some WIPS - general illustration

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by stridiggio; April 18th, 2012 at 07:21 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

less is more!!

first:one thing: «less is more» -Mies Van Der rohe

its like you're trying to put all of your ideas in one painting, most of the time the simplest ideas are the best.

heres what i think you should do with your composition:

so that the viewer has a better grasp of the actual idea you are trying to convey ( a painting within a painting) you need to make the painting in the painting stand out more, I like the fact that its blending in but i think its not serving the piece right. you should try to go totally opposite to the environment of the painter ( just a personal suggestion), thats what i would try at least

pretty much all i think you should take off is in red, also try to work on the women in the painting , she looks like shes popping out of nowhere even if its suppose to be seen as is... you should try to integrate her within the landscape

good luck!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by joelle; March 16th, 2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: forgot to say something

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try to find a light scours you feel comfortable with and add those shadows in to make depth. conserve those major highlight on the girls face in the foreground since she seems to be the focal point.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Joelle -Thank you for the crit and tips, you have reason, sometimes I have a tendency to do things like Arcimboldo did in his paintings I'm going to change that...I hope so, meanwhile I'm changing some elements as you suggest me to do, cheers.

Shia-Luciel: Thank you for the tip, I'll do it..there is like a sunset in the scene but surely I'll be adding more deep into the background and volume, cheers.

Little correction:

This is another idea I'm having in mind..
    wip 2:

PS: I changed my account since I forgot the oldest.

Last edited by greenpizza; June 30th, 2011 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey ! im glad to see you took my advice It looks much better , now it breaths... I like your style, it reminds me somehow of a mix between byzantin art and frida kahlo I would suppose all of the anatomy «errors» (ex: small hands) are intended as is ? the perspective is still akward on the first painting, but yeah id leave it be...

for your next piece I would suggest to refine the face, hair and neck, its really blurry and theres some anatomy mistakes with the nose and eyes (one is too big and perspective on the nose is weird. check your reference) since you go really big on details its seems off that from neck up its so blurry.

I'M not feeling the chinese fan and knife? it doesnt sit well with her expression, background and dress.

thats something im noticing in your drawings: theres inspiration taken from a lot of culture, its not a bad thing , its just thats it just makes the scene harder to grasp for the viewer.

hopes this helps ! good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think the back ground is too light. If anything it's too dark. There should be some atmospheric perspective in there. The further your scene gets into the back ground the less saturated it should be.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to abone114 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the comments,
    Joelle. Interesting thoughts.
    yes,there're anatomy errors; the hands are small, perspective is not good at all, and blury regions, thanks for pointing that! I'll change it.

umm, I was thinking in one sword-knife, but thinking about you told me, it has more sense one Umbrella there, I'm working in that very slowly, hehe, .

Abone114: Thank you for the point, actually I'm trying to find a good brush similar as the Digital Airbrush works in Painter, since I got recently Photoshop CS5, I'm trying to find the correct tools to work with and create my owns.

Here a little change.
    Good Day there!.

Last edited by greenpizza; August 2nd, 2011 at 10:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, another wip,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Again I'm as Arcimboldo, hehe,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually this is one sketch but is not too bad for 50 mns, I guess It could be improved since I like the concept.

The Art Student, 50 mns. PS.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm trying to remember someone that is always on my mind (near but it needs more love)...

Last edited by stridiggio; April 18th, 2012 at 07:25 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry to go off-topic, but I really do have to ask...

Why do you make a new account every other time you post? If you want to change your username, there's a thread for that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually I don't know where is that thread, is not easy to find as the CGtalk forum in which u have 15 days to change the username in the profile settings, or I'm too dumb to find where is it.

You know I'm a bit bipolar so when I forget the password (usually always) or I feeling not comfortable with my username when I'm falling down because I lost my motivation or getting up again, symple I change it...is the same thing in cgtalk but here I can't find the Buttom.

So sorry, but I am not feeling very comfortable lately, and nowdays Im trying to change my mind about that..

...sometimes I have these bad thoughts about myselft as human (I'm paranoic and pathetic,) and don't like too many thing about myself and this world...
    hope you don't mind.
    cheers-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by stridiggio View Post
    ...sometimes I have these bad thoughts about myselft as human (I'm paranoic and pathetic,) and don't like too many thing about myself and this world...

I relate to this very, very strongly. I'm struggling with similar issues. I don't want to dish about my mental health problems on a public forum, but if you ever want to talk about it, PM me. *hug*

Here is the link to the name changing thread: link You post the new name you want, and a mod will change it for you. It's not immediate, it can take days. And you'll probably annoy them if you make lots of changes. But maybe it will help you.

I actually like your paintings. I like how crowded and chaotic they can be. Some of them make me feel mildly claustrophobic. I think if you worked on organizing your values more, you could make the over-crowded scenes work reeeally well.

EDIT: And I loooove the concept behind your newest painting. Go, bull! Did you use photos for the bulls? I think it would work better if you painted them (and maybe fixed the man's anatomy, if you're up for it).

Last edited by PuppyKitten; April 19th, 2012 at 06:14 PM.
    'Cuz life is full of your regrets, and I should be one...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i quite like some of your paintings. they show promise, and have implied narrative. that is a skill that is always helpfull in illustration.

Im just going to talk purly technical, as the rest is really up to you, and as i've said i like what you're doing at the moment.

first of all your lighting. do you keep a lighting in mind when you paint? for example the piece with the 3 ladies, it seems like there are like 50 soft lights all around completely eliminating the perseption of form. if you look at a lot of illustration the light is designed to emote a feeling. im not going to give a long blown out lecture as you probably know what i meen. just look at your personal favourites and you'll get a sense of what the artist is doing with the light. also another thing about lighting its good to keep it simple, one dominate light source creating cast shadows. cast shadows unify form and add visual intrest, as well as comunicate form better.

Depth is another thing that i feel you could improve upon. squint at your paintings, emagine that your seeing for the first time and just squint and try to see the pictrure. if i'm being honest i can't read depth from a lot of these, and thats a big problem as creating depth is key to creating a scene. try taking some screen shots from films, turn them to black and white and study them in greyscale and really squint and dont stop working untill the form reads. Also try that with old master paintings and try to work how the achieve depth. still life and cast drawing and stuff like that is good practice. Hue is the second most important aspect of colour behind value.

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh also check jason manleys composition download at the art department, lots of good info on representing depth and good composition and all that jazz.

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

Members who have read this thread: 1