Thread: From 0 onwards

Thanks
    Portrait from life

From 0 onwards

A bunch of stuff from anatomy studies

From 0 onwards

Thought I should try some cartoon guns as well

From 0 onwards

And a bunch of 30 and 90 second studies (This is one of the better practice sheets )

From 0 onwards

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Two big news today... well not that big but kinda big-ish for me. I finally managed to get ahold of a scanner at home so God Willing no more shitty photos of sketches from now on. Just shitty sketches

I also happened to find an old notebook with some of my very very first drawing attempt's. I decided to do one of those little before and after pieces. You know to help motivate me and others and what not. I also took a photo of some of the sketchbooks I filled since I first started (Now I'm almost done with my third book so the stack is significantly higher, but still. It shows that with a minimum of effort you can get pretty far. )

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

Now here is a caricature of my ugly mug and a few more sketches.

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

Keep on trucking, eh?

Thanks
    It´s always nice to see someone else also starting from the beginning.
    My favorites are:
    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...andafter-1.jpg
    and
    http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...cken23/004.jpg (hand)

You should keep an eye on your proportions (humans). In your older works they seem a little odd sometimes.
    Greetings,

P.S.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dracken View Post
    Two big news today... well not that big but kinda big-ish for me. I finally managed to get ahold of a scanner at home so God Willing no more shitty photos of sketches from now on. Just shitty sketches
    Don't be such an emo-kid lol. Bashing your work all the time will only serve to discourage you- weather your joking or being insecure or for what ever reason.
    Never apologize for the level your at. Especially knowing it's so much better than you where 6 months ago.
    In my first post to you I said not to worry about lines so much when your trying to get the fundamentals under your belt. Now I'd suggest you've got enough confidence with the forms that working on your line quality would really help you step your game up.
    Do some simple exersizes to gain confidence in your line work. It will help you work lighter and looser int he beginning and leave you lots of room to explore an image without it getting really muddy.
    Below I'll post a simple line- study. You can do it while your on the phone or watching tv- pretty much anywhere.... I kinda sound like an infomertial -- In just 3-5 minuets a day you too can see line improvements!!! --
    It seems silly but it's really helpful.
    p.s. I saw some of my stuff in post 54 and it made my day ^_^. It's fun watching your progression
    Happy sketching!!

Thanks
    I started the weekend trying to do some simple cartoon people out of imagination. About 30 minutes in I got frustrated, tried using some reference loosely and ended up decided my ability to draw out of imagination is way bellow par. The solution: I will go for 100 sketches of full bodies. As opposed to the usual quick gesture drawings I decided to take my time and work for as long as needed. We'll see if it all pays out in the end or not.

First the more or less ref-less cartoon characters

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

Then the people based on reference and a quick self- portrait to end the day. Not very happy with this post, but I promised myself I won't bitch... so.. yeah.. more to come tomorrow.

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

Thanks
    Another day another batch of sketches. Started off with some hands and stuff from imagination. I tried creating full bodies and some heads from imagination and failed more or less. I think I should spend a lot more time planing these and probably doing them on a larger scale (right now they are barely thumbnails.) Also two hands based on myself.

Anyhow, I spend about half an hour on a study of a man and have to say I'm very happy with it. The addition of the black background made a huge change but sadly the rest of the evenings studies failed to come close to that level. Will have to try to play with backgrounds more, although the main focus now is to get proportions down and create a workflow that makes sense.

Right now I approach each study by looking for the main action line/ the spine of the model. Once I have that I try to set everything up loosely by working with the 8 body parts. Once that is done I go in and carefully try to render the muscles. Seems to work okay... Now I just have to get it to work for my imagination.

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

Thanks
    Good stuff in that last post! Kneeling guy and top hat guy are really solid.
    I found my imagination stuff got a lot stronger as my perspective and life drawing improved.
    It's hugely important to think of the volume with cartoon characters - even the super simple and flat looking characters have volume in mind
    Happy sketching !!

Thanks
    Thank you thank you

That is one of the big changes I'm trying to do. Think of everything as a shape with volume. Instead of drawing lines I try to draw cylinders and spheres and then shade them. Much harder than it seems

So I started my day with some stuff from imagination/ inspired by Aladin. The idea was to look at the animation sheet, put it away and try to draw a character.

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

Then I moved onto life drawing and for a change I decided to bust out my colored pencils. Also with the second girl I decided to try and re-create her in my mind and draw the body in a different position while looking at the reference. Was incredibly hard for me, so I'll try again tomorrow and hopefully it will help me push my brain down the right path.

From 0 onwards

Thanks
    Didn't d a lot of work today because I got distracted by my day job/ boring daily routine. I did make a sticker though (mixed the glue to be similar to post-stamp glue, dry and easy to handle until wet). Pretty happy with the result.

From 0 onwards

And here are two models from today. Didn't get around to doing any imagination stuff, but focused on the lines and value a lot more. I think my proportions are still off a bit... but maybe things are a bit better? maybe?

From 0 onwards

Thanks
    Here is some more stuff. Tried some faces from imagination and some more quick studies of bodies. Not much but gotta keep pushing.

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

Thanks
    I see a bunch of my posts never updated. Well here is what I've been up too.

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    You worked a lot while I wasn't around, good I see some nice figures and I dig the portrait in #101

Thanks
    Here is a quick self portrait from tonight. Kept doing the anatomy and figure studies, but thought this was not too bad. Messed up the glasses, ear and the beard looks lazy.

I guess I also need to learn more about value before really getting into color.

From 0 onwards
    Last edited by dracken; October 2nd, 2011 at 09:40 PM.

Thanks
    Made a few more stickers tonight to join my previous one, pretty happy with how they look.

From 0 onwards

Then a bunch of studies from the past couple of days. I try to draw quick figures/ draw from imagination to see where the problems are and then I go back and study anatomy and Bridgman to try and fix things.

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

More stuff tomorrow.

Thanks
    More stuff from the past few days.

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast