Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    @Patram

Thanks! I wish I was improving in blinks of an eye but it feels terribly sluggish to me lol. I've also got to admit I didnt know that about saturated colours but i've been scared of them since they can be quite...volatile.

I will certainly look into those videos, I have heard alot of Feng Zhu but havent really checked it out much.

---

Update,

I missed my self-portrait Friday last week so heres mine this week. ugh I really should invest in those paper-blending things, though I hate trying to find art supplies where I am atm, theres literally just 2B pencils and the occasional Canson drawing paper available. I can't even find a kneaded eraser *cries*

Also a mirror, this self portrait looked like me initially, then I over-shaded and it turned out completely wrong. *shrugs* more you learn.

Also some skull and ribcage study done from various pictures of skulls and ribcages for the weekly task- as well as a hand study from last weeks.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Liking the rocks and trees and the poses are coming along nicely.
    Lighting is a bit all over the place, though. You seem to jump into detail right away and forget the big planes. Your skin colors are looking a bit muddy, too.
    Don't be afraid to throw in some peaches, roses and even violets.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Xelar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Xalar

Yeah i'm fairly crappy with lighting, Even though I do give it the consideration it derserves I always mess up with shading since I have a terrible habit of thinking of pictures in parts rather than as a whole.

As for the skin, ugh muddy is a nice way of putting it. I'd like to understand the basic "tan" skin tone you see in most concept art. Though i don't fully understand it's palette. I certainly need to study it alot more. Though I don't know what resource I can use for it other than a handful of videos and such.

Thanks for the crits its more than welcome.

-----Update--------

study incoporating what i know of trees,rocks and clouds, and tiny attempt at small waterfalls

a few more scans will come a bit later just posting this as a placeholder for today.

Thanks
    I would like some advice, for anyone who knows about it, I'll probably make a post on in the portfolio review section either way.

Nonetheless,

I'd like to know, how good your portfolio should be to get into a design school, like FZD in Singapore, or the online course at the TAD or perhaps even a Uni/school in Europe (UK/Spain)

I'm at a loss and know that what I have atm in my Sketchbook won't get me squat, but I have no idea what I should have/be producing. I desperately want to get into a school and will soon have the funds to do so. (help from family/savings etc.)

So please, any advice, links, or even plain encouragement will be greatly appreciated.

Update
    -------

Thanks
    Hey Little Maiden thanks for your comment in my sketchbook. I've enjoyed looking through yours and I can see you are improving. I feel that your paintings have a dark look to them and I think it might be because you are using just black to darken colours and shadows?

You might want to try setting up a simple still life like a white toilet roll in a two sided box with a peice of red colour paper on one side and yellow on the other. Set up a single light source to create a shadow so you can see how much colour is reflected into the shadows. I hope that make sense and helps. It something I'm just about to start doing myself.

I think working from photo's compresses the colours and tonal range making colours appear black. You are doing great though so stick at it as there is so much to learn.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks

still life

@ Marian Rowling

I took your suggestion and did a 2hr study. (posted here). I didn't have any boxes to paint and set up the way you suggested but i did have a blue painted desk/shelf that I placed a red apple/orange and a toilet roll in the middle to get the reflected light. It might be my eyes, but it didn't seem like much of the colour was being reflected on to the white, rather the white of the paper was reflecting on to the apple and orange. The blue of the table was practically diffuse and I exaggerated the shadows cast in an attempt at depth.

Still I did learn a few things, as frustrating as sitting and trying to paint this (was on a messed up stool ) was.

Cheers for the advice and tip. I shall indeed perform more of these studies in the future!

Thanks
    Well done Little Maiden I think it's a good attempt, I like the way you've darkened the colours on the objects. I still wonder if the cast shadow behind the toilet roll is a bit to black and should maybe have some blue in it. I'm just in the process of doing a colour study that uses complementary colours on the colour wheel to dull each other.

For example blue and orange. First you have to try to mix a neutral colour from the two, not as easy as it sounds. Then mix the neutral colour with the blue to see what result you get then do the same with the orange. You then repeat this for each set of complementary colours. I'm doing them in acrylic paint but I'm sure you could replicate it digitally. It's really interesting to see how you can dull a colour this way without using black.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Rowling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well Friday portrait happy time! 2hrs (maybe a bit more)

I focused on using Ron Lemen's head construction from a Gnomon DVD, it certainly helped, and I think the features on my head are more or less where they should be, and this self-portrait certainly turned out better than previous attempts and even looks more like me (though still quite not like me)

I should really find some skin textures and being learning to use them in my work.
    Last edited by Little-Maiden; August 5th, 2011 at 08:53 PM.

Thanks
    Updates from working in my SB on feet and my horrible attempts at basic tubeform people. I really just can't get my head around the torso, pelvis. Even with the basic "vest to barrel shape to pair of underwear" basics it comes out so odd! :/

Thanks
    around 3 hours, I messed up alot with layers and initial construction and ate alot of time, even so its still not right. (her face has got an adult's facial proportions :|)

Nonetheless:

From imagination with a few references used here and there.

Thanks
    i see that you really study hard, and you are doing a good job some things I notices you should really try and nail the proportions before anything you can do that by making simple stick characters, you can have bad anatomy and get away with it if you have good proportions.

Proportions make things look good or bad when related to objects or parts nearby

also on portraits watch out for symmetry of the face eyes, flip the canvas that will help a lot

Keep up the good work

16. The Following User Says Thank You to m0uS3r For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    update, studies of features, the muscles on the legs, cubic people (to understand proportion under the advice of mous3r

Thanks
    Woah that's a lot of new work since I last dropped by! Your studies are looking great man. I don't have experience with trying to get into an art/design school, but I'm pretty sure they all have (more of less) specific instructions on what they want to see in a portfolio. If you're targetting specific schools, have you found anything on their websites? One of them is bound to have a list of what they'd like to see, you could use that as a starting point. I'm sure there's also a lot of useful information and good examples in the portfolio review forum: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=230

Wish you the best of luck!
    SKETCHBOOK! IT'S FULL OF HOT RUSSIAN GIRLS WHO WANT TO MEET YOU AND WEIGHT LOSS/TEETH WHITENING SECRETS DISCOVERED BY A NEBRASKA MOM WITH NO ARMS!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Robodrey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Robodrey I'm actually targetting either the TAD or FZD in Singapore, problem is not really about knowing what they want, but rather the "benchmark" quality I should have in my portfolio to stand a decent chance at being accepted. Cheers for the advice though it certainly would bear to do more research and targeting the schools rather than merely having a blanket type approach.

----

so update for past day (i got reading the third book of "A Song of Ice and Fire" 400 pages in 7 hours or so in between doodling and dicking about )

So heres a self portrait 30mins for Friday, its not finished but i tried to focus more on the planes rather than merely construction. Will finish it today at some point. Also some weird cat thingy, was talking with a friend about cats and snails and this came out.

Thanks
    Loving the environments, especially the rock studies.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Nimalij For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast