that requires very little skill - and it's not necessarily a problem if you try and fail but learn in the process. But we are all different so maybe you maybe studies fit you at the moment. No way I can know it. Just not get trapped, there always will be things to learn.

I think I didn't told you last time: I miss something when I look at your spoons. You might not want to focus on the shinyness and light and whatnot but I can't not think of it if I see (probably shiny metal) spoons. Whenever I draw an object, I get fascinated, the object itself can be very interesting but even if it is not so, light make wonderful things. I enjoy studying light, reflected light, colors, radiosity is one of the coolest things in life IMO

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ShiNIN
    I don't think people should jump into imagination work on the go. You can't draw what you don't know, at least thats the lesson i've taken to heart. Most of the progress I did this year was from Photostudies and Still Life and gestures- lots and lots of gestures. Pencil Mileage I guess.

As for the spoons. I'll do a proper material study once I get the mind to it. Right now they're just quick exercises trying to demonstrate form with just lines. Its good for basic eye measuring and quick line work I think.

Nonetheless thanks for the feedback, i'll be dropping by your SB in due time- probably later tonight or tomorrow.

-------
    update, this is a recap of what i've been up to the past 3 days. Internet has been spotty so uploading was too much of a pain -.-l also Batman Arkham Asylum happened O.o

Been busy so I don't feel like its too much. Around 15 hours over the course of 3 days I think.

The features study wasn't so much about the features as much as it was practice in values and grayscale. I'm off in quite a few but I got fairly close in others. Overall I think it was a success. More on that to come though since I'm far far from perfect.

As for the still life of a cup and soldier. I had about one and half hours to kill and did both. I'm very unhappy since the speed shows very clearly how able I am with digital- which is to say not much! bleh!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still about drawing from imagination or not: I'm almost with you regarding it. My SB is full with others calling upon me to draw imaginative pieces (and more colors) It's true I started drawing quite a few years ago but a lazy one without self discipline combined with a block means very slow improvement. I think I should do mostly studies. I can enjoy studies as well. You can do it without losing heart as well. But there are people who would stop drawing if they didn't have fun stuff. Well some people combine studies and fun, even if just adding fun comments. I'm another type. I like studies but find imaginitive pieces useful as well. They are fun if I do them well; they can tell me about my weeknesses; they require a totally different mindset than referenced stuff. My brain is much more alive, I need to think more.
    Drawing is realtively new to you and you are a unique person so I don't know when you should start doing imaginative pieces but certainly earlier than get to know everything very well. I even think stucking to studies keep people from improving if they do it for too long. I don't want to sound as a arrogant smartass, I just wrote my thoughts
    (and there aren't just copywork and full imaginative pieces, there is a complete spektrum between them)

Nice features, the mouths before were rushed but these are very elaborated
    I don't want to say bad things about the cup, it wouldn't help anything. Maybe you should practice very basic things (I mean ellipses and like), you are better with more difficult stuff it seems.
    The still life with basic solids: The cylinder isn't right and the shading on the sphere is odd. Ellipses, again. Be aware of them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some stuff i've been up to.

Not sure where i'm going with the enviro, its supposed to be a study on various things but i'm lost on a lot of parts.

Last edited by Little-Maiden; March 7th, 2012 at 07:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some crap.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I'd like to say something to your 2 digis from previous post. You used very bright colours on the second picture from bottom, you can add some midtones too. You usually don't find 100% black and white in nature. Check this video: http://www.livestream.com/sickbrushl...d-66a16a295876 (it starts somewhere around 3 minutes) sickbrush is talking about it. On the other side I really love your dynamic poses. Last studies look very good. You update every 2-3 days what is awesome, you are really hard worker. Keep it up.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to blu01 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Blu01 yeah, thanks for reminding me on that issue. Tbh the original work isn't that wide a spectrum in value, i played around with adjustments and it darkened and lightened alot of the palette. Nonetheless it is something I should keep in mind more often.
    ----------

uff, what a terrible terrible week its been. Full of struggling, and despair, with a pinch of muscle cramps, feeling ill and a dash of paracetamol for the mind-numbing headache.

Drawing has felt stressful, only cause i'm getting nervous about my improvement. -.-. Again pushing through.

And so i end this week on a really really low note, with bad drawings, studies and more than a few crappy photos cause im too lazy to bother scanning such bad work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work here, really enjoy how you handle lighting especially. Keep it up.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cgaddict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Little-Maiden--

I've been following your sketchbook. Your improvement and dedication are motivating. I don't want to pontificate or sound like I'm giving you advice that you don't want. If you find what I type encouraging and uplifting then I was able to communicate what I meant. If you take it any other way than I've failed, and you should ignore me.

Insecurity is the ball and chain of inspiration. And we all find ourselves bound to it. Some of us all the time. And some have learned to work in spite of it, and even because of it (it can be very motivating). But for me, ultimately it is defeating. I feel very crushed by it. And it is a feeling I wish I did not feel so often. But it passes. And sometimes things I just couldn't get right when I was all tied down were just waiting to shine. When I draw in a good mood, in a comfortable chair, with nice music and good company, things just seem to flow more easily. I think you're 100% right-- for me I have to work through the hard times too. But I try to measure my skill and progress more optimistically-- what I can really do, the true limit of my potential, is what I can do when I'm at my best. When I am not feeling at my best, well this part helps me build strength and fortitude to do my best more consistently. They're both important, but for me being on my game is what I like to remember when I think of my skill.

You have grow tremendously in your understanding of form and anatomy. And your ability to render light and shadow. Now, to me it seems like you're on a new road. Working more from imagination. For me, techniques that work for learning to studying from life don't work when I'm drawing from imagination, the ways of thinking, and of approaching the problem, are different. And I often have to remind myself that I'm not just learning art, I'm learning how to learn art, and with each skill set (like reference vs imagination work), comes different challenges is how to learn. To me, you exhibit a strong skill set for learning how you learn. The new challenges you face maybe really tough, but I'm confident you will find a solution that works for you. In my experience, sometimes this is easy-- I get it right in the first few tries, and sometimes it is hard-- it takes me weeks or months to figure out how to learn a new skill. But from what I've seen you have a strong work ethic, and will plow through.

Imho, your art looks like you've struggled this past week. And to me you've also consistently produced much stronger pieces. I think you've built a lot of stamina this past week. This is something that I would feel proud of. it wasn't a technical break-through week. But you've had some pretty big breakthroughs recently (I'm referring to several digi imagination pics from the page previous, which I think are all very strong) and it's understandable to hit a slump where you're now working on building consistency. So even though it wasn't a shining week, it looks like strong progress was still made. And I hope you're headache is gone and you're feeling better.

Again, please know that I'm only meaning to offer support. I've thoroughly enjoyed following your sketchbook. Thank you for sharing. And I hope this week is more enjoyable for you!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zy. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Zy. Thanks for encouragement, I replied to your SB. Nonetheless I should state again that I understand the perspective and I agree completely.

@cgaddict haha, thanks, I think you're the first to compliment me on my handling of light- which is uplifting, but I still don't really believe i'm anywhere near an acceptable level of skill in terms of light and shadow.

---
    self portrait, theres other stuff but its not too interesting and im lazy to upload

Last edited by Little-Maiden; March 13th, 2012 at 07:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a very nice sketchbook, keep on working hard!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ezekrialase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ezekrialase Thanks! I will! I just hope it pays off soon! >.<;

-----------
    spent most of the day doing the girl portrait (no ref). I'm not too proud of it tbh, but not disappointed as much as I thought I'd be!

Gestures and a quick quick enviro.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well tried something different.

I was reading up on a few websites, etc. Trying some industrial design style approaches to objects- and with some markers I had lying around.

(unfortunately that was a black oil based permanent marker and a 50% gray stabilo "pen68"). Kinda weird but certainly fun to work with anyways.

All from imagination, little to no-ref used.

Was a fun set of excercises, although difficult at first, but surprisingly slightly easier than I anticipated, at least I think the end result didn't come out as a disaster. I'll let you be the judge though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    self portrait, and a fashion study after watching Matt Kohr's recent video on costume practice.

I feel very..."meh" about it >.<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Little-Maiden-- First, thanks so much for stopping by my sb. Your advice is well taken. I responded to you there as well, and tried to do a study based on your cc. Far from "getting it", but it was a first step I've been thinking more about your comment on stiff hands after replying in my sb. I think maybe part of it, for me, is that it's a feedback loop, I feel stiff and then I stiffen up more. So for myself, I'm really gonna try to stretch and move and run etc more when I feel that way. It may be something that I actually have for a lot longer than I realize, because I just try to work through it... anyway, hope you find a way to work through it that's right for you

I think your costume/fashion study, as well as your industrial design study, are both very very strong. You've got a great command of line, and I really have and continue to enjoy your creativity with industrial design. Your self portraits both look like they're of the same person, so either your capturing your likeness well, or making the exact same mistakes each time When the square brush though? For the portrait of the woman, a few things-- her lips seem off. Remember that lips are wrapping around teeth, which are bulging out and wrapping around the skull, so the lips deform accordingly. Her chin also seems a bit narrow. But I think you're on the right track. The anatomy of the base of the nose looks really good. That's a part of the face I struggle with myself.

Keep it up Little-Maiden!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice job on the self portrait.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @zy. Heh, not strong enough yet unfortunately I find that stiff hands just say you should take a break, go away from the laptop, get up and do a workout or something. I think being loose mentally and physically is important. Its easy to stagnate when learning to draw and paint- i found that out the hard way.

@KONM
    Thanks! compared to previous self-portraits recent ones look more like me, but still off in many many aspects. Well one step at a time I suppose.

---------

another self portrait, using own colours and trying to understand the variation in skin. I think I did ok, but I can't be sure without a third party to beat at it with a stick

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's still a long way till you paint great portrait I can't tear apart if I like Erm, sorry. It's good to know you are a human and not some superpowered talent who owns everyone in a little time. It's natural to make flaws in the beginning and drawing humans is hard enough so this beginning takes quite much times.

So, your very last self portrait. I don't know how you look like in which lighting but the sholw painting looks too monochromatic to me.
    Tilted head is tricky; the ears are at different heights on the head, the eyes are assimmetrical (it's hard to say if it's a flaw, eyes tend to be assymmetrical, after all, sometimes not even slightly), the mouth is a lil bit wonky too. The neck is way too long.

I hope my short comment doesn't sound too... IDK, something that wasn't my intention. I just popped in quickly and spurt out my first thoughts

28. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ShiNIN ah well, if self-portraits were easy there would be no point in doing them. You should try doing one yourself, I'm not sure you have any in your SB. Alot harder than working from ref I find.

-----------

So another self-portrait.

I've got a lot of WIPs over the past 2 days so i'll probably do the massive update tomorrow including the weekly Spartan Camp update.

For now this will do.

So I tried doing it "underlit" in order to challenge myself. I learned a bit more i think, although its very difficult to say the least. I must have gone over areas more than a couple of times.

The one thing I have a problem with is getting the proportion to look right. My nose in this looks too long despite the space between forehead-brow-bottom of nose-chin being equal. Problems problems problems. -.-

I still look weird as hell in it, but i'm gonna call it here.

Last edited by Little-Maiden; March 22nd, 2012 at 06:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well underlit faces tend to look different than their normal version I find such lighting interesting myself, I shouldn't neglect heads as I do lately. I never did a real self portrait myself, I drew my eyes and nose and mouth though and I used myself as some rough reference, a real body is so much more informative than photos
    And I can't find words to say about your last selt portrait, I kinda like it and consider it an important step among the many that leads to great portraits somewhere in the future. And you kinda make me feel like to paint a SP finally... It would be easier if my face would be prettier or more interesting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ShiNIN Thats good, i look forward to seeing your SP.

----

Well, been a busy week barely had time to draw in between work and travelling.

I did some stuff today, but after the week of barely drawing I feel very rusty and very guilty. So this is an update for today before I shoot myself over not being able to do much. Nonetheless, it did give me time to reconsider my approaches and for some reason I feel relatively refreshed in terms of feeling stimulated to continue progressing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *overwhelmed with studies* Wow, great works in there, really nice to see your hard work pay off!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Overtoom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tried going for different style of gestures (focusing on the landmarks) and also attempting to do more organic looking bodies.

The good thing I learned is that i'm having immense problems connecting the head to the torso. So thats on the to-do list now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really liking these latest gestures. Finding the landmarks seems to be working well for you! And YES! I have the exact same problem with attaching heads to bodies. Something I've found helpful is to imagine the head and body as being transparent, and then to draw the neck connecting them, with a cylindrical attachment point on either end. That way I can see where I think the neck should connect the two, and if there is a problem I can start at those connecting points. Also it helps me with perspective.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to zy. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Zy. heh, thanks! it seems im only doing well with gestures. So far my bodies and heads are far to unnatural looking to be considered anything but ugly. Well At least they are getting better I guess. -.-

self-port, feet anatomy for Spartan Camp and some "basic" heads in order to go over head construction basics again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    meant to scan these last night but blah was too sleepy so its this morning instead!

Anyways, mostly sketches from imagination, trying to work poses from scratch more seeing what I know. Still look stiff as hell and odd to me, but i think they look more organic than previous attempts. Still a long way to walk though.

Also a few heads from Hampton books and some vey crappy hands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update, torso studies which im still feeling weird about.

Why is it that while I understand the principles outlined in various books, the end result still looks so odd to me.

I notice some proportions are off in a few which I left in order to remind me of them better. I believe i've picked up a bit in these studies, hopefully i can pick up more in future work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am in love with this sketchbook, grate hard work with the studies, also loving your lines.
    Haha I might study from you

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Hair Fish For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 57