Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Giving up your current life for "art" life

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Giving up your current life for "art" life

Hey dudes.
    First of all, this topic doesn't really relates to myself. I just want to see how other artists thinks about this.
    Btw., sry if there are a few small mistakes -> writing on my iPod...

So, as the title already said, how do YOU think about giving your current life up for art?
    I mean to manage your day that you are practicing and doing art everytime you can!
    For example current life style: Wake up, go to school, go trough the city shops, home for eating, homework,,, drawing / painting,,, other stuff,,, drawing painting,,, watching tv, go to bed

And then giving up this kind of life for something like that: Wake up, school, home, drawing / painting while (!) eating, homeworks fast, drawing painting until midnight! No other things which aren't totally necessary.
    In other words being a "Nerd" for a time.

In my opinion this could be a great way to improve really fast, but you are missing some kind of real life society.
    For a time perhaps okay, but for over years i think you loose toooo much the connection to real life society.

Whats your opinion?
    If you want to improve, is it worth it to give current life up?
    Would you miss society that much?
    Tell me what YOU think.

Greetings, Sil

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 391 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, first of all --->
    Quote Originally Posted by Silwynar View Post
    Btw., sry if there are a few small mistakes -> writing on my iPod...
    Showoff.

Second of all -

So, as the title already said, how do YOU think about giving your current life up for art?
    I mean to manage your day that you are practicing and doing art everytime you can!
    For example current life style: Wake up, go to school, go trough the city shops, home for eating, homework,,, drawing / painting,,, other stuff,,, drawing painting,,, watching tv, go to bed

And then giving up this kind of life for something like that: Wake up, school, home, drawing / painting while (!) eating, homeworks fast, drawing painting until midnight! No other things which aren't totally necessary.
    In other words being a "Nerd" for a time.

In my opinion this could be a great way to improve really fast, but you are missing some kind of real life society.
    For a time perhaps okay, but for over years i think you loose toooo much the connection to real life society.
    How about this schedule -
    *wake up
    *draw
    *draw
    *draw
    *draw
    *draw
    *Draaaaaawwww...

*pause - Eat and pet kitty

*Draw
    *Draw
    *draw
    *DRAW!
    *DRAW!
    *DRAAAW!
    *DRAAAAAAAAAWWWWW!!!
    *DRAWARGHHHfljn....

*pass out

When you get to that point, give us a call.

So, to conclude --->

Whats your opinion?
    If you want to improve, is it worth it to give current life up?
    Would you miss society that much?
    Tell me what YOU think.

P.S. - Nothing personal sweetie, but I`m kinda tired of all those "Must sacrifice something to get better" threads, so there. Next?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PxelSlayer For This Useful Post:

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,883 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thats what I did. I fooled around with art but I was pretty much a regular guy, keeping regular hours and such working at whatever interested me. When I decided I wanted to be an artist I gave up TV and everything else to paint fulltime and built a portfolio. It took me five years and then I was hired at Lucas and went back to being "normal" only now I made a lot more money and I was an artist.

Then, when I decided I wanted to do gallery work I did the same thing again. This time though I kept my job which I liked and painted at night till midnght or 1AM. Now I still dated and had friends but I curtailed a lot of it compared to everyone else.

I also decided not to marry and have children which allowed me to do what I wanted without worrying about how the consequences affected anyone else. I surrounded myself with people that supported and encouraged me. If they didn't I let them go.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty much the same as dpaint for me - except I did the get married/family thing, which does impact how much you can focus on your art but that was/is ok for me.

So to address the question - I wouldn't sacrifice life for art...art is my #1 thing, what I do, who I am, but I build that into my life rather than the other way around. I mean, I became an artist 'cause chicks seem to dig it and I have a valid excuse to draw naked women...no other career seemed to offer that (ok, maybe photography).

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I live in the burbs of NY (working on getting OUT!)

All of my friends & what social life I have is in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens.

I gave up NOTHING!

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Case by case basis but common sense would say, enjoy life the best you can while you're young but don't neglect your art, if you're teaching yourself how to draw then make sure you're following a good instructor like Loomis, Vilppu, Bridgman, etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ..I think you need to have a life, get out and observe,etc otherwise someone may go insane if they gave up all those things. I couldn't pull a howard hughes and live like a hermit...

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Art classes all through grade school.
    Specialized art high school.
    Art school.
    Art job.

Shit, I've never even had an non-"art" life. I am one useless member of society.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Art classes all through grade school.
    Specialized art high school.
    Art school.
    Art job.

Shit, I've never even had an non-"art" life. I am one useless member of society.
    hear, hear!

Except I was self educated, for the most.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like what Jeff said about making art a part of your life rather than making it your whole life. You can't do nothing but draw for too long, you have to get out and experience life because it's the foundation for art. Some of my most powerful songs were brought about by huge emotional events in my life. You can't truly capture the pain of a breakup or a death or the joy of kids and family if you haven't experienced it. If you do the art without living the experiences then you'll be stuck painting bowls of fruit for the rest of your life.

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,656 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wake up, school, home, drawing / painting while (!) eating, homeworks fast, drawing painting until midnight! No other things which aren't totally necessary.
    That was me when I was jobless and my computer broke up. Except without the school and homework part. And I can't eat and draw at the same time. (Bathing isn't "totally necessary", right...?)

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Life is made for living. Art just makes it that much better. So I guess that makes me in the "Make art a supplement to living an exciting life" camp.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never got this notion of becoming an art hermit. You don't have to give up a social life to become an artist... Allow art to be a beautiful addition to your life, not the thing you burn out on from monotony.

I have a pretty good social life. I go hiking, go on adventures, play hockey, have drinks with friends - I just nut up and draw in between everything!

"Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My DeviantArt Profile: http://dyspezzia.deviantart.com/
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.pezzworks.com

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pezz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Thats what I did. I fooled around with art but I was pretty much a regular guy, keeping regular hours and such working at whatever interested me. When I decided I wanted to be an artist I gave up TV and everything else to paint fulltime and built a portfolio. It took me five years and then I was hired at Lucas and went back to being "normal" only now I made a lot more money and I was an artist.

Then, when I decided I wanted to do gallery work I did the same thing again. This time though I kept my job which I liked and painted at night till midnght or 1AM. Now I still dated and had friends but I curtailed a lot of it compared to everyone else.

I also decided not to marry and have children which allowed me to do what I wanted without worrying about how the consequences affected anyone else. I surrounded myself with people that supported and encouraged me. If they didn't I let them go.
    I'm trying to steer away from video games and TV as well, but the roast of Donald Trump was pretty funny, so I'm glad I watched it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its crossed my mind to try giving up everything for art, but it didn't make sense to me to give up things I love to do for one thing that I also love. As someone already said, just integrating art into your life makes more sense than giving up your current life for art. I will say being in college for art has helped me stop playing video games and watching tv significantly compared to how much i used to do both. Even when I'm home I feel disgusted when i just sit in front of the tv. But at the same time, I want to go into the video game field, and its something I love to do so why give it up completely? I will say I draw a lot more in my spare time than i used to, but I do make time for other things I consider important.

Plus, I've been an avid musician for the past ten years, so why throw all the hours of work away?

I make as much time as I can for art, but I am not one for the hermit idea. everything in moderation

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

It's progress, NOT perfection.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eh I don't think I could do that...but now that I'm taking it more seriously I might devote 3/4 of my free time to art or more. Lately its been more like 1/4 or 2/4 =/. I think I'd burn out pretty fast if I did over 10 hours of art a day non-stop......I like to do like two hours at a time with a break in-between to review new information.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well....I actually do spend most of my time working on my art. I have givin up my tv, xbox 360, and as much time with my girlfreind I possibly can without her leaving me, lol. I sneak my sketchpad into work, watch drawing videos while I eat, and look at everything around me as it was my next drawing project. So for a 22 year old, I think I've givin up a lot for my art and have no problem with doing so. It seems like all I want to do is be an artist for a living, so I wil do all I can to get there, and I have a lot of repect for all of you that have made it, hopefully I will be there soon......

And good luck to all of you like me that are striving to make it!!!!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Gragg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If all you do is sit at home and draw eventually you'll run out of things to draw from your stifled imagination. Art and life are inseparable. I tried doing the nothing but art thing once and I ended up miserable. Everyone I know who did go off the deep end and did nothing but draw and paint obsessively ended up as weird closet shut-ins drawing impossibly proportioned women.

Much better to work towards a fulfilling balance.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cadaure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Medelo View Post
    If all you do is sit at home and draw eventually you'll run out of things to draw from your stifled imagination. Art and life are inseparable. I tried doing the nothing but art thing once and I ended up miserable. Everyone I know who did go off the deep end and did nothing but draw and paint obsessively ended up as weird closet shut-ins drawing impossibly proportioned women.

Much better to work towards a fulfilling balance.
    No this is false. Maybe for people you know but not for me or anybody I know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    No this is false. Maybe for people you know but not for me or anybody I know.
    Well, that may be the case, but I'm talking drawing every spare second, 24/7, no breaks from it, no watching movies, no hanging out with people, no decompression, no exercise, just very limited social contact overall. I work a good deal myself and I think I can tell the difference between doing it intensively (which is fine and dandy and what everyone who wants to be serious should be doing) and doing it obsessively.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No videos games, just watching news on TV. I try to steel every minute I can get during to draw, even if it is hard when you need to do 6-8 hours of mathematics a day.

I find the most difficult is not just finding time, but mental ressources as scientific studies requires allot of concentration.

To be or not to be , this is the question !

Help me drawing the head

My sketchbook

PS: Sorry for my bad English

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had enough life, time to learn to be able to do something with it . Later on I can go back if I choose too but I am having tons of fun growing artistically.....you guys act like art isn't life or something, its more alive then some of the "social" things I have done....

My Website I am available for work

31. The Following User Says Thank You to GuruGaia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see what you are saying GuruGaia, but instead of living life first then entering into art, I wish to embrace art first. I want to learn as much as possible, get into an art career, and then when I reach my goal I can spend time on other things, as long as art doesn't completely consume me that is, lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Erase the idea of giving up current life to prioritize art. Make every minute worthwhile by doing art---bring your sketchbook around to hone your skills fast.

Keith Stewart

"Accessible design is good design."
    -Steve Ballmer

Production Fiesta 2011

www.productionfiesta.com

Academy Class
    www.academyclass.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doing one thing only results in a very quick burnout syndrome for me, so no wonder here, Sulphur.

Now I don't have any social life either, no TV, but devoting all my time to art only? Ow, no, kthx.

-><-My sketchbook. Please, if you have time, crit as if your life depended on it.
    Or maybe check out my friends, they deserve it more.
    DeterminedAnimator | Naidy | Kalin | Leo_7 | saltfox | DanielsK5 | Lunatic Hermit
    Drawing group:
    "The fate of us all lies deep in the dark when time stands still at the Iron Hill."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You do realize that to make a living off of art, you'll probably have to spend all day working on art, right?

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What Noah says.
    If you get a job, most companies will work you fifty hours a week if not more during regular schedules and 80 to 90 hours a week during crunch. Most games take 6 months to two years, with crunch lasting 3 to 6 months. So quite frankly you all sound like hobbyists; (except Noah) if you can't do it for yourselves to get good enough to get a job, then you will never cut it as a pro working for other people.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there was a saying, I saw somewhere on this forum I think, that went along the lines of "A freelance artists gets to choose which 80 hours a week he/she gets to work".

My Website I am available for work

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GuruGaia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

I think those artists of the past, especially during the Renaissance period, did nothing in their life except art.
    Like Da Vinci and Michelangelo. Maybe their daily schedule was something like this:

5 AM - wake up
    5 AM - 9 AM - study, draw, paint non-stop
    9 AM - 9.15 AM - breakfast
    9.15 AM - 1 PM - study, draw, paint non-stop
    1 PM - 1.15 PM - lunch
    1.15 PM - 7 PM - study, draw, paint non-stop
    7 PM - 7.15 PM - dinner
    7.15 PM - 2 AM - study, draw, paint non-stop

And they probably repeated this schedule 365 days a year for several decades. It's hard imagining these artists having any sort of social life outside art. LOL Just my hypothesis.

Albert Einstein has said before that "Only one who devotes himself to a cause with his whole strength and soul can be a true master. For this reason mastery demands all of a person."

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon_OND View Post
    I think those artists of the past, especially during the Renaissance period, did nothing in their life except art.
    Like Da Vinci and Michelangelo. Maybe their daily schedule was something like this:

5 AM - wake up
    5 AM - 9 AM - study, draw, paint non-stop
    9 AM - 9.15 AM - breakfast
    9.15 AM - 1 PM - study, draw, paint non-stop
    1 PM - 1.15 PM - lunch
    1.15 PM - 7 PM - study, draw, paint non-stop
    7 PM - 7.15 PM - dinner
    7.15 PM - 2 AM - study, draw, paint non-stop

And they probably repeated this schedule 365 days a year for several decades. It's hard imagining these artists having any sort of social life outside art. LOL Just my hypothesis.
    Leonardo also had to find time to write, invent, experiment, sing, play the lute, schmooze and flatter his patrons, hang out with his boyfriends... maybe that's why he never finished anything.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1