Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: From 0 onwards

Thanks
    An early update for today, mostly older stuff. I also added some even older stuff in the second post of this thread so people can see where I was in November last year...
    The post today is all anatomy study from January or so. A combination of Alienthink and a book on anatomy I picked up at a closing down Borders for 9 bucks (Will miss those sales)

Going to figure drawing tonight... very tough stuff, but really helpful. Drawing from life is such a difficult concept, but I can really see the improvement after each session.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi, good start to your sketchbook here, I like the self portraits! I did those alienthink tutorials too a few years ago when they came out..it's a good jump start into anatomy, good luck with them

Thanks
    Missed five days because of computer problems, but here is some new stuff, based on the Vilpu drawing manual as well as life drawing.... comments and such are appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 917 Posts
    it's awesome that you're looking at loomis and vilppu for figure drawing basics. they're awesome.
    it looks like you have good observational skill, too.
    my suggestion [and i might have to come back sometime after i find perhaps a visual to help say what i mean] is to not rely on outlining forms to say that they're there.
    i see very good hatching in the abdomen area of your life drawings in the last post, which show both where the light is coming from and what shape his ribs, muscles or belly are. try that for places like the legs and shoulders too!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    That is awesome advice.I think this post by Vastel might illustrate your point

These are all images from tonight. Tried focusing on drawing value as opposed to lines. Used charcoal and squinted a lot. To spice things up I also used some pen, still focused on values, but tried crosshatching a lot. Didn't look as good as I hoped, alas some day.

Thanks
    Feeling bummed out tonight... nothing seems to look good, my lines are crap and I my eyes hurt. Sigh... maybe things will be better tomorrow.

These are all from tonight and yesterday. They are inspired by life drawing session / photo/ other drawings around this very forum. If anything looks decent t probably means I copied it from a better artist (I think Miles's or Algenpflege' sketchbooks inspired me for the last few drawings, but I don't remember 100%)

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards
    Last edited by dracken; February 19th, 2013 at 09:51 PM.

Thanks
    Here is another batch of updates from the past few days.

Most of this should be either from Loomis or Villpu or life drawing. I really like the idea of the flowing gesture/ force motivating the actions of the figure. This book(Dynamic life drawing for animators) really helped me understand the concept, it's awesome in combination with Villpu

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards
    Last edited by dracken; February 19th, 2013 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks
    Although I didn't update recently I've been constantly working (finished the sketchbook I used before and started a new one , most recently I completed 70 head/ face studies over a period of two weeks. However all of that is done traditionally and my camera is currently broken, so I had no way to showcase it on-line.

I recently started working on 30 second gestures on my PC so I guess that will make for a good way to show progress. I also started doing more life studies and will post some here. (I have a few self-portraits that are simply too horrid to look at)

Here is a quick life study:
    From 0 onwards

More work

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

Finally a DSG for an artificial intelligence repairing itself.

From 0 onwards
    Last edited by dracken; February 19th, 2013 at 09:56 PM.

Thanks
    I love the onion, and there is improvement in your self portraits, though look at your subejct more. On the train self portrait your cheek looks slightly large, making it look like you've put on weight, it just needed 'trimming' if you know what I mean. Spotting things like that will come with time. Keep going!

Thanks

Nice!

I envy your people drawing skills and your energi at trying to get better at drawing!
    I really suck at drawing people so cant' give you any critique. But Keep On rocking! and keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Yo man u need a scanner if ur producing this volume of work ;]

Concerning your head studies : Always the head is 5 eye's wide. i think one thats in place, your features will fall into place. also dont drop the eyes too low under the brows. other than that, solid progress, definately on the right track to be a sick artist.

Thanks
    Ahh a scanner would be nice... Alas, in the meantime here is some more digital stuff. I'll try to borrow a camera in the coming days and put some more stuff up, or maybe scan some stuff at work. Till then enjoy some poor quality digital drawings As usual, the quality of these is horrid, but maybe some day I'll be better.

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards
    Last edited by dracken; February 19th, 2013 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks
    Here are some dumps from the past month or so. A bunch of cartoon heads from Loomis and a bunch of 30 sec gestures and a few heads from reference.

Many of these drawings are inspired from the sketchbooks here. If it looks good you can assume it was copied from a better artist. In fact if you lurk around here a lot you should recognize some of the concepts (that house on the third post was from Dan's schetchbook ? maybe? not sure... too many talented people on this forum, too much insporation).

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards

From 0 onwards
    Last edited by dracken; February 19th, 2013 at 10:01 PM.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast