Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts

Misc Gaming Miniatures

StarSword is a little project that I started just for fun.
    I just got a new batch of GS (my old batch was from '97 and is now too hard to work with.).

It turns out the miniature most likely to be finished is now the 'Astro Knight'. Scale will be 28mm heroic.
    It is not much of a scale by the way. Humans are often taller than 28mm, and the proportions are often
    more chunky and comical. According to some sloppy calculations of mine, I'll be working at around 1:59
    and humans will be less than 6 heads tall, and a bit chunky.

My Astro Knight, not depicted below, will be about 35-37mm standing up. Mine is crouching like a beakie
    marine though.

Misc Gaming Miniatures

I used to play with soft clay as a kid, but I never really made any serious attempts at sculpting until now.
    I'm learning something new for every step that I take. I don't think that I'll be particularly happy with the
    finished results here (my mistakes are already apart of the sculpt when I discover what I should've done),
    but I'm satisfied with my rate of learning.

Most recent discovery: Pick just the right amount of putty, knead it with the fingers into a decent approximation
    of the shape that you want, then apply to miniature, push into place and adjust. Just pushing a random blob
    onto the figure and trying to sculpt that into shape was far more time consuming I think.

First I made a few different armatures from telephone copper wire I had laying around. I wanted to be able
    to work while other stuff was curing. As it turns out, the later stages of detail sculpting is incredible time
    consuming for me, so I can't work on all of these simultaneously. Oh, the Prince August Goblin is just an
    experiment. I found my old Prince august Fantasy Armies molds, and decided to press some GS in them.
    I used food oil as a separator. It... kind of worked, but there was a lot of flash and cleanup work.
    Misc Gaming Miniatures

I really should've been more careful with the underlying shapes here, because it turns out that the next
    step is the detail layer and some of the GS from this stage here will be exposed. So, these volumes has
    to be right, and polished.
    Misc Gaming Miniatures

I'm starting to add some outer detail volumes here. They're a bit round and blobby. There are other putties
    more suitable for sandpapering and carving than GS, but with a little patience you can still do some cleanup
    work with a knife and sandpaper. The leg on the chibi soldier turned out too trunky. I'll have to strip it and redo.
    You have to be really careful with volumes migrating when sculpting/pushing soft putty. I lost of the the leg
    muscle curvature and ended up with a sausage.

Still, overall I'm comfortable working with an internal shape that I add skin on top of. That's how I did the
    helmet, and it helped me to keep the shape stable. I just need to be way more careful when forming the
    underlying shape.
    Misc Gaming Miniatures

Sorry, this one is blurry, I was in a hurry. The legs of the Astro Knight are nearing completion. I have the
    feet and cleanup work left (sharpening with a knife, and sandpapering/polishing flats). All the pushing
    changed the pose a little, so the character is off balance now. I might be able to angle the feet to adjust
    for that, or lean/hunch in the upper body a bit.
    Misc Gaming Miniatures

The arms and the backpack will be a bit of a pain since they're symmetrical. Thinking about getting some
    instant mold or making a GS mold, because the shapes are pretty much symmetrical.
    Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; March 14th, 2011 at 03:15 PM.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Prometheus|ANJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    do you do the concept art for cortex command? if so your stuff is awesome.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Hey Pro, you could always switch to a polymer clay if GS is a pain - you'd have to get it cast in resin first before metal but maybe something to think about.
    You might also want to try kneadatite brown stuff either by itself or as a mix with GS, it makes working on 'hard edged' stuff a lot easier (it holds a sharper edge, can be sanded/filed etc)

Looking forward to seeing where you are going with this - there are several forums around dedicated to sculpting gaming miniatures.

Thanks
    Raumer> Thanks, yes, I'm doing work for CC. I was thinking of finishing the CC soldier if I finish the Astro Knight.

Venger: Yeah, I've been considering milliput or brown stuff, but all I have atm. is GS...

Some progress on the torso. I'm not looking forward to doing the arms because symmetry is kind of a pain. I'm thinking that I might be able to wrap GS around an armature, then cast/press that in GS molds. Let it almost cure, take out and nudge around.

Misc Gaming Miniatures

Misc Gaming Miniatures
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Prometheus|ANJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Studs/emblems, yes. That's how Scibor (http://sciborminiatures.com/i/2011/b...ic_lord_02.jpg) works.

Actual arms?... Good luck, keep us posted.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ View Post
    GS, beakie marine
    Careful now.

I just got a new batch of GS (my old batch was from '97 and is now too hard to work with.).
    Strewth. That's longer than I've been in 'the hobby'.

Scale will be 28mm heroic... According to some sloppy calculations of mine, I'll be working at around 1:59
    and humans will be less than 6 heads tall, and a bit chunky.
    I'd say be careful with the proportions anyway. The legs are looking a bit short and spindly to me, even taking heroic scale and bulky armour into account. Otherwise, stuff's looking good. The armour plate edges are in danger of looking a bit soft, but see below.
    (Although if you go ahead with that dreadnought design on the Starsword page, I might bite your arm off for a copy.)

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    there are several forums around dedicated to sculpting gaming miniatures.
    Ayup.

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ View Post
    Venger: Yeah, I've been considering milliput or brown stuff, but all I have atm. is GS...
    In my experience, it's very worthwhile getting at least one 'secondary' type of putty. GS isn't too bad, but just about anything else has less spring and can let you achieve sharper edges and carve 'n' file more easily. A GS/BS mix, as Venger mentioned, is popular. Ditto GS/milliput.
    Milliput can be tough stuff to handle if you're used to chewing-gummy GS, but I'm in love with GS/milliput mixes meself. (And GS + magic sculp/apoxie sculpt/cold clay. The claylike putties work very well with GS, in my opinion) Also, there may be an art to sanding green stuff, but I'll bet when you get a taste of these others you'll wonder why you bothered.

I'm not looking forward to doing the arms because symmetry is kind of a pain. I'm thinking that I might be able to wrap GS around an armature, then cast/press that in GS molds. Let it almost cure, take out and nudge around.
    The term 'green stuff push mould' brings me out in a cold sweat. If you're very serious about this, I'd suggest you get the components cast up in metal or resin, by yourself or professionally. Otherwise, keep the parts simple, stripped down to the bare essentials; use a greater proportion of yellow in the mix to keep it loose; push it in good; and perhaps resist the temptation to take a peek before the stuff's fully cured.
    Also, after the bigging-up: milliput and press moulds don't mix well.
    ...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    I used to work with milliput in the early-mid 90's, but it was too 'bouncy' for me. Not sure if it handles differently nowadays. GS keeps its shape pretty nicely i think.

The small legs are deliberate (see body proportion notes on my StarSword page ). They may be a tad smaller on the sculpt than on the sketch. It's really hard for me to sculpt with precision. I need to do very clear / thin line art and get one of those micro measuring thingies.

This thing is a bit of a learning piece I suppose. It's leaving me pretty exhausted.

Progress report. Arm pieces have been sculpted, oiled and put into GS. Hopefully it will separate. I mixed in some extra yellow to make the mold half a bit softer. Yeah, I'm keeping my parts very simple for the GS press molding.

I've built up the collar, which is pretty rough. I plan to cut/sand it into a more defined shape.

Feet and knee joints done.

Misc Gaming Miniatures

Might do some weapons. Here are a few sketches that I need to clean up.

Misc Gaming Miniatures

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Prometheus|ANJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    good job!

Thanks
    I'm still unsure about the exact proportions (especially hand and feet size), but the head was too large so I'll have to redo it from scratch. The torso symmetry needs a lot of work too. I changed the design a bit when I drew the more defined line art. Fuzzy pencil marks also makes the design fuzzy and it's easy to slide away in the bad direction with relations/proportions when interpreting.

With the legs crouching, it's hard to dell whether they're a bit short or not.

Misc Gaming Miniatures

Working on the arms now (refining my newly 'pressed' GS parts). The biggest problem will be getting the torso in order, and figuring how to fit the backpack on. They might need to be slightly swivel'able so the arms and shoulder pad are less restricted.

Muscle man is a bit of nonsense. I'm not sure how to deal with him fitting in the armour. Alter anatomy, or armour. I don't want to alter the armour too much, because it might lose its hulkyness. I might pull in the upper arms a bit more to make them more natural.

Again, this is about 40k scale, so that female is a tad taller than an Escher Juve. The Astro Knight is taller than a Space Marine, but, 40K SMs are not to scale with their stature in the fluff (look up True Scale Marines).
    Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; March 18th, 2011 at 05:21 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Prometheus|ANJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Temporarily assembled. It's a bit rough and blobby here and there. I might fix some of it, but I don't have time to work on this much longer. Tax declaration time :/

Misc Gaming Miniatures

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prometheus|ANJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This is really awesome. I use a GS for more organic shapes and Milliput for the harder edged stuff myself, at these sort of scale.
    I do like your original design!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    looks promising and i'm sure you're learning a lot.
    btw what is GS? a brand name or acronym for the brand name?
    keep up the good work it's always fun to change mediums and expand the brain's knowledge.

Thanks
    Looking good! The abdomen looks a bit long. It might be because of the join, but beware cause these joints (where two parts connect) tend to add distance both in casting and in assembly.

A new scalpel can be used to "scrape" instead of filing. greenstuff doesn't like anything but the highest quality files. I recommend ProCreate over GS. All the good properties of GS but with less memory effect. And it's easier on the eye with light grey putty instead of dark green.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MattGamer View Post
    looks promising and i'm sure you're learning a lot.
    btw what is GS? a brand name or acronym for the brand name?
    keep up the good work it's always fun to change mediums and expand the brain's knowledge.
    GS = Green Stuff

Misc Gaming Miniatures

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Just dont buy it from Games Workshop - it's much cheaper elsewhere/online.

Kneadatite Blue/Yellow Epoxy putty is it's correct name (it comes in tapes or bars)

http://polymericsystems.com/epoxies-...lue-yellow.htm

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Venger For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast