Art: a crazy casting proposal
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: a crazy casting proposal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a crazy casting proposal

hi. i was watching the discovery channel the other day on an episode about their was a guy making a hoax with a "giant" foot mark on the ground. the reason i spring that up here was because the method employed by the guy was very interesting; he created a cast from his own feet then soaked it with some special liquid to blow it up like 5 times its size to mimic the scale of the "giant".

so i was thinking, em...can i do one myself, but with a y wing cast made from a tiny y wing toy like this:

so my question is: is it possible to blow a tiny mold or a cast very large?? so in my case, is it possible to use this tiny y wing toy to help create a giant y -wing?? i know its crazy, i would apologize for this. but if it can, i think it would be amazing!

hope to hear your opinion on this.

many thanks!!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

You, sir, are CRAZY! :)

Silicone expands dramatically if soaked in kerosene or naptha. Unfortunately, it isn't a perfectly dimensional expansion. Your y-wing would look distorted.

Conversely, alginate castings shrink as they dry out, but here again the 'miniaturization' is distorted. Still, you can get some pretty fun looking shrunken heads, for instance, by repeatedly casting, molding, and recasting a face lifecast in alginate.

Recent rapid prototyping technology can scan and 'print' objects in three dimensions, and can change the scale as well. This route is probably out of the price range of the average hobbyist for now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    look up hydrospan 100, though for the time and expense you might as well look up model kits in a larger scale

http://www.industrialpolymers.com/pr...panding-resin/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hydrospan 100 looks cool..good find there Sloopster.... i checked the info and the video , but in order to achieve the whatever % enlargement you wish, you are going to go through 4- 5 different moulding stages and if i understood right after you let it set for 24 hours you need to put it in the water for 10 days in order to be enlarged.
    As cool as it sounds and probably i will order some to try it, i think you are going to finish faster if you actually build a model from scratch and is going to cost much less for sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can't do it in the way you want - because you will also be replicating all the lack of detail, and issues of finish. Bascially you will end up with a lumpy mess. Hydrospan will not duplicate exactly either. You will need to build one yourself. The feet worked well because it was an organic shape, but this is not, and it's not going to deliver the result you're after.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, this will be like blowing up a photograph. You'll get a really good look at the pixels.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.